P-64 Extended Mag Release

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Duo_Z

P-64 Extended Mag Release

Post by Duo_Z »

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to this site. I found it when I first bought my P-64 a few months ago. So I have been lurking a little before.

But to the main subject. I fell in love with the P-64. Its a great little gun, but I didn't care much for the small hidden mag release. Its a little difficult to use. So I decided to make a new one. I figured others may feel the same as I do, so I'm offering to make them for you. This is something I do on my free time. So they are made per order with a limit of 2 at a time. They are made of hardened 4140 steel and come machined and debured, but need finishing(bluing). I don't have the means to give them a finish at this time. I can make them of other materials, but depending on the material it may change prices. The standard 4140 release cost $35 + shipping. I do not know how much interest there is in this, but as a safety measure, if orders start stacking up I will stop taking them until I can catch up. I don't want people placing an order and waiting forever to get one. Feel free to ask questions you may have.

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P-64 Extended Mag Release

Post by juniustaylor »

That is real nice looking! I don't have interest in it right now but I may later on down the road. Surely you'll have some takers on this offer. I like it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Interesting. Have you had any issues with the extended release snagging during CC and causing unintentional mag release?

As for finish, have you considered Duracoat or, perhaps Stainless Steel (or maybe an appropriate grade of aluminum)?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

I have not tested the cc situation. I'm from WI and cc just started to today actually, so it was not something I normally thought about. But I do carry it in a paddle holster when I'm hunting and working in my swamp and it hasn't been a problem. I know its a very different form of carry, but its all I can offer at the moment.

I have thought about different finishing options. But there are so many options, I thought it best to let the buyer decide for them self at this time. I also have no means of doing it in a cost effective way. I guess if requested I could give it a bluing from a bottle, but I dislike the quality of it. If requested I will make it in stainless, but the price would increase due to the material cost and extended machine time. I have slowly been researching the possibility of an aluminum version. Price would probably be close to the original version, depending on material prices.
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

This is a great idea! What about making one with a hole in the end so that the keyfob trick that you can pull with standard Makarovs becomes an option? Just a thought.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

Makarov- wrote:This is a great idea! What about making one with a hole in the end so that the keyfob trick that you can pull with standard Makarovs becomes an option? Just a thought.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Do you have a picture?
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Duo_Z wrote:
Makarov- wrote:This is a great idea! What about making one with a hole in the end so that the keyfob trick that you can pull with standard Makarovs becomes an option? Just a thought.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Do you have a picture?
The Makarov heel release has a hole in it that is sometimes used to pass a split-ring ("key ring") through. The ring is then grabbed as an enhanced release, similar to the way that the Okapi knife or Cold Steel's Kudu works.

I think Makarov.com used to have a pic.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Photo at http://www.makarov.com

Don't know if your extended mag release would benefit from they keyring. I think the mag release on the Mak is stout but I don't recall. I just know some folks find it easier to have the keyring in there. The release on the P-64 seems relatively light as it is and this extension would make it easier to get to and have more leverage on. I suppose you "could" add a hole for someone that would want to add the keyring, but it really wouldn't be necessary.
Lady warsaw

Post by Lady warsaw »

Looks really good. Ever try to extend the mag catch. Would be nice to use a 8 round Makarov mag, but there might be other issues with the mag shapes
stover

Post by stover »

I dont think the split ring is needed/or desirable on a P64. The mags will drop free once the mag release is pressed, similar to a P38. On the Makarov they will not, unless the release is held back out of the way until the mag is free.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I agree with Stover on that point.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

Adding a hole in there would not be very difficult at all. I personally don't think its really needed, but if you want one I can do it.
Looks really good. Ever try to extend the mag catch. Would be nice to use a 8 round Makarov mag, but there might be other issues with the mag shapes
I have not tried this, but if the Mak 8 round mag will fit and function in the P-64 I could give it a try.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I don't know if the mag from the Mak would even fit the '64. If it would, you would have to cut the little piece off on the follower that operates the slide hold open on the Makarov. So, you would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. You could possibly gain 2 more cartridges but ruin the mag so it wouldn't function in its intended pistol. Doesn't seem worth it unless one has a bunch of Mak mags and no Mak.
bush5253

Post by bush5253 »

just got my 2 mag release, they look really good, great communications.
when I get time to install them I will post info
Mhartler

Post by Mhartler »

Got mine yesterday. Installed and works great. Excellent quality and workmanship. A little Oxpho-blue and it matches the gun nice.

Thanks Matt!