what made you pick up a P64? What do you like / dislike?

Info, pictures, advice...
Stogies

what made you pick up a P64? What do you like / dislike?

Post by Stogies »

Just wondering...
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
trailer-trash

Re: what made you pick up a P64? What do you like / dislike?

Post by trailer-trash »

I first picked this gun up for my wife. I have a Russian Makarov and love it. My thinking was that we could both carry the same caliber and I could consolidate my ammo purchasing. Low and behold....she didnt like the feel in her hand. She has since picked up my old Ruger revolver. As long as shes comfy with it..its cool. Since then I picked up the p64 and have shot it right much. It became my first choice over my Mak. Its smaller and slimmer. I believe I am more accurate with it. Best of all its a $200 pistol.....and I dont care if it rides in the truck with me or gets banged around on my hip..It fits my needs perfectly.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I like all steel guns, the finish is nice if you get a good one, can't beat the prices and rave reviews about accuracy.

Good for CCW.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

Mine is in great shape and only $165. Couldn't pass it up, figured it'd be a cheap reliable thing to have in the trunk just in case. Also might CCW it once CA's carry laws get straightened out.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I thought it was cool and I like Makarov caliber handguns.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
soram

Post by soram »

I found the P64 in J&G advertisement and never looked back! I absolutely love them!

After I got my first and finally fired it, I fell in love. All metal, Markarov-like design, awesome CC gun.

Although I bought the spring kits based on the recommendations from this forum in anticipation of receiving this pistol, I found the recoil is not only acceptable, but a welcomed EXTRA safety!

I even bought two more because I liked them sooooo much. :hi:

Ross

P.S. Also, because they are so basically designed and reliable, I had no reservations in TOTALLY disassembling, cleaning, re-bluing, and reassembling EVERY one I own immediately after receipt. Thanks to the beautifully created and pictorially designed manual provided by this forum! :!:
LIFE NRA MEMBER
3x Polish P64 (1969, 1972 & 1974)
Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .40 Black
PD2
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by PD2 »

I like the feel of the P64. Its solid and its accurate. The take down is a snap. With this website its a +.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

first was the price. then after i shot it i found out it was a solid gun. well worth more that what i pay for it.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Makarov PM, vz 82, PA-63, P-83, AND P-64

Love taking them all out to shoot 9X18 Makarov
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I wanted one to add to my modest collection of 9x18s: IJ-70, CZ82 & East German Mak. I'm sold on the caliber and the reliability of the pistols. Of them all, the P-64 gets carried the most, as it's the smallest. Just a cool little gun, and great weapon for the price.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

As others have said, I was first attracted to the P64 by the price & size. After getting my 1976 I began to feel, more & more, that it couldn't be beat as a solid, reliable defense weapon for anywhere near its price. Of all the pistols, semi-auto & revolver, that I own (about 14 or so), I think that the P64 is currently my all-around favorite. Ammo price is great, too.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
squat251

Post by squat251 »

Price first, my dad had a cz82 that I loved to shoot, but I thought I would see what other guns were on offer in 9x18. I regularly out shoot him with this mighty fine pistol, the only thing I really don't like is how all the recoil finds its way to the web of my hand. I also get a pretty hefty trigger slap that bothers me, but with how small and accurate this little guy is, I can't see myself selling it.
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

I tried shooting mine DA yesterday ;-)

It felt like trying to lift a boulder with a plastic spoon. Stuff was moving but it wasn't going anywhere soon. Eventually I gave up. I have only had one guy so far that was able to shoot it DA. Definetly gonna do something about that DA trigger before long ;-)
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
squat251

Post by squat251 »

Appears there are lots of differing pull weights. Mine is by no means light but I can easily pull it, I can even shoot pretty straight to boot. I have heard of them so bad even with 2 fingers they had a tough time. Wonder if it has anything to do with whether or not they were issued.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

^ Yup...I was convinced the trigger hinge pin would snap before the hammer fell. Once the pull gets too high, it becomes impossible to pull at all, because the excess pressure causes extreme friction/binding that requires even more force to overcome, which in turn adds to the friction/binding. Some P64s fall just below this threshold and work fine in DA; others fall on the other side of this tipping point, and no amount of force would make it work (before parts broke).