P64 vs. Walther PPK/S

Info, pictures, advice...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 vs. Walther PPK/S

Post by Curly1 »

Let us know how that ammo works out I have not tried it myself.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Cooper wrote:A couple of weeks ago I joined this forum after becaming intrested in purchasing a P64 for concealed carry. Currently I have a Glock 19, but it is too big.

I have read many of the forum threads on the P64 and am quite impressed with the favorable comments, though there are some negative ones too. One of the key elements of a Concealed Carry pistol is for it to be reliable and for the most part it does seem that the P64 is reliable, however some people have had accidental discharges and poor feeding with some hollow points. I examined a P64 at Gander Mountain yesterday and thought that the magazine release was in an awkward position, it felt good to hold and was easy to aim. Do others find that the magazine release is a serious problem? I note that one forum member fabricates an aftermarket release with an extenstion so it is easier to release the magazine. Of course new springs from Wolff's is a must.

I have also been considering the Walther PPK/S as an alternative choice, they are the same basic size and the Walther has a better magazine release as well as the ammo is likely to be easier to come by. I am not sure whether there are serious differences between the S&W, Interarms or made in Germany version over the years or if it is just loyalty to what people own.

The question that I was hoping to have answered is, if the two pistols were the same price, which would you buy and use as a concealed carry and why?

Thanks! Cooper
Well my friend, I have two P-64's and one PPK/S (Made in Ulm, Germany), and I can say that each gun has pros and cons. My Walther is a dream to shoot and the grip is big enough for me to get the entire hand on the gun, but I find myself having to curl my pinky finger under the grip on my P64's. If I don't do this, I will get "race tracks" on the top of my shooting hand. (Some people call this slide bite) My wife does not have this problem, but her hands are a lot smaller than mine. The P-64's 9x18mm is a bit more powerful than the Walther's 9x17mm. The sights are better on my PPK/S than on my P-64's, but not by a whole bunch. I believe my Polish guns have a little over the German gun in the accuracy department - this is just my shooting results. The Walther carries more rounds on board than the P-64. The magazine release is where we Americans like it to be on the Walther, but the "heel" magazine release on the Polish guns really does not bother me much. I can do a reload about the same speed with each. I have been lucky with the reliability of my P-64's so far - I mean they eat ball and hollow points just the same as my Walther does. I usually use either the Silver Bear HP ammo or the Hornady HP in my Polish guns, and I will usually use the Fiocchi or Hornady HP ammo in my Walther. Both carry about the same, but I would give the edge to the P-64 because I have a couple of pocket holsters that, if I wear the right pants, I can pocket carry the Polish guns where I cannot pocket carry the Walther. For me, personally, I would say it is awash between the two of them. I carry my P-64's way more than I do my Walther. Hope my humble summary helps. :hi:
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Curly1 wrote:Let us know how that ammo works out I have not tried it myself.
Will do, but I have NO experience with ammo as such to give any kind of review. :( other than the 3 Fails, (failure to feed, fire or eject). Being both the gun and ammo comes from behind the "Former Iron Curtain", I doubt there will be any issues. I was looking at the Academy Sports "branded" MONARCH 9x18 FMJ steel casing @ $9.99/50, but my local store will not have stock until JUNE! :evil: I called another local GS and the guy on the phone said, "I worked for Academy for 10 years. That MONARCH ammo is crap! It's dirty and out of a box of 50, you'll have 20 that failed to fire". Then he said, "We have 9x18 in WOLF for $20 per 50". I didn't know weather to laugh or curse! :|
I will say, his price on Hornady Critical Defense in 9x18 was priced = to online prices! Albeit, still about $1 per pop! Yet, less "shipping", which will only get worse as fuel prices rise!

Anyhow, I'll see how it works out. Being a Military firearm, it's designed to eat anything it's feed. :?:
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

p64-1973 wrote:
Cooper wrote:A couple of weeks ago I joined this forum after becaming intrested in purchasing a P64 for concealed carry. Currently I have a Glock 19, but it is too big.

I have read many of the forum threads on the P64 and am quite impressed with the favorable comments, though there are some negative ones too. One of the key elements of a Concealed Carry pistol is for it to be reliable and for the most part it does seem that the P64 is reliable, however some people have had accidental discharges and poor feeding with some hollow points. I examined a P64 at Gander Mountain yesterday and thought that the magazine release was in an awkward position, it felt good to hold and was easy to aim. Do others find that the magazine release is a serious problem? I note that one forum member fabricates an aftermarket release with an extenstion so it is easier to release the magazine. Of course new springs from Wolff's is a must.

I have also been considering the Walther PPK/S as an alternative choice, they are the same basic size and the Walther has a better magazine release as well as the ammo is likely to be easier to come by. I am not sure whether there are serious differences between the S&W, Interarms or made in Germany version over the years or if it is just loyalty to what people own.

The question that I was hoping to have answered is, if the two pistols were the same price, which would you buy and use as a concealed carry and why?

Thanks! Cooper
Well my friend, I have two P-64's and one PPK/S (Made in Ulm, Germany), and I can say that each gun has pros and cons. My Walther is a dream to shoot and the grip is big enough for me to get the entire hand on the gun, but I find myself having to curl my pinky finger under the grip on my P64's. If I don't do this, I will get "race tracks" on the top of my shooting hand. (Some people call this slide bite) My wife does not have this problem, but her hands are a lot smaller than mine. The P-64's 9x18mm is a bit more powerful than the Walther's 9x17mm. The sights are better on my PPK/S than on my P-64's, but not by a whole bunch. I believe my Polish guns have a little over the German gun in the accuracy department - this is just my shooting results. The Walther carries more rounds on board than the P-64. The magazine release is where we Americans like it to be on the Walther, but the "heel" magazine release on the Polish guns really does not bother me much. I can do a reload about the same speed with each. I have been lucky with the reliability of my P-64's so far - I mean they eat ball and hollow points just the same as my Walther does. I usually use either the Silver Bear HP ammo or the Hornady HP in my Polish guns, and I will usually use the Fiocchi or Hornady HP ammo in my Walther. Both carry about the same, but I would give the edge to the P-64 because I have a couple of pocket holsters that, if I wear the right pants, I can pocket carry the Polish guns where I cannot pocket carry the Walther. For me, personally, I would say it is awash between the two of them. I carry my P-64's way more than I do my Walther. Hope my humble summary helps. :hi:
It really does help. The more I read the more I learn. One thing I do like about the Walther is the CT laser option. However it does bring the price up quite a bit :cry:
Last edited by Nutnspecial on March 21st, 2012, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I wish folks would break up there long posts with some paragraphs it makes for easier reading.

I don't bother reading them if they don't regardless of what valuable insites might be buried in there.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Curly1 wrote:I wish folks would break up there long posts with some paragraphs it makes for easier reading.

I don't bother reading them if they don't regardless of what valuable insites might be buried in there.
Paragraphs are for a reason :roll: I had cataract surgery a few years ago and use 1.50 readers to view my laptop screen. Doesn't take long before my eyes start watering. :(
JSandi

Post by JSandi »

Its a unigraph!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The enter key is your friend.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
eclipse57

Post by eclipse57 »

Curly1 wrote:I wish folks would break up there long posts with some paragraphs it makes for easier reading.

Agreed. The other ones that kill me are no puctuation.
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Wow... Unigraph, enter key... I'm guilty too at times. :oops:
Regarding the PPK/S, I still think they are one of the "sexiest" pistols on the Planet! That's what drew me to the P-64. The Walther I can not afford. :( In fact, I can't afford a used beat up Glock.

That's why I decided to obtain my 03 C&R, because I can't afford (or justify) FFL transfer fees either!!

That being said, if $ were not an issue, (I may stay away from the "Intertec" guns). :?: .... , I would purchase a PPK/S (S&W) complete with the CT Laser option! :D

At the end of the day, a firearm is a "tool". Some can afford "Snap-On", others "Harbor Freight". :( I like to try and split it down the middle, "Craftsman". :roll: That reminds me, to check out what's new on the HiPoint forums. :shock: <---don't laugh! Better than NutN at all!

Nonetheless, the Russian ammo arrived (pics below), I wasn't home when the CZ-82 arrived....will have to pick it up from the PO tomorrow.

As I stated before, I can not give a proper review of the LVE ammo from Novosibirsk.

I must say, the 9x18 Mak is quite .380-ish! :shock: I remember the 9mm Luger having more "meat"?

On a different subject, .... what if you, a licensed CHP CCW holder, killed an unarmed 17 year old? (Sanford, FL issue). I'll make it very simple. If you hold a "concealed weapon permit", you should have been TAUGHT to "RUN from conflict"! The guy "playing" neighbor watch, had NO right under any letter of law, to "follow, peruse, or apprehend, much less murder, the 17 year old "child".

It really makes me sick! And he had a Florida CHP/CWP. .... not any more! (that bastard)

Oh well...most people are quite nice an genuine. (I am) ....stick an ice pick in the back of the neck for those who are not! :shock: No....SHOOT children armed only with candy.

Mercy. Tomorrow I'll upload pics of the CZ82. Meanwhile, I'll be Googling "BLACK CHROME", as a refinish option.

-P
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

i just got my shippment of LVE ammo 2 days ago...
i've never shot it before, but i'm itching to get to the range and try it out. :D
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

badgerjfr wrote:i just got my shippment of LVE ammo 2 days ago...
i've never shot it before, but i'm itching to get to the range and try it out. :D
Kinda looks like good ammo? (Does to me) Compare it to "Wolf brand". ...

Then again, nothing beats a properly thrown HAMMER!

Actually, 9x18 looks Like "Chicken Shit". (.380 ACP).. then, so does it all!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have read that the S&W PPK/S had a lot of quality control problems. I would go for an Interarms manufactured one instead.

Regarding the Florida shooting apparently their "Stand your ground" law includes public common areas which is where this happend in the gated complex.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Curly1 wrote:I have read that the S&W PPK/S had a lot of quality control problems. I would go for an Interarms manufactured one instead.

Regarding the Florida shooting apparently their "Stand your ground" law includes public common areas which is where this happend in the gated complex.
Indeed...and I believe there was a recall on the S&W PPK/S at one time. Of course, the best PPK was made in "West Germany" (before Intertec). :D

As for the Sanford FL issue...well, it should have NEVER happened! The "citizen" with then CHP should have NOT encountered the "subject" AT ALL! Unless (the subject) was kicking in a door doing a home invasion. Most (if not all) CCW trainers will say "Turn the other cheek" when the threat has turned his back to you, and is fleeing, and or "you" are doing such. Quite frankly, and even if it were me (the CHP holder), I would expect to be charged with "aggravated manslaughter". It reminds me of my UN-official security guard training. Which was, do NOT "break leather"! Breaking Leather means "someone" will need a "bus"!

Perhaps a new paragraph? Yes indeed! :roll: You might find the term "breaking leather" kind of funny. It's actually quite serious. "Breaking Leather" can be as simple as "un-snapping" the thumb strap. Although, not "fully broken" in my eyes, most will say that's enough. Actually, "Breaking Leather" is when the handgun is drawn from it's holster. Hopefully, weather done by a civilian or LEO, you are NOT "muzzling ME!" :wink:

Anyhow, I hope pressing the "enter" key breaks new paragraphs... :?:

...and I will be watching the 1 million hoodie march! Yes, "they" are pissed at the CHP holder killing an un-armed 17 year old.

I still can't believe it... Florida CHP holder followed and "hunted down" that youngster.

Yet, an "armed society is a polite society"... except for a few dumb asses. :roll:

Geezz... if that wasn't "long winded"! ....sorry :oops:

I could talk about the RAIN we have had! ...NAaa (LOL)
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Good Grief, it's STILL raining! (3AM central time) zip code 70115

Good Grief! I'm still awake! (I need to be knocked over the head)

LOL phun-knee....sNOT