Made a parts gun this weekend...

Info, pictures, advice...
tiber1

Made a parts gun this weekend...

Post by tiber1 »

Was using Silver Bear HP ammo, fired 5 rounds and heard a light pop, did a quick look, but didn't see anything in the way and fired the last round. Slide would NOT reset back, spent a good 20 minutes messing around with it trying to figure out what got jammed. Was the barrel bulging into the frame, not a huge amount, but enough that the slide is stuck on and I may have to cut the barrel off to get to the spare parts. When you look down into the barrel with a light, you can see a nice mushroom print where the bulge is. Learned my lesson about not roding the barrel when ever their is a light round detonation... Couldn't find the shells to see how they looked, they'd flown into a blackberry nightmare of a bush.
PA-Joe

Re: Made a parts gun this weekend...

Post by PA-Joe »

Is the slide still stuck? There is a way of drilling out the barrel so that you can save the slide. If the budge is not too bad you may be able to lightly hammer the slide back so that you can remove it.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Sounds like your slide is stuck in the open position? I'd say cutting the barrel is going to be about your easiest way of getting it apart. If you're looking to sell parts, fvdberge is going to be looking for a firing pin. His is broken.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4177

Not sure if you'd be able to acquire a barrel or not if you planned on trying to fix it back up.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

tiber1 wrote:Was using Silver Bear HP ammo, fired 5 rounds and heard a light pop, did a quick look, but didn't see anything in the way and fired the last round. Slide would NOT reset back, spent a good 20 minutes messing around with it trying to figure out what got jammed. Was the barrel bulging into the frame, not a huge amount, but enough that the slide is stuck on and I may have to cut the barrel off to get to the spare parts. When you look down into the barrel with a light, you can see a nice mushroom print where the bulge is. Learned my lesson about not roding the barrel when ever their is a light round detonation... Couldn't find the shells to see how they looked, they'd flown into a blackberry nightmare of a bush.
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

PA-Joe wrote:Is the slide still stuck? There is a way of drilling out the barrel so that you can save the slide. If the budge is not too bad you may be able to lightly hammer the slide back so that you can remove it.
Little hammer work got the slide off. Don't think replacing the barrel is a ideal solution. Will probably just replace it and keep the old one as parts.
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

In any such incident, the important thing is that no one was hurt. :)
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

tiber1 PM sent.
GR