Bought a Turkish Mauser.

Use this section for all other firearms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Bought a Turkish Mauser.

Post by juniustaylor »

I traded a Mosin rifle + paid some difference for the Mauser. It was $189. I got way less for the Mosin than it is really worth in time and parts that I put on it to spruce it up a bit (bolt handle, scope mount, etc). I have been battling this gun for about 3 years to get it to shoot good. I got it from 10-12" groups at 100 yards down to about 4". I ended up buying another wood stock to get that 4" group. I then further cut the stock down as my barrel had been cut down and recrowned to remove the counterbored area and I wanted to completely remove the front sight. So, I cut the stock down further, refitting the nose cap and cut the handguard down and refitted the metal trim piece. I then completely floated the barrel. I took it out to shoot earlier this morning and I put 3 shots in about 7/8". So, while that was a superb group, I have worked for 3 years for that one moment. I have 2 other Mosins that are wonderful shooters so I decided to let this one go. Anyway, back to the Turk. The Turk Mauser was re-assembled in 1942 and is a K. Kale. The bore in it is very bright and shiny. I completely disassembled it to get some remaining crud out. Took the bolt all the way apart to get rid of the remaining cosmoline in the little pieces. Anyway, I'm out the door to go shoot it. I will post pictures tomorrow as it will probably be getting dark by the time I return. Will post about the accuracy. The condition of the gun is in great shape with a pretty good gouge by the rear sling swivel, but I don't mind.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
darrell

Re: Bought a Turkish Mauser.

Post by darrell »

I have a 1944 Turk Mauser. Make sure you check out the firing pin spring in the bolt. A lot of those are either weak or clogged with Cosomoline. If you have trouble firing surplus ammo a lot of time it is the spring. I replace mine and it went from may firing one out five surplus rounds to 100%. I did have to hit one twice but it went off. They are nice inexpensive guns. I paid $65 dollars because I had to refurbish the stock.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

This one is in real nice shape. I completely dismantled the bolt and took all the small pieces out and individually cleaned each one and reassembled and used Lucas Gun Oil on the pieces. I bought a box of Prvi Partizan when I bought the rifle and shot them tonight. All of them went boom, recoil was mild. My wife shot it and liked it also. I shot a few shots at a paper target to figure out the sights. It seems to be pretty well on. I had a 1 Liter bottle with water and blew it up the first shot. We found some clay targets in the skeet range and put them on the berm and I did relatively well at shooting them. I didn't hit all of them, but did pretty good I think for the size that they are. Overall, I am very pleased with this rifle and am glad that I traded my project Mosin off for it. For the most part there isn't much cosmoline in this one, it's probably been mostly all cleaned out. I did notice some seeping out of the stock in the sun when it was in the car. I'll have to finish sweating it out sometime. Thanks for the info Darrell.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Any thoughts on converting .30-06 brass into 8mm Mauser? I don't have a .30-06 but had picked up some range brass many months ago as my dad does have a .30-06. Anyway, I read it can be done and watched a youtube video on it. Main question is, is it worth it? I can't find any good deals on brass for the 8mm Mauser, everyone wants too much. Are there any safety issues with it? It seems like it would be relatively safe. By my measurements it looks like the .30-06 will have to smoosh in just a tad in overall body diameter.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

yes it can be done that way , if I where going to do it , I think I would anneal the cases first , then I use a trim & forming die, its a lot easer , I make 41 Swiss out of 8 mm lebel cases

forming the 8 x 50R Lebel into the 10.4 x 42 R Swiss with a trim & forming die

this is not by all means the cheapest way to go , this is the way I like to do it for me it is the easiest way

first thing is you have to anneal the brass past the shoulder

you will need a shell holder, and a universal extended shell holder, and the trim die

screw in die until it bottom's out on the shell holder , I like to have handel go half way when it bottom's out

lube your brass , I don't care what kind of lube you use, just lube it

run your case up into the die until it bottom's out

take a hack saw and cut what ever sticks out the top

take something that's tapered and like a tapered punch and push in the case mouth

take a file and smoothout

chamfer your case like normal

finish case next to 8 x 50R Lebel

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

click on pix

it takes 39 seconds to do one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Norm, thanks for the tips, photos, and video. Definitely informative. I'll have to look into one of those dies. I used a modified Lee gage and ball cutter. Just had to run them in the drill, really tightening them down in the lock stud with pliers. I ran them all that way to get them trimmed close to the right length, then finishing them on the Lyman Universal to the 8x57mm length. I'm just waiting for the die set to come in from Midway so I can form them.

Pictures of the rifle. From what I understand, the K. Kale rifles are made up of mismatched and Turkish made parts. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, or if it even matters?

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

that's a nice looking rifle

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That is a very nice Turk! That is fine tiger stripe in the stock, did you have to do any cleanup on it? I bought a K Kale Turk years ago, and it was the worst mil-surp I have ever cleaned cosmo out of!
From Above Only & Not Beneath!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Nope, it was pretty much already all clean. I took a few of the moving parts and the entire bolt assembly apart and cleaned each piece. However, it was already in good shape.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Alright, I did it. I converted the .30-06 brass to 8mm Mauser. I already had them trimmed to length and just had to form them in the sizing die. I got them in the mail this morning so I formed all of them before I had to go into work. Very easy process. I used Imperial Sizing Wax as I like it and think it works good for all my other rifle cases. I lubed these up exactly as if I were simple resizing them and used a Q-tip to put a dab on the inside of the case mouth. They ran up into the die very smooth without a lot of resistance. I then lowered them out, rotated a half turn, and ran them back into the die for a second pass. I think they turned out real nice.

In my reading on the topic, I saw that it was recommended to load them at moderate to higher charges but not max. The reasoning was for the fire-forming part of the shoulder as that's where the headspacing is done. By loading them at a moderate or higher charge, it ensures that the shoulder is formed quickly and keeps hot gasses from being expelled at the shooter's eyeball. I plan on wearing safety glasses when I shoot these converted ones for the first time. I'm real glad to have learned and done something different. An RCBS forming die is on my Christmas wish list. Definitely just using a hacksaw and file will speed up production on cutting down cases. .30-06 is readily available brass at the local shooting range and with deer season coming up, I should be able to get my hands on quite a bit. I did read that .270 Win brass and .25-06 will work as well to form into 8mm Mauser. .270 is pretty common around here, but not .25-06.

Photos:
20 rounds of converted brass. (150 gr Hornady Interlock .323", 49 gr IMR4064, Win WLR primer)

Converted case (left) compared to Prvi Partizan factory (right)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

8mm Mauser converted case next to a .30-06.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Jun

they look great, as for a form & trim die try http://www.ch4d.com/ , that's where I get most of odd ball dies, call Dave talk to him tell him want you plan to do , he'll make the die for you or sell you one he has in stock, and they are a little cheaper than RCBS ,
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

juniustaylor,

This is the best darn looking Turk Mauser I've ever seen, you can't go wrong with Norm's info, he has steered me straight for years.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

papabear wrote:juniustaylor,

This is the best darn looking Turk Mauser I've ever seen, you can't go wrong with Norm's info, he has steered me straight for years.
THAT TURK IS A LOT BETTER LOOKING THEN MINE.. THE TURK WAS THE 1ST MAUSER I GOT YEARS AGO.. PAID LIKE 90 BUCKS IF I REMEMEBER RIGHT..CANT AGREE MORE WITH PAPABEAR ABOUT NORM. HE HAS MADE MY LIFE EASIER HELPING ME FIGURE OUT STUFF ABOUT GUNS IN GENERAL AND RELOADING ESPECIALLY... GOTTA GO SEE IF I CAN FIND A PICTURE OF MY MAUSER OR DIG IT OUT OF SAFE AND TAKE A NEW ONE.