Need some help..

Info, pictures, advice...
birddude

Need some help..

Post by birddude »

Hi all. I'm A newbie. This is the first time I have ever posted anything anywhere, so forgive me if I screw it up. I am looking pretty hard for a P64. It looks as tho I should have bought one a few years ago because now I can't find one under 200.00. My local gun store says he can order one with two clips for 240.00 out the door. I found another at a different place with one clip for 200.00 but the safety would not go down to the decock position. Should I buy it and hope I can fix it? Or have my dealer order me one? Am I giving fair prices or am I being taken advatage of? My other question is are all these guns unissued because the two or three I have had in my hands look like they have never been fired.
badgerjfr

Re: Need some help..

Post by badgerjfr »

i bought mine for $200 and it came with two magazines and the cleaning rod. i know my local gander mtn sells them for $250 w/2 magazines and the cleaning rod. to be honest fixing problems isn't too difficult if you are a patient person, however, i cant see buying a gun that doesn't work correctly to begin with. the prices seem to be right around what i've noticed lately. unless maybe you find one at a gunshow or private seller. good luck.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
birddude

Post by birddude »

Thanks Badger. I'm buying one for a backup carry gun/fishing gun. I think it will fit the bill..
Wizard6oBaghdad06

Post by Wizard6oBaghdad06 »

Hi Sir: I would suggest, in order: 1) Get your 03 C&R FFL from the ATF. It's easy and takes 3-4 weeks if you have no criminal record(!). 2) Order a P-64 from J&G Sales, Classic Arms, or Southern Ohio Gun. I think all 3 still have them. 3) Note that the safeties are extremely stiff sometimes. I lubed mine with Mobil synthetic grease plus molybdenum and it is still a stinker. Not a safety to flip in a gunfight. My strategy is to leave my finger off the trigger instead. ANYWAY, the C&R FFL will save you so much money over the years, it will rank as the best $30.00 you ever spent. Or worst as you'll purchase a raft of interesting weapons...
Wizard6oBaghdad06

Post by Wizard6oBaghdad06 »

Oh, I should add that I paid 179.99 for my P-64 with 2 magazines. It wasn't unissued, but still very nice. It shoots preternaturally well. I have literally never seen such performance from such a short barrel. Not to mention the cheapest steel cased ammo I can get. Almost spooky.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forums.

No I would not go with one that has a known problem.

Yes I beleive that some of them have never been issued as they have great bores and no wear on the finish.

Regarding C&R licence, you should check to see if your state allows transfers of handguns to a C&R licence, not all do.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I would go with the one from the dealer. $240 for the gun and 2 magazines! Let's consider this.

$240 = Functional gun + 2 magazines and that price was "out the door"
$200 = "Broken" gun + 1 magazine

You would probably want to eventually buy another magazine. Keepshooting.com has them for around $18 after shipping which is pretty reasonable. Other than that, they're going to cost around $20 - $30 on the internet for mil-surp ones. Next, you're definitely going to want to fix that gun. Either the disconnector is worn out or the bottom of the safety is trashed. The disconnector is about $13 after shipping from a dude in Poland on Gunbroker.com (wait time = 2-3 weeks). A safety would be around $36 after shipping. You can buy them from a seller in the US, but the disconnector will jump to around $20 and the safety goes to about $35+. Now, you're going to have to tear the whole thing apart, which really isn't that hard, I made videos on here showing how to do it. However, you shouldn't have to take it apart to fix it. I'd definitely go with the dealer option.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Plus if you have any problems take it back to the dealer to take care of.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

these are great little guns, and not too difficult to work on. but i would go with the dealer gun. works right and the dealer can back up any problems.
birddude

Post by birddude »

Thanks guys, thats good advise. My dealer has one on the way. In the meantime, I have a couple more questions. I have read about the Wolf springs. Is there any reason except recoil to change the recoil spring? I can't imagin it would buck any worse than my Kahr CW9. Also I would think that the 20+ LB. trigger pull would make it extra safe to carry wth the safety off. Could the hammer spring be heavy enough to punch through a primer?
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

the only reason i know of for changing the springs would be to reduce the recoil with a heavier spring. like everyone else on the forum, ill tell you what i've been told. test it out first. mine is factory everything, and i think it's totally fine. recoil is ok. DA trigger is heavy but manageable.

that might not be the case for everybody. shoot some ammo through it and then decide if you want lighter trigger pull or a stronger recoil spring. good luck. and either way your gonna end up loving this little gun.
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

birddude wrote:Thanks guys, thats good advise. My dealer has one on the way. In the meantime, I have a couple more questions. I have read about the Wolf springs. Is there any reason except recoil to change the recoil spring? I can't imagin it would buck any worse than my Kahr CW9. Also I would think that the 20+ LB. trigger pull would make it extra safe to carry wth the safety off. Could the hammer spring be heavy enough to punch through a primer?
Ditto badgerjfr comments. I would recommend trying it first before you worry about replacing springs. I’ve got three of them and I’ve left them all bone stock. If I’m shooting for accuracy, I’m going to shoot it single action anyway, so the heavy double action trigger pull isn’t going to be an issue. And if I ever had to use it in an emergency, I rather doubt I’d even notice the heavy trigger pull. And believe me…a stock P-64 is perfectly capable of outstanding accuracy just the way it sits. I’ve also never had an issue with pierced primers, even when using domestic brass ammo with presumably thinner primer walls.
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

No affiliation ....... Just passing it on

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/16995 ... ounds.html
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Isn't that the ammo we have had a few post with having issues?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Curly, as far as I know, the 2 ammo brands that have had any issues has been the Wolf brand for alleged punctured primers. The other kind was Prvi Partizan as it was shown that the cases bulge. Those green/tan Makarov ones are steel case I believe. I'd have to look them up.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF