First Gun

Info, pictures, advice...
A Future Pilot

First Gun

Post by A Future Pilot »

Hey all, I'm John and I'm new here :)

I used to know a guy who had a P64 and I fell in love with it at first sight. Sadly, I never got a chance to actually shoot it, but I loved how it felt in my hand.

I'm 19 now and I plan on concealed carrying the day I turn 21. I really love the P64, but just wanted y'alls opinion on it as a first gun. I'll be doing a wolff spring replacement, and I'm thinking I'll get a model 2 holster and a magazine holder from US Gunleather.

What would y'all suggest?

Thanks!
Transport

Re: First Gun

Post by Transport »

Sounds like you are on track!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

A Future Pilot wrote:Hey all, I'm John and I'm new here :)

I used to know a guy who had a P64 and I fell in love with it at first sight. Sadly, I never got a chance to actually shoot it, but I loved how it felt in my hand.

I'm 19 now and I plan on concealed carrying the day I turn 21. I really love the P64, but just wanted y'alls opinion on it as a first gun. I'll be doing a wolff spring replacement, and I'm thinking I'll get a model 2 holster and a magazine holder from US Gunleather.

What would y'all suggest?

Thanks!
Sounds like you know what you want. Make sure you know the concealed carry laws for the state you are in. Even if a permit is not required it's still a good idea to take the class and get the permit if you can. Also practice, practice, practice. The more you practice the better you will know how your weapon functions/preforms. Start slow. Slow is fast, fast is slow.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

A Future Pilot wrote:I really love the P64, but just wanted y'alls opinion on it as a first gun.
OK, you asked for my opinion, here it is.

I don't think the P64 is a good "first gun." It makes a great CC gun but it's not so hot as a first gun. The recoil ranges anywhere from punishing to "stiff" depending on what the shooter is used to. If it's a first gun and the user isn't used to shooting anything, then the recoil is often described as painful. I own a Kel Tec PF9, which also has a reputation for being a "snappy" recoil gun and the PF9 is pleasant to shoot in comparison with the P64.

Further, the grip tends to be a bit too small, and therefore uncomfortable, or at the very least "odd" to many shooters.

Additionally, the sights are small and hard to pick out. Myself and many others have taken to painting the sights for better visibility.

The 6+1 magazine capacity ensures frequent mag swaps at the range.

All in all, it's a gun that I enjoy at the range for about one magazine and am done shooting by 3 or 4 mags.

Don't get me wrong, it's a durable weapon, as accurate as the day is long, conceals well, and is kinda "sexy" in a James Bond walther PPK sorta way. I just think that there are better first guns. A .22LR comes to mind as does an all-steal full-sized service 9mm like the Beretta 92fs, or even a 6" Police .38 Special (or a 6" .357 Mag shooting .38 Specials).

As a staring gun even a Hi Point C9 is better. It's still low capacity (8+1) but it's weight, comfortable grip, decent sights, and 9mm chambering make it much more pleasant to spend time with at the range learning good shooting habits.

If you're set on the P64 (which isn't bad) then I'd say stick with the P64 and get an additional firearm to spend range time on. The CZ82 would allow you to keep the same caliber as the P64 and is a nice range-time gun but there are any number of pairings from low to high price.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Kirk has given good advice. Range time with a 22lr is time well spent also at a fraction of the cost.

Cz82 is a nice CCW piece although a little on the bulky side but will do.

I often carry my first handgun from 35 years ago, a S&W model 60 38 snubby. Always goes bang and no worries about mechanical malfunctions.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Thank you all for your advice!

I'm not entirely new to guns...I've shot a decent amount before. This'll just be MY first gun :)

I've looked at the cz82 and I think I may get one of those as well for more of my practice shooting since it's pretty similar and takes the same rounds.

Is the cz82 too large to conceal carry?

Thanks!
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

The CZ is a great companion to the P-64. Very accurate and twice the capacity. The grips feel really nice if you have big hands. Still good deals on them out there, well worth the money. It could be used for CC but mainly in conjunction with a coat or loose clothing as it is quite a bit larger (thicker) than the P-64.

I also suggest a .22 pistol to help kick off your arsenal. The Ruger 22/45 is a great choice. There's also a look-alike Makarov CO2 BB pistol from Umarex that's great to practice with in your basement/backyard/garage.
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

So I'm thinking I may get a Ruger before my 21st birthday to practice with and get good on, then get my CC license and P64 on my 21st.

I'm looking at the 4" version of this one: http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Target/models.html

Does that look good for a first gun?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I won't be carrying before I'm 21. Just range shooting :)
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Future Pilot, must admit the idea of getting a good quality .22 and practicing is an excellent idea. And I must admit that the P-64 makes a good CC gun, easy to hide and easy to use when needed, but I also carry other sidearms depending on my perceived need or just how I feel that day. And that being said, there is no "best first gun", there is what fits your needs the best. I myself carry a CZ-82 frequently, I find it much easier to conceal than my 1911 and it fits my hands extremely well, which are not large. I say this to illustrate the fact that you should handle, fondle, shoot, look at, read about and otherwise gather all information available to you about a sidearm that interests you, then have a long conversation with yourself about what your TRUE needs in a CC sidearm are, then choose what fit's you the best. You will then have found the BEST CC sidearm for you, not what someone else say's is the best for you. But do consider everyone else's opinions because opinions are like rumours, they all have a grain or more of truth in them. :D
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Makarov Mohican

Post by Makarov Mohican »

First Gun ever? No. Bad idea. The recoil feels like you are using the thing as a hammer on the web on your thumb. Needless to say a day after 150 rounds and it still hurts a bit. The Radom P64 and other small 9mms (and revolvers) like it would be a punishing instructor for shooting. Get a .22 first to learn and practice all the basics.

First "real" gun buy? Perhaps, if you have the fundamental experience and you know what you are getting into. Like I said, you might as well call your range trips "hammer time" because that is what P64 is going to do to your hand.

CCW? I don't see why not, a $10 Wolff Spring trigger job turns it into a swell piece in my opinion. Its thin, has smooth edges, and not too heavy which is usually contrary to what you'd typically expect from a com-bloc leftover all the while still being cheap and reliable. There might be better choices, but its hard to beat a reliable and powerful, <$250 gun that isn't much bigger than a wallet.

Edit: To add I own a P64 and am now lusting after .22lr revolvers (the one a learned to shoot on was my grand pappy's) because I'd like to spend a part of my range time with something that isn't going to kill my hand.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

How about a Makarov? Same caliber, and in my opinon,
a really great carry gun.
Denny
kimmaj

Post by kimmaj »

First, let me say I am really glad to have found this site.

I am posting to this topic as I just purchased a P64 last night, and, technically, it is my "first gun".

I have over the last year been shooting a .22LR and most recently, the GLOCK 19 9mm my husband purchased in September of last year. I really appreciated the advice you provided to Future Pilot here and thought I'd look for a little myself. I live in Illinois so by the time all waiting periods, etc. are complete, the first time I will be able to shoot this firearm at the range will be next weekend...and always like to know what to expect the first time I shoot a gun.

I had been shopping 9mm Sig's and Ruger's before Christmas, and upon returning yesterday, found none of the firearms I had been considering were available. The very experienced older gentleman helping me listened to my concerns and what I didn't like about shooting with GLOCK at the range. I have very small hands, and the GLOCK grip in terms of girth is just not comfortable. He steered me to a very nice 1971 (year of import from Poland) used P64. After going through the gun with him he had addressed my concerns and I purchased this over some of the brand new guns that were on my list. I just really like the fit of the P64 for me, and if things ever get straightened up in my state with CC laws, I think it will make a very nice CCW (after classes and certification of course!)

So...after reading about how punishing the gun can be after shooting off a couple of rounds at the range, I am a little concerned. The size and power of the GLOCK left my hands feeling pretty punished, so my actual question is, for those of you who may have had experience shooting both the GLOCK and your P64, is the P64 about the same, better, or more punishing than the GLOCK? I know I most certainly will take your advice on continuing to use the .22LR at the range for practice, and just some slow, short practice rounds with the P64. I am still in my infancy of being a gun user and know I have a lot to learn :D
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, you can always add a 22lb recoil spring and a rubber slip on grips over the plastic grips to help in the recoil department.

Give us a range report .
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
novacz

Post by novacz »

A Future Pilot wrote: Is the cz82 too large to conceal carry?
The cz82 is a nice size for carry. The P64 is noticeably smaller however and is getting into the range of something that you could carry in a pocket. In addition to size, the P64 also has low profile sights and smooth edges, which make it an even better candidate as a carry piece. For waist carry, I don't think the smaller size would make the much of a difference. If you wanted to pocket carry, the P64 would have a clear advantage.

However, as others have said, it's a small blowback pistol chambered for a fairly powerful round. I haven't shot the copy that I picked up a couple days ago, but my cz82 certainly has some decent kick to it.
novacz

Post by novacz »

I snapped a couple quick photos for size comparisons:

Here's the profile view of a P64, CZ82, and a Walther PPS (common modern carry pistol)

Here's a view from the back: