12-year Mosin sporter

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
superferrite

12-year Mosin sporter

Post by superferrite »

Don't try this, kids.
Madness by degrees!

Got this at Big 5 about 13 years ago, and immediately started messing around. Bedded the stock, recrowned, trigger job, etc. Non-refurbished, and looks it.

A fifty dollar rifle can be VERY expensive and time consuming...even on the cheap.
I swear, just the forend tip took me a week to do. Still, it is pretty sweet.

Ward223

Re: 12-year Mosin sporter

Post by Ward223 »

Wow!!! Very nice job!!!! Love the ring on the end of the bolt!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I very much like it, especially the mod to the bolt end. That ring was a great idea. How does it shoot?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

Looks good! But I have a question about the bolt mod. I've seen pics of this before, but always wondered how you adjust the firing pin protrusion now that the adjustment screw is no longer there. Am I missing something?
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

To the best of my knowledge, the cocking knob is still as it should be. They just make the ring so it will be straight up and down with the witness marks that are on the knob that line up with the slot in the firing pin. If the firing pin needs to go in a bit more or come out more, you just rotate the firing pin 1/2 turn in or out to make the change. It will always stay lined up either way.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
superferrite

Post by superferrite »

Right, you just disassemble the bolt and do a half turn by hand either way to adjust the FP.
The safety works great, just a 30 degree turn with your ring finger. Way easier than normal and way better than the ring on my K31.

I'm getting about 3 inches at 100 yards at best, but I might dial it in better. Using handloads, Hotshot brass, 150 grain Hornady softpoints, and about 47 grains IMR 4064.
The bore is worn and a bit dark in the grooves, but the trigger is great, the action is very slick for a Mosin, and I just plain like it.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Before I sold mine, I had floated the barrel. At 100 yards I could get the first 3 shots of a cold barrel in about 3/4". After it was warm, it opened up to 2" or so. The barrel on yours looks like it touches the stock, especially where you put the nose piece. You may want to think about floating it and possibly bed the action.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
superferrite

Post by superferrite »

First thing I did was glasbed it to about 2 inches ahead of the chamber. The nosecap has about one sheet of paper clearance. This may or may not be effecting it, but I might sand it down more. Thanks.
superferrite

Post by superferrite »

Added some relief on the barrel today, so now it's certainly free-floated. Got some Tru-0il drying now, and when I get it back to the range, I'll report back.
Also, now that my cases are fireformed, I'm going to neck-size only.

Gotta put in for a deer tag.
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

Wow, she's a beauty!

Normally I'm a leave it stock kinda guy, but I have to admit that's sweet.
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

You did some pretty good work on your Mosin. Mine has a laminated stock that is really stunning, so I think I will leave mine all original. If I did not have the laminated stock, I might think about it.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.