Howdy from a new member

Info, pictures, advice...
Tikka

Howdy from a new member

Post by Tikka »

Howdy,
Just introducing myself and saying howdy from Texas. After avidly reading past posts for a few days, I decided I needed to join -- don't own a P-64 yet, but next week that will change. I do own a number of other C&R firearms, including a Bulgarian Mak, some T33's & M57's (both models I enjoy very much, and am glad to see the surplus 7.62x25 ammo back on our shores), a number of Mosin-Nagants shoulder cannons, and some Commie Bloc pistols not yet C&R, including a couple P-63's, and some CZ-82's (great pistols, and I use a CZ-82 as a primary carry, though a Glock 21SF is my bedside gun).
Cheers, y'all,
Tikka
cubsfan

Re: Howdy from a new member

Post by cubsfan »

Welcome. Sounds like you have a very nice (and eerily similar to my very own, what a coincidence) collection. Now go get your P-64.
pjmather

Post by pjmather »

Howdy back - where are you in Texas? - I am west of Houston. I don't yet own a P-64 either, but did get my C&R license earlier this in order to purchase a Mosin Nagant, and it would be wasteful not to utilise the license for other C&R purchases!
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

pjmather wrote:Howdy back - where are you in Texas? - I am west of Houston. I don't yet own a P-64 either, but did get my C&R license earlier this in order to purchase a Mosin Nagant, and it would be wasteful not to utilise the license for other C&R purchases!
For mosins, not sure where in Houston you are, but The Arms Room out in Houston had a rack full of them for $100-$120/ea depending on condition. They had some pretty decent ones.

If you're going to order a mosin, I'd suggest getting one from aimsurplus. Two of mine are from there, were only $80/ea, and came in exceptionally good condition. The bores are somewhat shiny (rare in a mosin), and the wood looks almost new.
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Tikka wrote:Howdy,
Just introducing myself and saying howdy from Texas. After avidly reading past posts for a few days, I decided I needed to join -- don't own a P-64 yet, but next week that will change. I do own a number of other C&R firearms, including a Bulgarian Mak, some T33's & M57's (both models I enjoy very much, and am glad to see the surplus 7.62x25 ammo back on our shores), a number of Mosin-Nagants shoulder cannons, and some Commie Bloc pistols not yet C&R, including a couple P-63's, and some CZ-82's (great pistols, and I use a CZ-82 as a primary carry, though a Glock 21SF is my bedside gun).
Cheers, y'all,
Tikka
Welcome. Nice collection. In addition to a p-64, you also need a p-83. SOG has them for $195/ea. They look and feel like a weird sheetmetal version of a Mak, and shoot like a Mak. Definitely the most unique pistol of the 9x18 family.

Why carry the CZ but use a Glock for home defense? The CZ grip really isn't thinner than the Glock grip for carry. I'd personally carry an '82 over a glock simply because I'm pretty good with an '82, but only mediocre with a glock.
pjmather

Post by pjmather »

@ Legally Armed - thanks for the reply. I didn't make myself clear, I already bought a M-N (from Classic Arms $75 - very pleased with it) . . . am considering a P-64. Want something cheap and cheerful, small enough to just slip into my pocket for when I am not wearing a belt and carrying xd(m) .40. [or just to leave in the vehicle(s)]
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

pjmather wrote:@ Legally Armed - thanks for the reply. I didn't make myself clear, I already bought a M-N (from Classic Arms $75 - very pleased with it) . . . am considering a P-64. Want something cheap and cheerful, small enough to just slip into my pocket for when I am not wearing a belt and carrying xd(m) .40. [or just to leave in the vehicle(s)]
doh. guess i misunderstood. sorry about that :D

p-64 will fit the bill for what you want. it is the smallest of the 9x18 guns by a good bit.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Howdy and welcome from the shores of the mighty roaring Guadalupe River...well maybe flowing....no....slightly trickling....no.....

Howdy and welcome from the shores of the bone dry Guadalupe River outside of Boerne, Texas.

So dry I had to spray the catfish with flea and tick killer.

Actually we got 1 1/2" of rain in the last 24 hours with (pray here) more on the way!
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

The Only Sarge:
Howdy and welcome from the shores of the bone dry Guadalupe River outside of Boerne, Texas.

Tikka:
So tubin' on Guadalupe is not so much fun as it was a year ago....
The Blanco River is dry also, down to the hot and dry limestone bed.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

You can wrap a tube around your waste and go for a walk. The Guadalupe runs through my land. I havent been down there since we had this rain the past 24 hours......probably a nice mudhole...hogs will love it :)
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

My first P-64 arrived today, a 1976 the BBT brought to me from AIM -- my first purchase after renewing my C&R back in May. I am pleased with how it feels, fits, and works, and I am pleased enough with it so far that I expect to buy a couple more, as I enjoy doing with C&R firearms, to have extras around....
Haven't shot it yet, but will do so this weekend and report back to y'all, and I'll see if I can post pictures. Yup, really like this second 11-in-an-oval firearm (my first was a Tokarev).
Cheers,
Tikka.
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

I've shot a box plus through my 1976 P-64 and will shoot again this weekend. Functions flawlessly. I am more than ever pleased with my purchase.
The kick isn't bad, the double action trigger is tough but I step up to the line, load, rack the slide, and don't worry about the DA. Best of all: the fun was great, very satisfying to shoot. I'm 5' 10" and not a powerhouse, but the recoil only made me feel like after a mild workout. (What hurts to shoot is my AMT Backup .45 caliber.) The accuracy is excellent, as well.
A nice surprise that could have been an unpleasant surprise is that my natural grip on the pistol is out of the way of the slide, unlike my Bulgarian Makarov. With the Mak, I sometimes get bit.
Most pistols feel okay in my hands, but three feel just right: CZ-82, M57, and now the P-64. Now I want another one....
Cheers, y'all.
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

Howdy,
Received my second P-64 from Classicfirearms last week. I'm sure none of you are like this, but I enjoy owning multiples of my favorite pistols, especially when they are reasonably-priced pistols like these. I can see buying a third in the spring.
Range report and photos to follow, but for now this new-to-me P-64 is a 1972 with more external wear than my 1976, which in a way is all right, because except for muzzle wear my first one has too nice and satiny a finish for daily carry. I feel better about carrying this slightly more worn '72 than the nearly-pristine '76. I like having the two different hammers, too, though the triangular one works better for me. Not that I ever use the hammer much. Rack the slide and go.
These pistols feel nice in the hand, snug but not too tight between trigger guard and magazine, and I can hit the target fairly often....
My other favorites that I own more than one of are my CZ-82's and Yugo Tokarevs. The ambidextrous aspect of the CZ-82 is nice, I'm left-handed, and the extra round in the Yugo makes all the difference to the grip. My Romanian and a Polish Tokarev are just a tad too short.
Cheers, yall!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like somebody has the P64 fever :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary