Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Info, pictures, advice...
badgerjfr

Re: Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Post by badgerjfr »

mine doesn't. that the wierdest thing. 1969 model
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Only 2 positions on the safety. There is no half-spot other than the transition where the safety starts to push-on or let-off of the disconnector. That is some of the resistance felt just as the safety gets to the red dot. Once it goes a bit past the red dot it fully pushes down on the disconnector and that is what causes the hammer to drop. So, when you're moving the safety from safe to fire and you feel this "half position" right as the red dot shows, that is what you're feeling, the disconnector. I would NOT carry the gun in this position. I'd leave it on safe or fire and whatever your preference is on having one in the chamber or not. I would not cock the hammer and move the safety to this "half position". If, and a strong IF, the safety were to move a bit farther and something snagged the trigger, then it's not going to be pretty. Only guns like the 1911, CZ-82s, and a few others can be carried cocked and locked.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Huff

Post by Huff »

I agree with Frank on this one. The double action trigger is not likely to get pulled accidentally and the auto safety ( half cock) functions well.
safety off one in chamber on this gun and most of the rest of my semi auto's.
Frank knows ( being a cop, what works)
Don't drop your pistol!!
huff
BCR#1

Post by BCR#1 »

irishbob979 wrote:A safety in the ON position is a "safety". In the OFF position it's a "shoot myself in the leg" lever. Just sayin'.
There has never been a more true statement made as I found out last Fri. night.

Bill
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

What happened last Friday night???
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes don't keep us in the dark Bill.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

com'on bill. tell us a story. :)
BCR#1

Post by BCR#1 »

I have to do some testing first but I will say I have two holes in my right thigh from a BB 94grn. FMJ.

Bill
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Ouch, glad you are here to post about it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

So the updated score on this forum is- Three injury-ADs with the safety-off, Zero injury-ADs with the safety-on. Not that I'm implying that a safety is a sure thing, but I will continue to carry with the safety on. Statistically you're more likely to shoot yourself in the leg than you'll need that extra .2 seconds to take down a bad guy.

I'm glad Bill is alive and (mostly) well to share his misfortune with us.
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! :shock: did you cry? :cry: i would have. ouch.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

MakAttack wrote:Statistically you're more likely to shoot yourself in the leg than you'll need that extra .2 seconds to take down a bad guy.
The question isn't whether or not it will take an extra .2 seconds, but rather, if the defender will be able to actuate the safety at all. There is some evidence, and at least one viral video, indicating that in a high-stress situation the defender may "forget" to flick off the safety or have too little fine motor skills at the moment to reliably manipulate the lever.

It's not a question of fractional seconds, but of ability to use the firearm at all.

Personally, I'm a "use the safety" guy. If my handgun has a safety, I will use it. I will practice with it. I will understand it. So that, in a high stress environment, I will be able to make use of it properly.

But the "extra fractional second doesn't matter" argument trivializes and ignores the true concern of the people who choose not to use the safety.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

You may also be liable for negligence if a bystander is injured due to a AD or ND discharge and it becomes known that you did not use the safety the sueing lawyers and possibly the DA will smell blood in the water.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

Hold on one a dad burn second ...... My PA-63 has to have the trigger pulled which "lifts" the firing pin up and is then struck buy the hammer ...... How is it going to AD even if the saftey is off? ..... Drop the firearm and hit the trigger the pin should still be behind the block? ..... Or am I missing something here ..... ???

I would pull the slid apart ....It's not difficult to do to make sure that the spring to keep the pin down behind the block is there (top of pin) OR working properly ..... Remember I pulled mine apart and found a bunch of ear wax in that area ......

Make sure you firearm is empty .... take off the saftey ..... put in SA ....while holding the trigger from hammering down ..... watch the pin and the block .... Pin should rise and lower with movement of the trigger ..... If the pin don't lower I'd be afraid of the built in safety of the design function ....... My .02 cents
Last edited by sharkey on April 22nd, 2012, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

PA-64? Are you sure it's not a Polish P-64 or are you talking about a Hungarian PA-63?