Misfires with Silver Bear

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Misfires with Silver Bear

Post by juniustaylor »

clrollins, you can put some lube in the spot where the safety pops into. Get the FP held with the forceps. Gently pry the safety over enough to gain access to that area in the slide. Drop some oil or use a toothpick or Q-tip to dobber some grease in there. Pop the safety back in place, release the firing pin. See if that does anything. If not, you may have to take the safety out and check for any burrs that may need smoothed out with some emery cloth.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I took an hour and a half to put my homemade one back in. Used a small screwdriver and a lot of patience.

I like your way better, Junius.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Gene, glad you found some value in the previous posts. The inflator tip was purely by accident. I was trying to find something to compress the detent and noticed I had that tip sitting on my shelf. Saw the open end and figured "what the heck, it'll surely work". Turned out it did good, I could hold it with my right hand thumb while holding the slide. The left hand could then push the safety on in. Just requires practice and patience.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

clrollins, not sure if you want to attempt it. Another thing that can improve some of the stiffness of the safety is to alter the detent a bit. First off, does the safety feel the same when the slide is off the frame and when it's on the frame? The safety will have a tad more resistance on the frame because it has to push the disconnector down when you move it to the SAFE position. If it feels rough on and off the frame, then it's probably an issue with the safety. If you only notice it when it's on the frame, then it could be some grittiness in the disconnector system. Anyway, go ahead as before and see if you can find any burrs. Lube it up a bit. If there is still no improvement you can do some work on the detent.

I have a spare detent so I wasn't worried about ruining my current one. I simply used a stone wheel on my Dremel and took the point down to a ball shape. Picture:

Makes it easier to move the safety between positions as it doesn't have to push the detent down so far to force the point out of the indent of the safety itself. Something to think about. I did this just a few minutes ago and it took less than a minute to get it how I liked.
clrollins

Post by clrollins »

Well, the basketball inflator needle is a no-brainer next time I go to Walmart. Thanks. The firing pin channel was scrubbed thoroughly. I'm going to grease the safety. I'll leave the other springs alone for the time being. I love this little gun and may get another if I can resolve my problems.
I really appreciate all the help.
clrollins

Post by clrollins »

I just got back from the range, so I thought I'd give you an after action report. Mixed results. Started with the Silver Bear. At first, some but a reduced number of misfires. However the more I shot, the worse it got. Switched to PUU - much, much better, but I was still getting a few misfires. In desperation, I sat down on the bench and focused on holding the pistol as tightly and firmly as I could. No misfires! So I went back and tried the same technique with Silver Bear - no luck - just as bad as before. The mag fell out one time and the grip screw worked loose and off into the ether went that little retaining nut. In a former life, I must have really POed some pagan Polish god. Shame. I really like this little pistol, but I'm not going to rely on it. Y'all take care!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That's real unfortunate about the pistol not firing the Silver Bear properly. I also have not heard of magazines ejecting on their own other than a few select pistols with a 17# hammer spring in them. I did put a 17# in mine and knock on wood, have not had any problems with misfires with any ammo nor does my mag pop out. As for the grip screw, you can buy another (alternative). Look at Lowe's or most any other hardware store for a M3 x 0.5 pitch metric nut. They'll be tiny.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

juniustaylor wrote:As for the grip screw, you can buy another (alternative). Look at Lowe's or most any other hardware store for a M3 x 0.5 pitch metric nut. They'll be tiny.
I couldn't find a long M3 fastner at Lowes. I decided to purchase some NC #4-40 screws and will tap the frame to accommodate them. I know that the piece won't be "stock" any longer but putting a tapped in screw onto both sides will insure that the grips will stay put.

Edit: The hole through the grip is LARGER than a NC #4-40. Just purchase a NC #4-40 pan head screw that has a thread length a little bit longer than an inch. Top with a flat washer and nut. A little locktite green will probably keep the whole thing tight.

Gene
clrollins

Post by clrollins »

Hi Gene,
I actually found a pair of grip screws on Gunbroker. Sure wish I could lick that misfire problem. I may try to find a longer firing pin if such an animal exists. I did acquire a CZ-82, so I will be able to check the ammo with another gun. Thanks for all your help.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I found a set of NC #4-40 x 1 1/4 panhead screws at Lowes. Add a #4 Nut and washer. I trimmed the excess with a set of diagonal cutters and filed down the stub. Total cost was five bucks.
Gene, glad you found some value in the previous posts.
Thanks again, Junius. You saved me from chucking the poor pistol across the room. The P-64 is a fine handgun. I'm just not a very competent artificer, at least not yet.