Bi-metal ammo

All things ammo related.
wolfstein

Bi-metal ammo

Post by wolfstein »

Does the bi-metal ammo like Wolf really damage you gun? I read a study that showed the rifling penetrating the copper coating and digging into the steel (iron) jacket. This seems that it would wear the rifling prematurely. Any experts out there that can educate me?
darrell

Re: Bi-metal ammo

Post by darrell »

Some people do not like Wolf ammo because of reports of damaging guns due to loading issues. Wolf Gold Ammo is very good though. Some ranges will not let you shoot it, due steel in the ammo. It attracks a magnet. Since there are few replacement parts for P-64s a lot of people won't risk using it.
soram

Post by soram »

darrell wrote:[...]Wolf Gold Ammo is very good though. Some ranges will not let you shoot it, due steel in the ammo. It attracks a magnet. Since there are few replacement parts for P-64s a lot of people won't risk using it.
Bear ammo is bi-metal also, but I've never had a problem with it EXCEPT at the range. They will not let people use it because it tears up the backstop too much.
Ergo

Post by Ergo »

Mine shoots Wolf steel ammo extremely accurately. Wasn't the gun designed to shoot similar ammo?

Shooting a 380 class cartridge, I figure that it should have all the penetration that it can get. No hollow points for me.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

wolfstein wrote:Does the bi-metal ammo like Wolf really damage you gun? I read a study that showed the rifling penetrating the copper coating and digging into the steel (iron) jacket. This seems that it would wear the rifling prematurely.
No, it's fine. The bbl is properly hardened steel. The steel jacket on bi-metal ammo is soft and unhardened. It has roughly the same hardness as pig-iron. Iron has a brinell hardness below that of copper. Shouldn't hurt your bbl.

Some say that steel cases will wear your chamber and damage your extractor. I don't know about the chamber (but I doubt it). Most Makarov caliber handguns have a larger, beefier extractor than most U.S. designed 9mm Luger guns, I suspect specifically due to the expected possibility of shooting steel cased ammo.

The old adage, "Commie Ammo for Commie Guns" rings true. I'm reluctant to run steel cased ammo in my U.S. made guns but I don't worry about bi-metal in my commie guns.

One caveat, however: Some people have reported that steel/bi-metal ammo wears out their magazines faster. Can even wear grooves in it. I don't know of it's true but that part makes me more nervous.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Thanks for the info on the bi-metal bullets. Makes me feel better about using it. Since it is cheap, I can use it outside at the shooting range.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

buy it and use it. the p64 was made to shoot this type of ammo.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

don't shoot wolf steel ammo in any gun , or this could happen to you ,
yourfns wrote:Yes my barrel is bulged. I was shooting Wolf ammo and had a dud. The primer fired but there must have been no powder in the case. I ejected the empty case but didn't realize that the bullet was lodged in the barrel and fired again. A VERY STUPID MOVE ON MY PART. It was a situation I've never encountered before because duds are so rare in factory ammo. Boy I really feel like an idiot, what a rookie move. Well nobody was hurt and now I have to buy a new P-64.
Again Thanks for your help!
A dummy P-64 owner
I been telling you guys this for year's it only takes 2 rounds and in up with a paper weight, not say this couldn't with other brands of ammo , it just happen more frequently with wolf steel ammo
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

lklawson wrote:
wolfstein wrote:Does the bi-metal ammo like Wolf really damage you gun? I read a study that showed the rifling penetrating the copper coating and digging into the steel (iron) jacket. This seems that it would wear the rifling prematurely.
No, it's fine. The bbl is properly hardened steel. The steel jacket on bi-metal ammo is soft and unhardened. It has roughly the same hardness as pig-iron. Iron has a brinell hardness below that of copper. Shouldn't hurt your bbl.

Some say that steel cases will wear your chamber and damage your extractor. I don't know about the chamber (but I doubt it). Most Makarov caliber handguns have a larger, beefier extractor than most U.S. designed 9mm Luger guns, I suspect specifically due to the expected possibility of shooting steel cased ammo.

The old adage, "Commie Ammo for Commie Guns" rings true. I'm reluctant to run steel cased ammo in my U.S. made guns but I don't worry about bi-metal in my commie guns.

One caveat, however: Some people have reported that steel/bi-metal ammo wears out their magazines faster. Can even wear grooves in it. I don't know of it's true but that part makes me more nervous.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I can't say I ever noticed increased wear on my XD mags when shooting steel cased ammo but it sure is much harder to load for some reason.
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
magnum42069

Post by magnum42069 »

XD mags r stainless. That's why they pricey. Expensive to weld that.