cutting factory main spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
billhac

cutting factory main spring

Post by billhac »

hi all i was talking with a couple of buddies(one is a gunsmith) about what can be done about the tough DA on my p64. now we all know about just getting a spring kit from wolf, but my buddies said that they both cut one ring off of the main spring and grinded it flat with a dremmel, and after firing theirs, it was a bit lighter, i might even say managable, so i just want to get some opnions from some of you on this board, has any one tried this and had any luck? i did order my spring kits, and with priority shipping should be at my door by the end of the week.
billhac

Re: cutting factory main spring

Post by billhac »

Ok, nobody wants to comment. Well I got my spring kit from wolf today, I did the main spring change, but before that I cut one ring off of the factory spring and, wow, its allmost exactly the same, I shot it both ways with no issues at all so for me I left the cut down factory spring in it. So if any one is looking for alternatives to buying and waiting for a spring from wolf, this is a great option.
billhac

Post by billhac »

I changed the factory spring for the 18# wolf then back. I did not use the 19 or 20
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

I have trimmed some hammer spring and read on this forum of members using other hammer springs.
If you like it, good!! I believe it best if hammer is decreased, then recoil should be increased.
At least we got a source for some springs. Welcome
billhac

Post by billhac »

Btw I did change the recoil spring to the 22# it made a hell of a difference to the web of my hand. I think it is now my favorite.
koolkats

Post by koolkats »

bill,

Did you grind the end flat?