Best way to eject live round?

Info, pictures, advice...
wolfie999

Best way to eject live round?

Post by wolfie999 »

Hi all,
I was just wondering if someone could tell me the safest way to eject a live round from chamber.
I though I saw something about taking the pistol off of safe to do it or something, now I can't seem to search up the thread.
I plan to start carrying with one in the spout, decocked, but I'll still have to get the round out of there when I store my P-64.
Thanks for any advice.
lklawson

Re: Best way to eject live round?

Post by lklawson »

Point the gun in a safe direction.
Safe the gun.
Remove the magazine.
Replace the magazine with an empty magazine.
Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (down range, into a bullet trap, or into a 12" deep stack of old telephone books).
Operate the slide, which will eject the round and lock the slide back (keep da booger hook offa da bang switch).

I question why you need to eject the round to store the gun. Maybe for trips to the range or for long term storage, but if you're just putting it away at night only to get it back out to CC again the next day, just leave it loaded. Less wear and tear on the gun, fewer chances of a mistake or an accident, and reduces the chance of bullet setback which could cause dangerous over-pressure.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
wolfie999

Post by wolfie999 »

LOL, love the "booger hook" thing. :)
Thanks for the info guy.
The reason I want to do this is I travel to UK/EU on business and typically am away for 6-9 months each trip.
So, I put my pistols in a safe deposit box and like them to be completely unloaded.
Say, why is empty mag important as opposed to racking back with no mag?
Thanks for your help dude, and yes, "may peace favor your sword."
(I like that tagline.) :)
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The slide will lock back on the empty mag whan the live round is ejected so you can see it is unloaded.

I don't do the empty mag myself. I just rack the slide a few times with visual checking of the chamber, but +1 on everything else, including the booger hook :).

If unloading at home I do it in the basement.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wolfie999

Post by wolfie999 »

Thanks Kirk & Curly, I appreciate the info.
I will do exactly what you fellers have suggested.
Just one more question...
What's this thing called "phonebook?"
Hehe, JK! I actually have some here.
:)
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

wolfie999 wrote:LOL, love the "booger hook" thing. :)
I used it to teach my son the 4 rules of safe gun handling. It's the one he always remembered when learning and the one he still remembers first.
Thanks for the info guy.
The reason I want to do this is I travel to UK/EU on business and typically am away for 6-9 months each trip.
So, I put my pistols in a safe deposit box and like them to be completely unloaded.
Fair enough. That's "long term storage" in my book. :)
Say, why is empty mag important as opposed to racking back with no mag?
Like Curly said. Forces the slide into lockback. Some ranges require the action to be open on firearms you bring in. Because the P64 has no external slidelock lever, this is the only way to get it locked back. Of course, if the firearm has no lockback, like the P3AT for instance, then you have to go to Plan B.
Thanks for your help dude, and yes, "may peace favor your sword."
(I like that tagline.) :)
I borrowed it from author Robert Jordan.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
wolfie999

Post by wolfie999 »

Well, you can bet "booger hook" is now going to be completely overused by myself when communicating with friends and family. I think I'll even go far as to invent subjects of conversation just so I can work it in. :)
Thankfully my '71 P-64 locks back on an empty mag, so that's how I'm going to do it.
Thanks much, and "cheers." (as they say in England.)
:)