TRIGGER QUESTION

Info, pictures, advice...
fully machined

TRIGGER QUESTION

Post by fully machined »

I have a round hammer 71 and a spur hammer 76. The round hammer's trigger stops (makes contact) at the frame/trigger guard right at the trigger guard pin upon pull through. The spur hammer's trigger stops just short of everything. I was wondering what is stoping the 76's trigger and should it not to pull through to make contact. I guess this could be a distinct difference or just a fitment tolerence. It would be interesting to know what some of the other p64's triggers out there are doing!!!
mjmelland

Re: TRIGGER QUESTION

Post by mjmelland »

My 1976 P-64, as you have noted with yours, also does not make contact with the frame/trigger guard and stops just short of contact as well.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Hey thanks. Maybe all the spur hammers do this. My round hammer is easier on my trigger finger. It's stock and my spur hammer has 22 lb recoil spring smoothed out grips and some triggerbar work. It did get a LOT better, especial with a light, low hold. I think I just like the earlier ones better. I would like a 60's model but everybody said they did not have one. I was also kinda thinking(too Much) that maybe if my spur hammer could be modified to hit the guard it might be easier on the finger. Let me end by saying that I realize "it is what it is"-- not a target pistol, but a very small can of kick but--MICRO BLASTER!!!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That was part of the mod's done in 72-73'ish. Some stuff was changed in the trigger mechanism system. Not sure what all was changed as there is nothing real specific. Maybe someone else on here will chime in and specify. I don't think it's so much the hammer as it is maybe another piece. All the ones that were modified have an "A" stamped on the left hand side of the frame back towards the beaver stub (it's not really much of a tail). Some round-hammered guns will be marked with the "A". However, I do believe all triangular hammers are marked with the "A" as the hammer wasn't changed until after the first set of mods which were "A" designated.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Both the 71 round and 76 triangle have A's and a C within a diamond. The round hammer A is halfway rubbed where the slide cut out is, on top of the C. The 76 has the C on top.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Most interesting...

If it were me, I'd probably tear both of them apart and compare the parts. :)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Now you've got me worrying. My 76 triangle-hammer P64 allows the trigger to move all the way back til the tip hits the guard. Anyone else's do this?
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Thanks for that reply. I'm trying to get my trigger on my spur hammer to not kick back so much. I can shoot with a hold down but you can feel it wanting to go forward. if you try to shoot and let off, watch out!!! This got a LOT better with 22lb recoil and some trigger bar work. Let me end by saying this pistol has not once malfunctioned in about 250 rounds.
RJR573

Post by RJR573 »

I've got a 1976 with the letter A and the C in the diamond.

The top of the trigger hits the frame but the rest of it is about 1/16" from touching. If you want it to touch just remove sme material from the top of the trigger or the frame.
My wife calls me Leonard... If you've seen "Full Metal Jacket" you may understand.