What type/brand of ammo do you like to feed to your pistols?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
lklawson

Re: What type/brand of ammo do you like to feed to your pist

Post by lklawson »

Scout wrote:
juniustaylor wrote:Scout, I was not bashing your comment AT ALL. I do not go on here just to bash people's stuff. I was simply stating a FACT in case the person at the indoor range led you to believe something false. I don't know what made you flip out over what I said?? That's great that you want to comment, but don't fly off the handle when someone "adds" something to what you stated. It's a two way street.

Another reason that they don't like the steel core (rifle) jacketed (pistol) ammo is that the indoor ranges use rubber (tires?) in their backstops. They say that the spark from metal to metal contact can cause the rubber to catch on fire. Seems logical in the sense of the outdoor ranges claiming fire hazard.
Really..?? Seems to me you were waiting in the wings to slam the "new guy". The original post asked a question about ammo (type, availability, etc) and I answered and also gave some advice concerning my particular experience... then you came around in a VERY brusk manner (I am a Southerner and politeness STILL matters to me, sir) ...simply to say I was in the wrong. NOT to answer the original thread or add anything other than to (seemingly) give yourself a sense of superiority. The forum does not belong to you alone and courtesy should be extended to ALL here... even the new guys (2 way street, you say?). It's no surprise really, people can be very brave over the internet when not face to face.... but it still can be infuriating to me. THAT is why I'm "flipping out" as you stated... :? THINK about how your original post looked and was perceived and take it for what it's worth. As for me, I will no longer engage you in this anymore...We're done.
Dude, chill.

Your post was wrong, simple as that. You reported that you were disallowed to shoot the Bear brand because it was "steel core." This is just plain wrong. It's not steel core. and Juniustaylor is right that steel core pistol ammo is restricted in the U.S. because it is typically considered to be "Armor Piercing" (there are some exceptions that I am aware of).

Now, it may be that the guy at the Range told you wrong and, if so, that's his fault and you shouldn't take it personally. I've had similar experiences where I repeated misinformation and got called on it. It stings but it wasn't my fault because I was told something not true. It would be my fault if I didn't accept the correction or if I got huffy and insulted about it.

It's not as if he jumped all over you for calling a "magazine" a "clip" or something. Steel core ammo is serious business and if you were disallowed to shoot bi-metal jacketed ammo because someone up the food chain at the Range doesn't know his stuff (a common issue), then that also is serious business. He wasn't trying to "slam the new guy" with all of his "superiority." This isn't the Makarov Forum over at gunboards.

So settle down. No one here is your enemy and no one here will think less of you for getting told misinformation by a range-jockey who's 20 years behind the times.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

First, welcome - we enjoy all new members.
Second, I don't see where anyone slammed you or where anyone was brusk with you. You weren't told you were wrong, you were informed that the information you received from your range was incorrect. There's nothing wrong with learning something new.
Scout

Post by Scout »

You're right... you're absolutely correct and I apologize. There is no excuse for my previous posting and I wish to retract that. Not to excuse my behaviour, but I've had some very bad experiences on other forums and I guess that has put me on edge.

I again apologize to all here.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Fair enough.

Look forward to seeing you 'round.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Scout, I do apologize if I sounded rude as it was not my intention at all. I really was trying to offer help. Welcome to this board where everyone is pretty friendly.

On the matter of ammo...
I have run Norinco FMJ, Brown Bear FMJ, Silver Bear FMJ & HP, and maybe another kind or two through my P-64. It has fired all of them with no hangups that I can remember. I also shoot some of my reloads through it as well and they do good. I think most any ammunition seems to shoot fine in it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:On the matter of ammo...
I have run Norinco FMJ,
Norinco ammo? How many decades has it been since they let any of that in to the country? I think it was Clinton who put an import restriction on it, wasn't it?

But I've run Norinco and original Russian military manufacture in my Makarov. My P64 has gotten Brown Bear, Wolf FMJ (109 gr. truncated cone shape), Selier & Bellot FMJ, and Master Cartridge JHP. It all fed fine but the Wolf had a bit more recoil, nor does it feed well in my CZ82 notoriously unparticular about its diet.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

(edit: add CZ82 - which is what is notoriously unparticular in its eating habits)
Last edited by lklawson on August 18th, 2011, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

lklawson wrote:
juniustaylor wrote:On the matter of ammo...
I have run Norinco FMJ,
Norinco ammo? How many decades has it been since they let any of that in to the country? I think it was Clinton who put an import restriction on it, wasn't it?

But I've run Norinco and original Russian military manufacture in my Makarov. My P64 has gotten Brown Bear, Wolf FMJ (109 gr. truncated cone shape), Selier & Bellot FMJ, and Master Cartridge JHP. It all fed fine but the Wolf had a bit more recoil, nor does it feed well in my notoriously unparticular about its diet.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Love the norinco smell and all .it is now almost gone from anywhere. There was a local place that the owner had stockpiled years ago and he would put some out a couple of boxes at a time.I always got.I might like it because it has become relatively rare now.. I shoot everything but wolf(please that has been debated enuff here) the 64s eat it all flawlessly.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Scout,

Welcome aboard and glad to have you with us, just hang around and your find out we are a friendly and well informed board that appreciates its members input, we also run a fair and easy going board not like many other boards and we appreciate your understanding that by your apology, hope to see you around often.

Papa
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

My favorite is the Winchester 'Metric' 9x18mm, although I've been told it's actually made by Sellier & Bellot. Turns my P-64 into a veritable laser! Very difficult to find though, at least around these parts.
dalek

Post by dalek »

I myself have been getting Sellier & Bellot that I buy at http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/. Price is about the same as http://www.cheaperthandirt.com but their shipping charges are much better. I do have some 200 rounds of silver bear hollowpoints but have yet to use them.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

DoubleTap wrote:My favorite is the Winchester 'Metric' 9x18mm, although I've been told it's actually made by Sellier & Bellot. Turns my P-64 into a veritable laser! Very difficult to find though, at least around these parts.
Cheaper Than Dirt usually carries it.....
yup...it is in stock....
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2WNMC918M-1.html
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

I usually prefer to fire my own 9mm Mak reloads; but when it comes to commercial ammo, I generally end up buying Brown Bear from AIM Surplus. If feeds well in my P64, and the price is right. Once you get past the "stinky residue" aspect of Brown Bear, and if the "lacquered steel case" issue doesn't bother you, there's very little not to like about it.

Dwight
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Yup...I daily carry one of my CZ82's (and from time to time one of my P-64's) and always they are loaded with my reloads.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

Monarch stuff from Academy for my P64. Cheap and goes bang every time.