Is it just me, or....

Info, pictures, advice...
hollywood

Is it just me, or....

Post by hollywood »

I have only taken my P64 to the range once. I am waiting for my permit to carry. The P64 is my first, and only side arm, and I have only had it for about a month. I loved it's feel at the range, especially after figuring out how to hold the gun for minimal recoil.

BUT, I have dry fired it several times, and in doing so, because it is not loading a cart into the barrel, I am always "firing" in double action mode, and it seems fine to me!

Am I the only one? I wanted a gun with a heavy trigger because I have 2 boys, 4 and 6, and while they have never even SEEN it, and I keep it locked in a safe, if they ever WERE to get thier hands on it, I think they would have a tough time pulling the trigger.

So, am I the only one who likes the heavy trigger? I can see if I were going to the range to put 100 loads through it, that it could tire out the muscles and tendons quickly with the heavy spring, but for "need it now" shooting, and considering I'd likely only shoot 6 rounds at the most, and the fact that it is not really any effort to pull the DA, I am trying to figure out why someone would modify it. Am I the only one who digs this gun in it's stock incarnation?

Now, I can answer some of this, as a guitar and motorcycle afficianado (sp?) I know that us manly testosterone types MUST f*ck with something before we truly consider it ours. Is that what all the mods are about?
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Is it just me, or....

Post by bzinggg »

There are many members who prefer the heavier DA trigger pull, most for the reasons of safety that you mention.

I'd just like to draw this to the attention of many of the readers and will use your statement as an example. When firing at the range, the only DA trigger pull one endures is the first shot, as long as one has a loaded mag ready to insert, because the slide stays back after the last round from a magazine is fired. The hammer remains back, ready for a single-action shot.
So, since after the last round in a mag is fired, you can safely lay the gun down with the chamber empty and the slide back and locked while you load a freshmag or a dozen, and when you insert a fresh one and pull the slide back slightly and let it slam a new cartridge in,you are then ready to fire SINGLE-ACTION again, and on and on and on. All the while, you have only had to pull the trigger in DOUBLE-ACTION once, total.
truth

Is it just me, or....

Post by truth »

AMEN
daysleeper

Is it just me, or....

Post by daysleeper »

If you insert the mag and chamber the round with the safety disengaged, as the manual instructs, then even your first shot is SA, so you may never have to experience the DA pull.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Is it just me, or....

Post by space »

It's not just you...
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Is it just me, or....

Post by bzinggg »

If you insert the mag and chamber the round with the safety disengaged, as the manual instructs, then even your first shot is SA, so you may never have to experience the DA pull.
CORRECT! Even if the hammer were down in any event, one can COCK THE HAMMER IF THERE'S A ROUND IN, or rack the slide if there isn't.

The DA pull is a moot point! The real challenge for those of us that feel the need to improve the P-64, would be to come up with a customization that makes releasing the magazine easier and faster, while remaining unobtrusive.
truth

Is it just me, or....

Post by truth »

Leave those damn springs alone.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Is it just me, or....

Post by himmel »

Well, you are not the only one, but I also go with the "to each his own" philosophy for the most part. I do have to wonder, since it's been brought up--do you really want to carry a pistol with a chambered round cocked and UN locked??
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Is it just me, or....

Post by bzinggg »

himmel,

My premise is shooting at the range; how many times does one have to pull in Double Action mode, etc. etc....

I agree with your warning not to carry with a round in and the safety off. It's not wise at all.

edit: Of course, I realize that letting the hammer down and firing DA intentionally and repeatedly while endeavoring to smooth up and ease the action is an advisable exercise for P-64 owners, and it can make your finger sore and your arm and hand weary. Even so, I personally believe it is the best course of action especially as opposed to dry firing repeatedly, which I oppose.
Last edited by bzinggg on August 20th, 2006, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daysleeper

Is it just me, or....

Post by daysleeper »

CORRECT! Even if the hammer were down in any event, one can COCK THE HAMMER IF THERE'S A ROUND IN, or rack the slide if there isn't.
Right. And it occurs to me that I should never have the need to engage the safety if the chamber is empty. Being left handed, for me it's actually more efficient to leave the safety off and rack the slide for SA than it is to disengage the safety and deal with the DA. Consider me a member of the 'No DA Ever' club.
p64

Is it just me, or....

Post by p64 »

I leave mine stock and accept it for what it is, a small, easy to conceal and accurate pistol with a round powerful enough to "do the job".
It's a great backup or carry for for those times when a 1911 just don't fit the carry bill. The only reason it can't be a regular carry in my opinion is the mag release, way to slow to reload.
It is very accurate and fun to shoot at the range as I can keep cans spinning with it, hitting them while they're still in motion :).

I do carry it sometimes, 1911's are still my favorites for carry as well as aesthetics and of course I spend range time with them.

Most of my plinking is now done with an inexpensive ($135 brand new) 9mm, a Hi Point C9.
One really nice thing about a standard 9mm luger is the price of ammo though I will say without reservation that the Hi Point C9 is a fine gun also. $135 brand new, lifetime warranty, cheap ammo, accurate with adjustable 3 dot sightes and over 1000 trouble free rounds through it in the past two weeks. I actually purchased 2, one for me and one for my son.

1911's and HP C9 aside, I'm looking forward to some range time within the next week with my P64, finally gonna let my grandson shoot it, he's been asking since our last range trip when he saw me spinning the cans with it :)

I plan on buying another P64, this current one to shoot and shopping for one in VG condition just to have and save for my collection.

The current P64 will remain on my top shelf where the "shooting guns" are, at least when it isn't on my side.
Last edited by p64 on September 3rd, 2006, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.