Dumping mags ? ? ?

Info, pictures, advice...
bankerbilly

Dumping mags ? ? ?

Post by bankerbilly »

Hello one and all,

I've got two P-64's -- one for "shooting" and one that is brand-spanking new. The new one rides in a Polish holster and is a safe-queen. The other one goes with me to the range every now and then. Both of them have a 18 pound Walther hammer spring in them.

The "shooter" P-64 was with me yesterday and I noticed a very strange problem: when the last round was fired -- always the LAST round -- the mag would drop down and the slide would not lock to the rear. I have several mags, but only had two along yesterday. Problem only happened with one mag, not both.

Pistol would fire anywhere from one to seven rounds, but always on the LAST round, with just the one mag, the mag would drop down and the slide would not lock to the rear.

Make sense ?!?!?

So . . . is it the mag ? ? Anyone else have this problem ? ?

Thanks ! !
truth

Dumping mags ? ? ?

Post by truth »

The springs, my friend, the springs, put the originals back and those problems will go away.
jbailey

Dumping mags ? ? ?

Post by jbailey »

See my post in Mods/Fixes/Repairs under "Springs - Stand by" Mag retention is sort of a 'tug of war' between the mag catch (pushed by the mainspring), the edge of the raised 'bumpout' on the mag, and the magazine spring pushing the rounds against the bottom of the slide. As the mag empties, this last 'push' weakens and the impact of slide recoil can jar the engagement of the catch and the edge on the mag and out drops the mag. In an ideal world (LOL) having the mag drop 'automatically' when empty could speed up combat reloads?
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Dumping mags ? ? ?

Post by bzinggg »

Not if the slide doesn't lock back.
jbailey

Dumping mags ? ? ?

Post by jbailey »

OK, point well made! Modify the 'ideal world' to include slide lock? - John
tunnelrat

Dumping mags ? ? ?

Post by tunnelrat »

OK, point well made! Modify the 'ideal world' to include slide lock? - John
Perhaps in an ideal world, one would never have to shoot to slide lock...