Mosin Nagant Supply Drying Up in Russia

Use this section for all other firearms
The Only Sarge

Mosin Nagant Supply Drying Up in Russia

Post by The Only Sarge »

Just got a email "heads up"......
The Russian Gold Mine of surplus Mosin's is nearing its end.

The sky is not falling obviously as there are a few kabillion out there......but the day of $75 dollar shootable Mosins are probably coming to an end.

Just a FYI :hi:
Byrd

Re: Mosin Nagant Supply Drying Up in Russia

Post by Byrd »

I got that same e-mail...went & checked my Mosin supply & found 6. I should buy more. All kidding aside, in the surplus market, I have learned that you need to get them when they are first on the market & cheap, because eventually they will be gone. I wish I would have stocked up on $90 AK "kits", and Turk Mausers for $80 & M95's for $69 & M44 Mosins for $50. A friend has a Remington Rand with box & receipt that he paid $17.50 for in the 60's. I offered his money back on that old clunker & he said bad words to me.
From Above Only & Not Beneath!
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I have a friend exactly like yours. :) Good news is my body will not contort into the position required for me to follow his request.

We (us old collectors) sometimes lose the excitement factor of our toys. So often people come here to hunt. They always want to shoot an AK47. But many also take one of the Mosin Nagants hog hunting.
They love the history of what they are shooting. I have seen so many "city folks" taking each others pictures with the bayonet on....and I am guilty of accepting hundreds of dollars for a few of my Mosins/SKS :) Hey you offered it!...makes me feel better.

You should see what is left of Mr. Piggy after a 7.62X54R has it's way with his head.

I just ordered 3 more @$75 each from Classic Arms.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I have a feeling that surplus rifles in general are going to be completely drying up soon. We've nearly run through all of the pre-Korean era bolt action rifles and are impinging upon the era of auto loaders which can't be imported without some serious mods (if at all).

Soon the C&R market may be mostly handguns. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I agree^
There is no "unlimited" supply of much of anything. Eventually you will exhaust it.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

The Only Sarge wrote:I agree^
There is no "unlimited" supply of much of anything. Eventually you will exhaust it.
Problem for me is, I've never been much of a Rifleman. I'm pretty mediocre behind the buttstock of a rifle (in fact, I just asked one of my WMA students for some pointers). At one point I'd collected about 5 or 6 C&R rifles but, because I don't shoot them, I've traded them out or given away half. I'm currently down to one and one I thought was a C&R at the time. I still have a non-matching German Mauser and an M1 Carbine that I believed was an Inland when I bought it but it turned out not (I keep it because I still like it even if it's a post-war repro).

I had a super nice U.S. marked lend-lease Enfield that I traded to a friend for a CZ82 in really nice condition. I know that the Enfield would typically bring a lot more than that, but, well, he is a friend and, after buying the rifle, it sat in my safe for 5 years and I still hadn't put round-one through it yet. A rifle that nice deserves some range-love and I wasn't giving it. Plus, I kept the paperwork from when I bought it, and, technically speaking, I still made a bit of a "profit" out of the deal. And I was jones'n for another pistol.

I remember I had one of the less common M44 Carbines. I couldn't hit the broad-side of a barn with it (from the inside!). I'm sure the issue was me, not the rifle, but, combined with the ever-so-comfortable STEEL BUTTPLATE and the fact that the 54R cartridge kicks like a mule on my girly-man shoulder, I gave it away.

Things like that.

Now that I'm certain supplies of these sort of rifles are drying up, I feel a little sad and wonder if I should have kept more.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

I was wondering about this; noticed the availability of "Hex" receivers is almost non-existent as of late.

Glad I nabbed one a year ago.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

The hex receivers are out there, they just aren't as common. I just got one not too long ago. The prices are going up though, so I'm going to order one more soon.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

Gary2112 wrote:... so I'm going to order one more soon.
Probably a smart move.
My baby when she arrived a year ago, cosmoline and all...

Let's hope the surplus ammo holds up for awhile! :shock:
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

Nice rifle. Is that a laminate stock?

I'm hoping that the ammo holds out too.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I thought Russian guns stroed in Russia could not be imported anyways and the ones coming in were from the Ukraine and other Communist satellite contries.

If there are any still squirrled away in Russia that is.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

Gary2112 wrote:Nice rifle. Is that a laminate stock?

I'm hoping that the ammo holds out too.
Yea it is. 1933 Tula with the larger cocking knob.
The stock is much lighter in color than the pic shows, especially after I sweated all the cosmo out.

I call her Blondie. :D