Got Another

Info, pictures, advice...
WarLord

Got Another

Post by WarLord »

I just picked up another P64 from Classic Firearms. It is a 1974 like my first one but is in better shape. I haven't got to the range yet so don't know how it will shoot. I am looking for some advice/reviews on ammo.

There are no dealers around here that carry Makarov ammo. Closest ones are about 35 miles away. One of them only sells American Eagle and they want $38.00 dollars a box. I can order 2 boxes of PPU from Cabelas and have it delivered for only about $5.00 more. So, how is the PPU ammo? Anyone shoot it?

Thanks for any input.
Americal 1970-1971 "We Kill Folks"
superferrite

Re: Got Another

Post by superferrite »

Just shot some today. About the same as my Wolf experience without the occasional fail-to-fire.

Still have to chase the brass to little avail...
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

PPU (Privi Partizan) is high quality ammo. I buy it in several rifle & pistol calibers & have never been disappointed or experienced any problems w/it. Try it- you'll like it.
BTW, $38/box? Really? I wouldn't pay that much if they came to my house, loaded my mags, stuck around til I finished shooting & then cleaned & re-lubed my pistol f/me. JMHO, of course.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
WarLord

Post by WarLord »

Donzi wrote:PPU (Privi Partizan) is high quality ammo. I buy it in several rifle & pistol calibers & have never been disappointed or experienced any problems w/it. Try it- you'll like it.
BTW, $38/box? Really? I wouldn't pay that much if they came to my house, loaded my mags, stuck around til I finished shooting & then cleaned & re-lubed my pistol f/me. JMHO, of course.
Yea,

$38.00 a box. When I told them Cabelas had the PPU for 16 something a box they said , "well this is Eastern Block ammo and we don't have much demand". I can see why.

So, thanks for the replys. I will get a couple of boxes and try it.
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

only place i could find the round is @ my local gander mtn. (LaCrosse, WI) they're asking for $28 a box. and i thought that was expensive. Brown bear ammo seems to be what i find most when looking to order online. about $11 a box. does anyone know if its anygood?
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Birds Away

Post by Birds Away »

I use Brown Bear and Silver Bear exclusively in my 9x18s. I have been very satisfied. I always order in bulk. Even with shipping it is well below anything I can find locally.
stonecutter2

Post by stonecutter2 »

Just ordered 10 boxes of PPU from Aimsurplus. I'll save vs. buying it locally, but more than that, i want the brass for reloading.

I usually use Brown Bear, which I can get for $14.99 at my local shop - I like going there and checking out what they've gotten in recently. I really want to encourage a local supplier of 9mm Makarov, so I eat the loss of a few bucks - I also sometimes do *not* want to chase brass, so cheap steel cased ammo rides along with me on those lazy days.

I like the steel cased ammo too, because that way nobody tries to load my 9mm Mak rounds thinking they're 9mm Luger :| I'm creating a brass catcher to snag my brass Mak rounds soon.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

To help me identify my 9mm Makarov brass quickly, I use a red sharpie on the headstamps. That makes separating 9mm Mak from 9mm Luger brass quick and easy.

Trimming down 9mm Luger brass for use as 9mm Makarov is the easiest case conversion ever. It helps make the loss of some 9mm Mak brass easier to take...

Dwight
WarLord

Post by WarLord »

Dwight wrote:To help me identify my 9mm Makarov brass quickly, I use a red sharpie on the headstamps. That makes separating 9mm Mak from 9mm Luger brass quick and easy.

Trimming down 9mm Luger brass for use as 9mm Makarov is the easiest case conversion ever. It helps make the loss of some 9mm Mak brass easier to take...

Dwight
Most likely I will just have to order on line. I would rather support a local dealer but if they won't carry anything except American Eagle or Hornaday (both very espensive) I don't have much choice.

I would just reload if I could find the brass but haven't had much luck finding it. I have also considered the prospect of converting 9x19 brass. Seems pretty easy. That brings up another question.

What would happen if someone picked up your converted brass and didn't notice the shorter length/slightly larger diamater. I don't think I would. Says 9mm luger.

So, now they resize/de-prime. You still probably wouldn't notice the different size/length. Then you reload, using your 9x19 seating die. You would still get the proper O.A.L. however little or no crimp due to the shorter case.

Now what happens when you shoot this ammo in you 9x19?
peter2011

Post by peter2011 »

I use tula9x18.....no problemas. But I will use bear next time.
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

thanks for the info on the bear ammo. guess ill be putting an order in soon. anyone know a reliable website?
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

WarLord wrote:... That brings up another question.

What would happen if someone picked up your converted brass and didn't notice the shorter length/slightly larger diamater. I don't think I would. Says 9mm luger.

So, now they resize/de-prime. You still probably wouldn't notice the different size/length. Then you reload, using your 9x19 seating die. You would still get the proper O.A.L. however little or no crimp due to the shorter case.

Now what happens when you shoot this ammo in you 9x19?
Well, if someone was to pick up my brass, they would have to do so when I wasn't looking 'cause I don't like to let my brass go. But, if they did end up with some of my brass, a dead giveaway would be that the entire headstamp is red from the Sharpie I use.

If that didn't clue them into something being odd about the brass, and they reloaded it as 9mm Luger, they would almost certainly find that the bullet ends up a bit loose in the case.

If, however, the bullet wasn't loose, I should think the round would fire without an issue. The volume between the bottom of the bullet and the bottom of the inside of the case would be the same as with proper 9mm Luger brass because the bullet seating die sets OAL from the tip of the bullet to the bottom of the case; the length of the brass itself doesn't play into it.

BUT -- the important thing in my mind is to realize that it is the responsibility of the reloader to verify that everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING - about the ammo he/she is loading is correct. If one is not willing to accept this responsibility, he/she should not be reloading ammo anyway.

Dwight
Birds Away

Post by Birds Away »

I usually order mine from Military Shooter.
Squeezer

Post by Squeezer »

my academy sports carries it for $9.50 a box. classic arms online sells it pretty cheap as well.