How to choose hammer spring strength?

Info, pictures, advice...
Hypnotoad

How to choose hammer spring strength?

Post by Hypnotoad »

I see Wolff supplies hammer springs from 17 lb to 20 lb. Which one do I want? What's the downside of the lightest spring? Will it not touch off some primers?
lklawson

Re: How to choose hammer spring strength?

Post by lklawson »

Hypnotoad wrote:I see Wolff supplies hammer springs from 17 lb to 20 lb. Which one do I want?
Usually, you want the lightest hammer spring that will reliably detonate primers. 18 and 19 pound springs seem to be the most popular. Some people don't like the lighter springs, even if they do prove reliable, because it also lightens up the Single Action trigger weight, making it into a veritable hair-trigger.
What's the downside of the lightest spring? Will it not touch off some primers?
That's the biggest problem. Too light in Single Action is another.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Some folks reported the issue of the magazine dropping out of the pistol when it was empty because the hammer spring is the same thing that puts force on the magazine catch. However, I kind of wonder if they didn't have the strut washer on the hammer strut, so the already light spring wasn't physically able to push on the catch hard since it wasn't under the proper compression.

I use a 17# spring and love it. The SA is still very reasonable and is only a hair lighter than it already is with the factory spring. When I shoot mine at paper, I pull the trigger to the rear and let my finger all the way forward until it clicks, then I pull the next round. I think if someone has an accidental double tap, then it would seem they weren't very cautious and it probably would have happened with the factory spring also. I have NEVER had a light strike with mine and all shots have gone bang. So, reliability has been good. Some folks may have reported light strikes, but then again, I'd question if they had it installed properly with the washer on the hammer strut.

18# seems to remain the most popular but I hated it. I got an 18# just to try it and compare it to my 17#. It got removed from the gun, the 17# reinstalled and I gave the 18# away to a member on here that was looking to buy a lighter spring and figured that giving it away for free was better than him buying one.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Also, there is some debate as to whether with the 17# springs, the mag sometimes drops out while shooting. (The hammer spring also functions as the spring holding the mag release.)

I've used the 18# springs, and not had the mag drop and had no problems firing Wolf ball ammo. Have had not tried those 'spensive Hornady carry loads though.
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Annd I'll check my hammer spring struts for the washer.

Thanks juniustaylor.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I replaced my stock spring with the 17# spring. The SA did get a little bit lighter, but that only made it better in my opinion. Lots of lead downrange since the change and no failures to ignite from light hits and no problems with mags dropping. I will stick with my 17# spring.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

Thanks guys. Sounds like if I order a 17# and 18# I should be covered. I found mention in my googling of making a stiffer trigger return spring to increase the SA weight a tad. I might be inclined to do that if the SA gets too light with the lighter hammer spring.
trailer-trash

Post by trailer-trash »

I run an 18# in mine with no issues. It graduated to my carry gun after the spring install. I love it.
allentownernie

Post by allentownernie »

I also went with the 18lb hammer spring and I am pleased with the result, I was afraid of the 17 lb spring when some members reported the magazine dropping out when empty. My gun is now just fine for me.
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

17# here, no problem.

NRA Life Member