Recoil

Info, pictures, advice...
dalek

Recoil

Post by dalek »

Is the P64 recoil that bad? Some people in other boards claim it is terrible but, well, I prefer to shoot it single handed and it never bothered me.
leadhead2

Re: Recoil

Post by leadhead2 »

I don't have a problem with it, but alot
of people do I guess. Compaired to some
of the bigger magnums, there a pussycat.
Denny
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Of the three other 9x18 pistols I own (Russian IJ-70, East German and CZ-82) it is by far the most unpleasant. All have the original spring rating. It starts to hurt after awhile, wouldn't want to spend all day at the range with it. That's just me though. Still enjoy shooting it, an carry it around the most out of the four.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Yea, Mac, I'm not saying it doesn't snap. It does
bite the web of the hand after awhile, but I don't
think it's as bad as most say. My P-63 is alot more
"fun" to shoot if you know what I mean.
Denny
dalek

Post by dalek »

MakAttack, how many rounds do you think it would take to start making the P64 uncomfortable? Highest amount I myself have ever shot in one event was 150 (Silver bear HP) and that was using factory springs.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

dalek wrote:MakAttack, how many rounds do you think it would take to start making the P64 uncomfortable? Highest amount I myself have ever shot in one event was 150 (Silver bear HP) and that was using factory springs.

I shot a box of 50 when I first got it and thought "dang- never going to do that again!". The most I shoot it now at any one outing is a couple of mags (12 rounds). By the end of the first mag my hand and wrist are smarting. That's just me though- everybody will be different. Really like it though! Could always upgrade the springs...
dalek

Post by dalek »

Makes sense. In my case, well, this is the first handgun I ever owned. So, I might have just got used to it or something. As I said, I feel happier shooting it with one hand.
Never Enough Ammo

Post by Never Enough Ammo »

I hardly notice it. I prefer it to my Ruger .380 lcp. Then again the handgun I first learned on was a 1911. Honestly I think it it pretty tame,but to each his own.
Life is hard,it's harder when you're stupid-John Wayne
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

You just have to shoot it and find out. Recoil is relative to a lot of things, among which is your hand size
and how tight you grip the gun.
As Never Enough Ammo said, he prefers it to his .380 LCP. I have the same gun and also prefer it to the LCP.
However I prefer my full size 9mm to it and also the Makarov.
My hand is an old one but I grip a tight grip and it is not bad. Snappy but the LCP is snappier but also has a smaller grip, both lengthwise as well as thickness. But it is a pull and shoot gun too. A true pocket weapon
where the 64 IMO is not.
Still it is a fun gun and a good carry gun given the right circumstances.
But so is a S&W 44mag with a 4 inch barrel. Given the right circumstances. This the one gun I wish I never would have sold. Dumb, dumb, dumb! With .44 special's in it it was a pussycat almost.
When it is all said and done, there is (IMO) a place for the 64 in one's collection.
turbocat

Post by turbocat »

what bothers some is acceptable to others. being 270# and having big hands helps. i found that two strips from a bike tire makes a cheap buffer. what was getting the web of my hand was the split design of the grips. once i eliminated that problem i've enjoyed putting thousands of rounds through it.
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

i would have to agree with everyone. to each his own. i have no problem shooting 150 rounds at the range. i don't think the recoil is that bad. definatly less than my glock 21, or ruger blackhawk. loading the mags that many times is what bugs the crap out of me. too bad someone couldn't make a 10-12 round magazine for the range. that would be cool.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)