who here has an AK?

Talk about rifles and shotguns here.
Stogies

who here has an AK?

Post by Stogies »

Which one and why did you pick that particular model?
Last edited by Stogies on August 6th, 2012, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
norman

Re: who here is an AK?

Post by norman »

Not an AK but a VZ 2008. The Century build of the Czech VZ 58. Striker fired and more sexier than an AK. Czech one out, you'd love it! :D
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

I am actually familiar with that model and it has a number of clever upgrades from the original design (bolt open, safety lever). Would love to own one eventually!
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
MI CZ

Post by MI CZ »

WASR 10/63. It has worked out great. I made it a project with my Dad and we stained the furniture. I can't figure out why I would have paid more.
Dalton Wayne

Re: who here has an AK?

Post by Dalton Wayne »

I have a polish AKMS underfolder with 13 loaded ready to go mags all in mag pouches a 75 round loaded drum bayonet
well a picture is worth a 1000 words
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Okay, I'll confess to owning two, both semi-auto: a 7.62x39 Romanian AKM 10/63 underfolder, and a Polish AK74 Tantal, both from CAI. The AKM(aka AK47) is built like cast iron and was put together by guys who actually KNOW how to build them and used all original parts (except f/those replaced by CAI to meet 922r requirements), including a chrome-lined barrel & a good receiver. Everything on it is tight as a drum, including the folding stock. Mine was $419 out the door 2.5 years ago. The Tantal, on the other hand, was built by the goobers @ CAI from a mix of Polish & US parts(US rec'r, non-chrome and possibly wrong bore barrel, 922 parts, etc) and,altho easier to shoot (negligible recoil, better side-fold stock design, cheaper 5.45x39 ammo) just doesn't feel quite as reliable. I think I paid around $450 f/it about 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I don't LOVE it like I do the Romanian AK. I think it may be that the Tantal just doesn't seem to have the same build quality as the Romanian rifle. Besides, I kinda like picking up a firearm that I know is in almost universal use by millions of guys, good, evil & in between. Viva La Revolucion!! To the barricades, comrades! Just kidding; I spent 35 years w/the Feds, trying to kill the USSR. Hey, I guess that worked, huh?
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

I realized I never said if I had one myself! :oops:

I have an Inter Ordnance AK 47 I bought about 3 years ago when they still sold brand new for 430$. It's an all US made AK and rumors to the contrary it works great and is noticeably of higher quality.

And a AMD 65 SOLD by Century but BUILT by TNG. I wanted this one just because of the peculiar design. Best heat ventilation EEEEEEEVEEEERRRR I have seen on any front handguard, though :D
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Never Enough Ammo

Post by Never Enough Ammo »

I have a Saiga IZ 340 in 5.45. It has the FSB and GB converted to standard AK 74 syle from the factory,so it can take actual AK handgaurds out of the box. It also has the muzzle threaded out of the box. I chose it because I wanted a good ak that I knew would be problem free,and couldn't afford a SGL-series. So I went with a saiga,who builds them better than the russians themselves? I am currently "one piece at a time"ing it all the way to a traditional ak. Right now at 200 yards with a 5 shot group I am getting 2.5/3 inch groupings. Which was really surprising to me,after I had one of the infamous Century Tanail's I was pretty much soured on ak's.
Life is hard,it's harder when you're stupid-John Wayne
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Got a few AK platform rifles. They are fun guns and relatively cheap. At least they used to be cheap.

A grouping of Russian Saiga conversions including (top to bottom) the 12 gauge Saiga-12 (top), Saiga T-6, SGL-21, SGL-21 with picatinny rail, SGL-21, and SGL-10 (bottom).

RPK M72 Yugoslav (top), and two Romanian AK-47.

AK underfolders Yugo (left), Yugo RPK (center) and Romanian (right)

1960 Polish milled reciever

Will be adding a couple more RPK variants before the election.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Here's a link to when I first got my Tantal back in 08.
http://p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 034#p25034
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

I've got one, but I have to finish building it. So at this moment it just looks like a pile of parts. Its kind of funny off hand I can't even remember the country of origin. But I have always been a fan of Polish firearms.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I have an NHM-91.
I also have 3-4 Romy G kits I am sloooowly building.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

i got one that is in 5.56. pick it up in the late 80's. the only problem with it is mags. they are hard to find now. but when i got the gun i pick up a boat load of mags. it is a good shooter and has never given me any troubles. i only shoot the steel case ammo in it. if you are looking for a good rifle i would look at the sks. you can still find one and a good price. in my book they are just as good as an ak47 and/or ak74.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Here is mine...a MAK 90 with Ironwood designs walnut stocks, Tapco SAW grip & fire control parts. I threaded the barrel for the flash suppressor. When I got it, it had the thumbhole stock & was uncomfortable as all get out. Now it is a politically correct & good looking AK!
Attachments
Mak #4.jpg
From Above Only & Not Beneath!
magnum42069

Post by magnum42069 »

I own a Draco 12.5 barrel Romanian I bought when the getting was good then railed, gripped, flash hindered plus extra power return spring. Next also when getting was good 329+ an AMD 65. It looks like a kicker but you would be wrong. All aks REQUIRE rails for lite plus laser. Stocked AK can really use Beryl mount.