Time to upgrade the old 8" for more recoil

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
RobsTV

Time to upgrade the old 8" for more recoil

Post by RobsTV »

After 154 years, the Remington is getting a little tired.

Seeing how recoil is a part of the P-64 discussion, figured this would be along those same line. Upgraded from 44 (.457) to a 500 S&W.
Attachments
TheUpgrade_4.jpg
TheUpgrade_2.jpg
TheUpgrade_1.jpg
fully machined

Re: Time to upgrade the old 8" for more recoil

Post by fully machined »

Way cool!! Funny how little has changed over the years---GO BIG OR GO HOME.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

Welcome to the BFG club, I have a few tips for you. First - if you don't reload, you should probably start. Second - no matter what you are doing with it (hunting, target, etc.) where ear plugs, you will never regret it. Other than that enjoy, its really fun to shoot. I've probably got about 400 rounds through mine, and except for one its been enjoyable every time.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Yep, reloading. Remington Core-Lok 385gr are great, but for best bang for the buck, mostly will use Berrys Plated 350gr (20 cents Grafs). Unlike most plated bullets, the 500 S&W Berrys can be fired at up to 2100fps. Started with A5744 but full case would only get me to around 1500fps. Slow enough for the wife to easliy shoot when loaded to around 1300fps.

Remington Core-Lok 385gr
AA5744 43gr, 1486 fps, pf=570, 1870 ft/lbs, ES-66, SD-31
A tad more powerful than the 200ft/lbs the P-64 chrono's at.

Picked up some A4100 (Ramshot Enforcer) to get closer to the 2000fps range. Just waiting on Redding Profile Crimp die to arrive today. The Lee die crimped hard still had a lot of bullet creep due too recoil.

I have been using it for cinder block disposal, as well as erasing hard drives 3 at a time.
Attachments
cinderblocks.jpg
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

Here is mine, I got it back in 2004. I load custom cast hardened lead at 450 grain w/gas check, and 34 grains of Lil' Gun. I can't remember off hand how fast its flying, it was years ago that I checked. I have it all down in my reloading book. Its good for taking care of unwanted trees also.

RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Nice.

A quick look at Hodgdon shows you should be around 1600fps with that heavier round and Lil'Gun. Any noticable bullet creep?
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

RobsTV wrote:Nice.

A quick look at Hodgdon shows you should be around 1600fps with that heavier round and Lil'Gun. Any noticable bullet creep?
No, the crimp digs into the lead and keeps it pretty solid. You can see it in the picture a little.