springs again

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
billhac

springs again

Post by billhac »

hi all, long time no post, i know this has been answered many times before but i would like to order the springs from wolf, and i just wanted to know what you guys are using in your p64s, this one is now my EDC so i want it to be the best it can be, now i know i can buy the spring kit with the 18,19,20# springs but i was really wondering what you guys use in yours and which recoil spring you use, i know that most of you it seems use the 22# recoil spring but wolf does offer a 24# spring as well, do you think it will keep recoil to a minimum or will it be to stiff to cycle? just want to get some input before ordering, all opnions are welcome
thanks guys
Attachments
p64 2.jpg
p64.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: springs again

Post by Curly1 »

I have the 22lb and 17lb springs. Recoil is still on the snappy side.

I like those grips are they Marschals?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
billhac

Post by billhac »

yes they are. do you carry yours? if so what position do you leave the hammer in? decocked with safety on or in da? how does the trigger feel with the 17#
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

billhac wrote:yes they are. do you carry yours? if so what position do you leave the hammer in? decocked with safety on or in da? how does the trigger feel with the 17#
This question comes up pretty frequently:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5074

I like the 22lb (most they offer) recoil spring with the 18lb hammer spring on mine. With the hammer pak you can adjust if you encounter light strikes.

I carry decocked (hammer all the way down) on fire. Some frown on this. But it's how I've been trained, and practice. Yes there is more potential for an accident, but when carrying there is always potential for an accident. I also practice simple safety measures such as always putting my thumb over the hammer when holstering, that way I have positive control should something catch up..... I'm also planning on bobbing my hammer, it will reduce the likelihood of the hammer catching on clothing.... I'd suggest you practice both ways dry or with snap caps and see what you are more comfortable with. Comfort does not always equal safety but it sure helps.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
billhac

Post by billhac »

first i want to correct my self as to the recoil springs, i said that wolf has a 24# recoil spring, now i dont know where i was looking but there is no 24# spring the most is the 22#er, it was late and i was drinking i guess, thanks for your input, i know that most use the 18# hammer spring and that is what im thinking of going with, but i will buy the pack so i have the other options as well. as far as carry, i think i will carry round chambered and i DA mode, i like this position, because when i draw and aim just have to squeze the trigger to fire, i dont have to fumble with the safty or with cocking the hammer, my trigger pull without the spring upgrade seems ok to me,so i guess im just wondering if that is a safe way to carry, for now i carry round chambered, hammer decocked and safty on, but it slows aim down considerably at least for me. thoughts?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

billhac wrote:if you move the safty into fire the hammer stays put at about 1/8 inch from the firing pin, kind of like a half cock
Although it might look like a "half cock" it's not. It's the natural place of rest when not in motion. That iswhere the tension of the spring holds it. When cocked and the hammer is pulled the tension of the spring wants to move the hammer to that position. The inertia of the hammers motion however is enough that it follows through past that position to hit the firing pin.
billhac wrote:iv been carrying mine in that position around the house, unloaded of course, just to see if it will move to the firing pin, i like this position, because when i draw and aim i am in DA and just have to squeze the trigger to fire, i dont have to fumble with the safty or with cocking the hammer, so i guess im just wondering if that is a safe way to carry, for now i carry round chambered, hammer decocked and safty on, but it slows aim down considerably at least for me. thoughts?
What you have to consider is that the hazards are amplified at least two fold by the fact that there is NOT a half cock and NOT a firing pin block. It's happened before (not to me) where accidental discharges have happened from the hammer catching on something while holstering, then falling. Again this can be prevented only if you maintain control of the hammer. You want to practice holstering while paying attention to the hammer. Make sure you are aware of how your clothing can effect your P-64 while moving into the holster, while holstered but you are active, and while coming out of the holster.
Last edited by Weasel640 on January 9th, 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
billhac

Post by billhac »

good info, i do try to keep my thumb over the hammer when im holstering, and yes, i did notice that is the natural position of the hammer, i do see how one could push down on the hammer making it contact the firing pin, although i dont know if that would be enough pressure on the firing pin to set off a round, but what do i know, im new to the gun and its new to me, thats why im asking questions, again thanks for the advice, ill take it and use it.
billhac

Post by billhac »

[quote="Curly1"]I have the 22lb and 17lb springs. Recoil is still on the snappy side.

im definatly going to use the 22# with out a doubt, not sure if im even going to change the hammer spring though, the trigger really dont feel all that bad to me.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I carry decocked with safety on.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
trailer-trash

Post by trailer-trash »

I carry mine with a round in the chamber and decocked....I switched my hammer spring out to a 18 pound wolf spring. I left the original recoil spring. It is perfect for me.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

billhac wrote:good info, i do try to keep my thumb over the hammer when im holstering, and yes, i did notice that is the natural position of the hammer, i do see how one could push down on the hammer making it contact the firing pin, although i dont know if that would be enough pressure on the firing pin to set off a round, but what do i know, im new to the gun and its new to me, thats why im asking questions, again thanks for the advice, ill take it and use it.
I think I failed to explain that correctly. Pushing the hammer down was not the problem in these cases. What was happening to people was this.; While holstering or moving around, clothing or some other object would catch on the hammer. This would cause the hammer to be pulled back. Without warning the clothing or object would release from the hammer. The hammer would fall and cause the gun to fire. Keep in mind there is NOT a half cock safety on the P-64. If you were to pull the hammer back to any position prior to the cocked position and let go the hammer would fall essentially firing the weapon without you pulling the trigger.

This occurrence is most likely to happen while holstering. However while it's holstered if the hammer is exposed in any way it could still happen (part of the reason I'm going to bob my hammer).

The pushing of the hammer is far less likely to cause an accidental discharge. It falls in line with drop test debates.
Weasel

billhac

Post by billhac »

wow, holy crap, i could see how that would be bad, i dont think it could happen to me while holstering, i have my thumb over the hammer when i reholster, but ill watch out for clothing pulling the hammer, though i mostly wear tee shirts here in sunny arizona.
billhac

Post by billhac »

also, i ordered the recoild spring kit, and the trigger spring kit, i think i will start out with the 20#er just because the hammer really dont feel that bad to me like it is.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Safeties are there for a reason that's why they are called a safety, I use them on all my carry pieces.

Don't use at your or others risk.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Curly1 wrote:Safeties are there for a reason that's why they are called a safety, I use them on all my carry pieces.

Don't use at your or others risk.
Yes as I stated: "Some frown on this. But it's how I've been trained, and practice. Yes there is more potential for an accident, but when carrying there is always potential for an accident."

The decocking/safety debate has been going on since the late 30's. The unconventional train of thought is to use the safety as a decocker only, the conventional sees this as unsafe, even cowboy like. We all have our preferences, the debate is not likely to end any time soon. Whatever configuration you choose, you should know the inherent risks. In the words of Hoot:
Weasel