New P64 ('U-FIX-EM')

Info, pictures, advice...
MriswitH

New P64 ('U-FIX-EM')

Post by MriswitH »

Greetings everyone, thought I would drop in an officially say 'Hello!' Been lurking for awhile and finally picked up a P-64.

Century has some of the 'U-Fix-Em' P-64's available (Good / Incomplete) and I scoured the Internet trying to find out what type of luck people had with them but for handguns it was very, very hit or miss. At $99, I took a gamble and am very excited that I did.

The pistol arrived with the slide off and a baggie of parts. I cleaned everything up and found that they gave me two safety / decocker mechanisms (one was broken, the other intact), firing pin, two firing pin springs (one was borked, other perfect), detent and detent spring. The only missing parts were the recoil spring and a magazine, which are easy enough to find online.

Aside from that, the pistol was rather dirty and the trigger pin was trying to work itself out, which I found out it had been installed wrong.

Anywho, just wanted to jump on board officially and also let people know in the event they wanted to go the same route I did! Happy New Year everyone!
Attachments
Pic 3
Pic 3
Pic 2
Pic 2
Pic 1
Pic 1
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New P64 ('U-FIX-EM')

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, looks like you got a good deal.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Wow that's a good deal. Everything you need is still available. And you still come out paying less than you would have now a days for the finished product. Looks like you're getting it for what they had cost about five years ago.

On the flip side I got a Croatian PHP U-FIX-EM so I'd have extra parts for the one I already had. It came in great shape just missing the firing pin. As my luck would have it, shortly after receiving it the firing pin broke on my good PHP. Can't find PHP firing pins anywhere. Now I have two PHPs that look great but won't shoot. When I get around to it I'll have the extra firing pins made and get the PHPs working. But for now they are just cool display pieces.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Couple things I would be concerned about are that BATF does not allow C&R direct shipping on parts guns, so they need to ship these to normal FFL dealer and pay an FFL transfer fee (+$25), and the magazine (+$25). Add in shipping of $34 and after spending a total of $184 before you can even test fire the gun, you are still left with something that might need a few parts or even be left unrepairable. You might get lucky and get a great fixable piece, or unlucky and end up paying more than what the parts can be sold for.

Here is how Century labels these:
No U-Fix-Em are sold as shooters, these are for parts value only. These could be missing any parts, including bolts. We make no guarantees since they are pulled off the top of the pile!

U-FIX-EM’s Sold AS IS - NO RETURNS!
Wideners sometimes has grade B P-64's, and I picked one up for $139 in early 2012. Came with 2 mags and original holster, and since it was in full working order, fully eligible as C&R, and was shipped directly to my home instead of to FFL. Grade B means more external holster type wear, but mechanically perfect, and even this grade B version I would rate the finish at 95%.

BTW, Wideners currently has a special on surplus P64 magazines for $17.95 each. No connection with them, just passing on a deal.

In the past several months, have also seen several deals on armslist for P-64's, such as an excellent condition P64 with 6 magazines and ammo for $200, local FTF pickup near Orlando.

Also if someone still does not yet have a C&R. A C&R FFL only costs $10 a year, and is not just to save FFL transfer fees and time, but also provides discounts at many popular online vendors like Grafs, Midway and Brownells, and usually pays for itself many times over. I have saved a few hundred in reloading equipment and supplies in 2012 alone.
MriswitH

Post by MriswitH »

Read the rules on that and it is interesting; I wonder why they sell them in such a fashion then. I've read of quite a few people that have bought 'parts' firearms and have had them shipped from not only Century but SOG, etc. and were able to do so with the 03 license.

Thanks for the heads up on Wideners as well!
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Great find, congrats!