WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
KINGWC

Hey! from Kentucky All.

Post by KINGWC »

Hey guys and gals.

I signed up on the board on Friday after ordering my first P64 from Aims and it's suppose to arrive today so I thought I would stop and say hello. I am just another old fart for central Kentucky that got back into guns after about 35 years. I have been reading a lot about the P64 on here and looking forward learning all I can about it from you guys. A lot of good information on here.

kingwc
millerusaf

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by millerusaf »

....got me a nice little P64, and figured I'd join up this forum and pay attention to the experts. :)

I'm from Montana and spend most of my internet time goofing around on my youtube page.
superferrite

Post by superferrite »

Okay, I've been posting for weeks, so I guess I need to check in!

I've been a C&R collector since the mid-Nineties and have been reloading for half that time.
Don't have any "modern" firearms save a couple of .22s a friend gave me.
Love to shoot with my kids here in Tucson.
Great to see all the helpful compatriots here!
Docmow1

Post by Docmow1 »

Hello to all! I'm a new member and recently purchased my first P64. Thanks for all the great information here on this site. I've been active in gun collecting and recreational shooting for the past 30 years. In addition to my handguns, I love skeet shooting. I have 4 sons and I taught them to shoot as soon as they could hold a gun. My oldest is now mid 20's and youngest 17. It's wonderful getting everyone together for an afternoon of targets and clays.

Now, about my P64. After doing some research, I went to my local gun store (Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, KY - also know as the Bourbon Captial of the world!) to select a concealed carry weapon. I looked at a ton of options including the KelTechs, IO Wildcat, and several others. I finally asked if they had anything slightly used. The clerk mentioned the Polish P64. He indicated that they had received about 50 of them in various states of condition and I could have one for 199. Well, after holding one, I was sold. It was solid to hold, which to me means trustworthy. It didn't feel like one of those plastic jobs. As a huge bonus, I got to pick through the box and select the one I wanted. I got a beautiful gun - with a few holster wear marks, but otherwise great. I bought 10 boxes of Silver Bear and headed out to the range. The gun shoots like a dream - reliable and accurate. Yes, it has a sort of "snap" when it discharges, but I really like that. It lets you know you are shooting a real gun! I now know what I will be getting my boys for their next birthday gift.

Thanks to everyone who posts the great information I found to help me get started in the right direction with my P64!
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." -Unknown
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome guys, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay and look forward to see some of your pics of what ya got!!
zbirdman777

Post by zbirdman777 »

This is my first post here, I don't usually post much on forums but like to dig a lot. Anyway, my name is Zach and I live in Lubbock, TX and am a student at Texas Tech. I'm 22 and have been shooting guns my whole life since I had a range in my backyard growing up. I've never gotten into pistols until recently. Picked up a Para USA SSP 1911 and finally a handpicked P64 from AIM surplus about a month ago. I am very happy with both.

I love my P64. It looked like it had never been shot since there was no wear on any of the moving parts. It's very solid and ammo is readily available for $9 per 50 here in lubbock in Monarch brand. I've put 300 rounds through it. Not a single jam, I purposely didn't clean it to test it. Shot with a limp grip, sideways, manually loaded bullets. No jams, no matter what. It's more consistent than my 1911 which I have to keep clean. Personally I don't think the recoil is bad on the P64. Feels comfortable, and I get staggering accuracy out of it. And its fun to see how fast I can remove the slide. Record is 8 seconds. My only complaint is that it ejects the shells like 50 feet out and I can't lock the slide back. The DA trigger pull is fine with me also. I can keep it loaded off of safety and that trigger WON'T get pulled by accident. Ordered some white grips with a thumbrest from Zee. Wanted wood but I can't justify spending that much on this gun and I also have wood on my 1911 anyway. Probably will conceal this gun when I get my license 2 weeks from Saturday, may even use it to qualify. My sights are set on a Mosin Nagant next or a CZ82 as the first gun for my girlfriend.

Anyway, glad to be a member here, this is the most I will ever talk. I'll be digging around in topics silently.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Welcome Zach. Glad you found your way on here. Those are nice looking pistols. I have a CZ82 and they're very comfortable to shoot. The grips fit me perfect. DA and SA are very nice and they're good for women shooters who may not be able to pull a heavy DA. I think they're a fantastic gun. Mosins are nice too. I had one that required lots of work to get it to shoot good (I traded it off for a Turk Mauser) and 2 others that are excellent shooters, a 1943 M38 and a 1937 M91/30.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

zbirdman777 wrote:This is my first post here, I don't usually post much on forums but like to dig a lot. Anyway, my name is Zach and I live in Lubbock, TX and am a student at Texas Tech.
Hi. I like TX. My father graduated from Sunset School of Preaching right there in Lubbock and I spent a summer working in DFW while in U.

Nice looking firearms.
The DA trigger pull is fine with me also. I can keep it loaded off of safety and that trigger WON'T get pulled by accident.
Be aware that one forum member had an AD due to dropping a P64 on the hammer while the safety was off. A long, heavy, DA pull is definitely a kind of safety, reducing accidental pulls, but there are other issues to consider. In the end, it's your choice, just take all issues into account when coming to your decision.

The CZ82 is a great handgun. Most people really like the trigger. I own a comparatively rare double-stack Makarov (IMEZ IJ-70 18AH) which I compare to the CZ82. The CZ82 is really a superior design.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
zbirdman777

Post by zbirdman777 »

@Junius Yea my girlfriend can't even pull the trigger on the p64 in DA. She's been getting more into guns lately and the makarov round seems very forgiving. She'd be comfortable with it, especially since the recoil on the 1911 doesn't bug her at all. I saw some of your threads on the cz82 in the other 9x18mm section. Since the ammo is so cheap here, I'd like to have the cz82 around just for fun as far as target shooting goes. I don't think I'd conceal it though because its too hard to conceal for the round it fires. I might as well keep my 1911 on me. I think its a little narrower.

@lawson I had to look up that school. I know it as Lubbock Christian I think. I see it all the time. Lubbock is a great place as far as ministry goes and getting plugged in.

I don't plan on leaving the safety off while carrying. I was mostly just talking about just handling the gun in general if the safety was off and the hammer was down.

That's very interesting about the makarov. I was actually reading up and comparing the two. I would end up with the cz82 anyway since like you said, the 12 rnd makarov is rare. I can only find the 8 round. Oddly enough, the 8 round isn't C&R eligible (At least the Bulgarian) so I can't buy it with my license. But I DO know CZ makes excellent firearms.

Wow you guys are friendly. Usually people are trolling by now on any other forum! Thanks guys!
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Welcome to the forum. I think about half of our local kids (Boerne, Texas) go to school at Texas Tech.
I conceal carry one of my CZ82's in a IWB very nicely and comfortably.
zbirdman777

Post by zbirdman777 »

That's awesome! There's not any of them in Electrical Engineering are they? I love it here at Tech. They even offer CHL classes for $45 dollars. You can't beat that.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

No I think all the Boerne guys are majoring in belly button lint removal. I really do not know. But I do know Boerne has a lot of kids every year go to Tech. Hard work pays off.....stay with it.....My daughters went to UT and Baylor. I went to college/graduated in Europe (UK) and my wife went to East Texas so we really do not have much of a dog in the hunt when it came to where the girls went.

If you wish to find the kids from Boerne just wear a Boerne Sucks T-Shirt. The ones that agree with you are from Boerne.

Baylor CHL classes are $40 :) Beat ya!
DanaD.

Post by DanaD. »

Hello everyone! I'm Dana from Houston, Texas and I very recently got a p64 a long with a Kel Tec P3AT. I figured that I should probably get a gun since I'm a female and out late at night with friends and at times I leave the office late. I'm going to take the CHL class next month and can't wait.

I really like my P64 and honestly don't know why people complain so much about the recoil. I have very small hands, I'm only 5'1" and I have tendonitis in my trigger finger, but the recoil doesn't bother me. ^_^

I work in litigation support and my hobbies include bass fishing, stencil art, wheat pasting, jogging and whatever else seems fun at the time.

Thanks for having me!
anglen

Post by anglen »

Name's Ken but I go by my middle name Anglen mostly because I and always count on it not being used.

I'm so new I only have a 50 round box of brown bear that came in the mail yesterday and I have a 3 day wait. So it's looking like Thursday at the latest before I pick up my p64. I purchase it from jp sales online and sent it to a local pawnshop that I've been purchasing a few guitars from.

What sold me on the p64 was the narrow profile on the pistol, I may get a carry permit sometime in the future and I wanted a small but full size pistol.

I'm going to spend the time going though the board and get my learn on.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

:hi: Welcome Ken! :hi:
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF