Any Mosin Nagant fans?

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Any Mosin Nagant fans?

Post by papabear »

jhale1158,

All the MN carbines have a heavy kick, but if held right they are not all that bad to most of us, however, if you truly enjoy a really heavy kick try the straight pull Styer M95/30 carbine in 8x56R and it too has the steel but plate for added kick, mine pictured below is a 1915 Hungarian Budapest with a "S" on the receiver ring indicating it was converted from 8x50R to the more powerful 8x56R round. Some were also converted to the German 7.92x57 Mauser round which is also a kicker.

Link for the Styer Mannlicher M95
http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating-ri ... m95-e.html
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Here is a pic of my M44. The toe was missing when I traded for it, so I attached a new one & refinished the stock.
Attachments
Mosin M44 #2.jpg
From Above Only & Not Beneath!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Interesting rifle holder you've got there Byrd. Looks like a nice Mosin.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
superferrite

Post by superferrite »

Love 'em!
I've gone through a whole bunch of them (including the 3/$100 M39s--those were the days!), but I have kept an unissued Polish M44, a recent import Izzy 91/30 with a mint bore, and a scruffy 1938 Tula that I've reworked into a sporter.

Wish I still had my M91's, but you win and lose sometimes!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I know folks are going to say "it didn't happen" without pictures. The pictures are in my mind. I stayed with a buddy over the weekend and we decided to do some mid-range shooting. He was shooting a .270 WSM that we had made some handloads for. I was shooting my 1937 Mosin 91/30 that I made handloads for. At 355 yards I achieved a 3.5" 3-shot group. That distance didn't do it for us, we decided to put the target as close to 500 yards as we could get, so it ended up being 504 yards on his Bushnell range finder. I took the first 2 shots. Would you believe they were 2.5" from each other. I left it be so a 3rd shot wouldn't "ruin" my number. It kind of gave me a giggle that I was keeping up with his Win Model 70 .270 WSM with a 74 year old rifle with open sights to boot. All shots were fired off of a sandbag. My shots at 355 and 504 yards were just right of the target but still would have easily been in a deer's kill zone. So, I'll just need to slightly bump the front sight over. Just figured I'd share. The bore on my '37 in mint and shiny. I'd have to look at the box of reloads, but I'm pretty sure I used 49 grains of IMR4064 with a Hornady 150 grain bullet #3120.

Forgot to mention. On my rifle with the reloads, I left the rear sight at the 100m setting and it was zero on elevation at 355 yards. For 504 yards, the 200m setting was zero on elevation. So, the front sight pin is fairly low to make that work like that. I think my reloads tend to be about 4" high at 100 yards, but I'd have to shoot it again. I want to take my calipers and measure the height difference from 100-200m setting and figure what my bullet drop would have been between 355 and 504 yards.
eagle71

Post by eagle71 »

Dang Junius, that's good shooting!

Appreciate the elevation info in your 2nd paragraph too. That said, assume winds were calm when you shot that day?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Eagle, at 355 yards, we were shooting into the wind. On the 504 yard shot, the wind was blowing right at probably 5-10mph or so, which did lightly affect my shots at that distance, they were a couple inches right. Still would have hit a deer's kill zone. If I did my math correctly, the drop between 355 and 504 yards would have been about 19" had I left it on the 100m setting (mathematical guesstimation). The difference between the 100m and 200m setting on the rear sight is roughly 0.025".
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

juniustaylor wrote:I know folks are going to say "it didn't happen" without pictures. The pictures are in my mind. I stayed with a buddy over the weekend and we decided to do some mid-range shooting. He was shooting a .270 WSM that we had made some handloads for. I was shooting my 1937 Mosin 91/30 that I made handloads for. At 355 yards I achieved a 3.5" 3-shot group. That distance didn't do it for us, we decided to put the target as close to 500 yards as we could get, so it ended up being 504 yards on his Bushnell range finder. I took the first 2 shots. Would you believe they were 2.5" from each other. I left it be so a 3rd shot wouldn't "ruin" my number. It kind of gave me a giggle that I was keeping up with his Win Model 70 .270 WSM with a 74 year old rifle with open sights to boot. All shots were fired off of a sandbag. My shots at 355 and 504 yards were just right of the target but still would have easily been in a deer's kill zone. So, I'll just need to slightly bump the front sight over. Just figured I'd share. The bore on my '37 in mint and shiny. I'd have to look at the box of reloads, but I'm pretty sure I used 49 grains of IMR4064 with a Hornady 150 grain bullet #3120.

Forgot to mention. On my rifle with the reloads, I left the rear sight at the /100m setting and it was zero on elevation at 355 yards. For 504 yards, the 200m setting was zero on elevation. So, the front sight pin is fairly low to make that work like that. I think my reloads tend to be about 4" high at 100 yards, but I'd have to shoot it again. I want to take my calipers and measure the height difference from 100-200m setting and figure what my bullet drop would have been between 355 and 504 yards.
I mention this because my Mosin made me look like I could shoot. At our local range they have 18x18 inch ram silhouettes (18" high at the horns) at a little over 500 yards. I was in a half kneeling/sitting position with my 91/30 (1938 ex-pu sniper) and with iron sites, I drilled it 6-7 times out of ten (IIRC). I was stunned. My rifle is older than my father and it shoots that well after all these years. BTW, there might be a post out there where I say the target was 24x24, but I was wrong. It's smaller!
jpjames

Post by jpjames »

Great, now I have to take a pic of my Mosins! You guys are a bad influence! ;)
Here goes...left to right...
42 Tula Laminated stock
43 Ishevsk 91/59
25 Tula Ex-Dragoon
52 Polish M44
30 Ishevsk Ex-Dragoon
43 Ishevsk M38
45 Ishevsk M44 Laminated stock
43 Ishevsk PU Sniper

manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Nice family portrait jp!!
jpjames

Post by jpjames »

The 1925 Tula is my favorite of the bunch, if I had to pick! I love them all!
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

Thanks to all of you for posting your pics. I have recently become addicted
and currently have two, a 40 laminated and a 34 hex. I also got the Nagant
pistol. The pistol is cool as I can also shoot S&W 32 short or long as well as the
H&R 32 mag.
I am going to pick up another and have the bolt redone($50) and mount a scope.
Maybe a fancy stock too in due time. Although I love the original stocks too.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Ruguns is still selling the rearsenaled snipers for $800 if you are interested.

They are the real deal.

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

jpjames wrote:Great, now I have to take a pic of my Mosins! You guys are a bad influence! ;)
Here goes...left to right...
42 Tula Laminated stock
43 Ishevsk 91/59
25 Tula Ex-Dragoon
52 Polish M44
30 Ishevsk Ex-Dragoon
43 Ishevsk M38
45 Ishevsk M44 Laminated stock
43 Ishevsk PU Sniper

That is a sweet collection. Makes me wish I'd caught on sooner to Mosins. By the time I got into them the dealers were charging premiun prices for even the matching numbers 91/30s.
I have 3 91/30s
Ishevsk ex-PEM sniper, matching numbers, I think it's a 1943
Tula ex-PU sniper, matching numbers. 1938
The other one is a non-numbers matching mutt that I've yet to shoot. I don't remember the year.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

These are sold everywhere around here...some gun shops have a trash can/barrel sitting around with 20 or so stuffed inside sitting on the sales floor.