Bobbed Hammer

Info, pictures, advice...
TroyS

Bobbed Hammer

Post by TroyS »

I have had my P-64 for about 3 months now. It's easily one of my favorite guns. I am considering having the hammer bobbed. Has anyone done this and how did you like it? Mine has the triangle shape.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Bobbed Hammer

Post by juniustaylor »

Troy, I did mine a long time back. Somewhere around May of 2011. I like it. I don't have to worry about the issues of it snagging and possibly going off. It doesn't protrude out to whack on something if it fell (may that never be so!). I really think it was worthwhile to do. I had 2 hammers. The original is still the triangle shaped one. I had another triangle shaped one that I turned into a round hammer, but then bobbed it completely.

If I want to shoot single action on the first shot, I slightly squeeze the trigger for the hammer to come back a hair, then grab it with my thumb, release the trigger, and finish cocking it back with the thumb.

US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
TroyS

Post by TroyS »

Finally Bobbed the hammer. Tried it at the range. Worked perfect. Thanks Juniustaylor
Trying to post a picture of it. Having trouble with that
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Did you guys grind em still on the gun?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I used a pencil and with the hammer all the way forward, I made a line showing where the end of the slide was. A scribe would have probably been better as it would have scratched the line on the hammer better. Then remove the hammer, and Dremel or use a hack-saw to get it close to the line. Use a file to final shape, then apply some cold blue.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
TroyS

Post by TroyS »

I marked the hammer with the pistol assembled. I then took the hammer off and used a dremel tool to cut it off. I smoothed and deburred the hammer and reblued it.