"New" Smith

Use this section for all other firearms
Byrd

"New" Smith

Post by Byrd »

Just picked this up today, interesting old S&W. From what I can gather it is an 1899 Target Model that shipped from the factory originally with a 6 in. bbl. At some point in it's history, this was chopped to three inches & a new sight added. The grips are real Mother of Pearl. Lockup is tight & there is no endshake. The finish is worn, but that is fixable. Since the collectability is ruined, should I leave it as is or park it? I have another set of factory grips I will modify to fit the round butt.
Attachments
S&W #5.jpg
S&W #2.jpg
S&W #1.jpg
From Above Only & Not Beneath!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: "New" Smith

Post by juniustaylor »

I'd say in the condition it is in, collectible or not, do as you see fit. If you want to parkerize it, I would say go for it as it's your gun. It would probably look nice parkerized. Its a shame that someone decided to hack the barrel, but it's what someone wanted to do just as you would like to parkerize it. I'd support you either way you go!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I say, leave it "as is." Even chopped, there's still collectability to it. Particularly if you can find out when/who chopped it. If it was carried as a Detective piece by a sheriff or something, for instance, that adds interest.

If you're going to refinish, I think it would look best in a deep blue. I just don't think that parking would match the MoP grips.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Haven't decided what to do with it. You are correct, a deep blue would look better than park, but parkerizing is so easy to do! I may try my hand at rust blueing it. That would be a labor of love for sure. I did discover that this particular model was only made for about 2 years, 1899 - 1902, and all Smith's after that had the front locking lug under the barrel. It almost makes me want to leave it alone & just preserve the history it has earned!
From Above Only & Not Beneath!