Trigger won't reset?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Kabuli

Trigger won't reset?

Post by Kabuli »

I just picked up this P64 yesterday and decided to take it down for a cleaning. Disassembled and accidently dropped the hammer by pulling the trigger. I reset it manually in order to reassemble after I was finished and noticed now the trigger doesn't reset. Took it apart using the manual here, which was very helpful, but BIG mistake. Never taking this thing down again. I just got the trigger pin back in and will update when I get it all back together. But, any ideas, does dropping the hammer without the slide throw something or damage a mechanism?
stonecutter2

Re: Trigger won't reset?

Post by stonecutter2 »

I would suspect a reassembly problem before damage, doing what you described.

Dropping the hammer on any gun when stripped isn't good practice, but I have a suspicion that it wouldn't cause *that* much damage.
Sand_Man_56

Post by Sand_Man_56 »

What parts did you remove from the pistol? Does the trigger not return when pressed, or does the trigger not engage the hammer? We will get you fixed up!
MPs Lead the Way
doktooth

Post by doktooth »

My problem is slightly different.Occasionally when firing SA the trigger moves freely (does not engage). After pulling the trigger a second time the trigger engages and fires normally. This is not a frequent event but still aggravating none the less. Any suggestions? Only Mods I have made Are 18# hammer spring and heavier recoil spring(22#). thanks for any help.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Watched a youtube video the other evening. The feller on there said he accidently pulled the trigger when it was disassembled. He said it goofed up his trigger spring up inside the frame. He said after he got the spring reset correctly, it works fine. You may want to make sure you got that spring in place correctly.

Your disconnector may be giving you fits. Examine it good and make sure the safety isn't somehow catching it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Hinermad

Post by Hinermad »

juniustaylor wrote:Watched a youtube video the other evening. The feller on there said he accidently pulled the trigger when it was disassembled. He said it goofed up his trigger spring up inside the frame. He said after he got the spring reset correctly, it works fine.
I did the same thing last week. The long post on the trigger bar is supposed to engage the upper arm of the trigger spring when the short post is inserted in the top of the trigger itself. (See starting at p. 51 in the assembly manual.)

The manual shows how to bend the spring arm down from the left side while you insert the trigger bar from the right if the slide stop lever hasn't been installed yet. On mine I hadn't removed the lever but I was able to slip a small knife blade under it, use a small screwdriver to push the spring arm down under the tip of the knife blade from the right side, then insert the trigger bar and remove the knife. The spring arm popped into place, lifting the back end of the trigger bar against the hammer mechanism.

Dave
sonictek

Post by sonictek »

Hinermad - thanks for link to the assembly manual. Don't mean to bump an older thread but I plead guilty of also playing with my field stripped P-64 and managed to detach the trigger spring from the trigger bar. While I had the thing apart, thought I'd practice a bit and took the trigger off and and the slide holder open thingy to do the repair and reassembly as recommended in this tome of P-64 goodness (Q-tip tip for the trigger worked great). Happy to say that all is well and my EDC is back to working order, even after a heart in throat moment when the one slide stop spring tried to fly into parts unknown in my dining room. I should add that after several attempts to line up bar and spring, I finally noticed that there was a groove in the bar - "DING! Light goes on above head" - much easier after that!

Mike in CT