Just recieved my P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
45fanatic

Just recieved my P-64

Post by 45fanatic »

Pistol looks good,very clean overall, single action requires 2 hands (I will change spring /seen the posts) The safety/decocker is very tight, difficult to operate - hopefully a little use will take care of some things. I have a PPKS (380) and the p 64 is quite similar,hope it shoots as well. I have not found 9x18 ammo here (Ft Lauderdale FL) so I have ordered a few boxes on-line. I will post once I get to the range. Anyone have problem with safety? I am eager to get this operational asap; Phil
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just recieved my P-64

Post by dfunk »

As with most guns, there is a break-in period. The more the safety gets used, the easier it will be to operate. I think you mean that the doulble action requires two hands; not the single action. If your single action is that heavy, it's the first I've ever heard of this and you may need to completely tear it down and de-cosmoline all that stuff. (you should break it down and clean it before shooting regardless). Hope you like it...I know you will.
b52stan

Just recieved my P-64

Post by b52stan »

One of my safetys was the same. Just worked it back and forth a bunch after a good cleaning, and it's been great ever since. Some here have torn it down to remedy burrs, etc., and old posts here detail the procedure, if you need it.
You're gonna love the accuracy and reliability of this little gem, and will be really surprised at how refreshingly "normal" it is with the 16# spring.
Stan
Last edited by b52stan on July 1st, 2006, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
45fanatic

Just recieved my P-64

Post by 45fanatic »

Yes, the DOUBLE ACTION is very stiff, single ok, I worked the safety a bunch & it is now fairly easy, cant wait to get my ammo & go to the range; Phil
amd6547

Just recieved my P-64

Post by amd6547 »

Make sure you put a couple drops of break-free or FP-10 on the safety barrel and work it a few time. Also lube the corresponding piece on the frame that actuates the hammer drop. Don't make a habit of using the hammer drop and allowing the hammer to snap. Work the hammer drop with your right thumb and lower the hammer with your left thumb.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just recieved my P-64

Post by abwehr »

phil,

Yea, "steve98664" has the answer if you feel comfortable in removing the safety lever. Once removed, clean the parts and area in the slide and lubricate well. I used a combination of some grease mixed with oil to give the grease a lighter viscosity. This has worked well for me and the safety lever moves easy and stay where you put it.

One of the problems with the safety was during assembly, the little spring can get "kinked" easy, and this make the safety movement difficult unless corrected. Keep us posted on what happens.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just recieved my P-64

Post by himmel »

I was pretty fortunate--all i had to do was lube and work the safety and it loosened up just fine :) Mine shot low and to the left too the other day (got to take it out and shoot it on the 4th!) but not so much that I missed the target, the head of a silhouette at about 10 yards--I was aiming about the eye level and it hit about the mouth--Anyone else have a similar experience? Probably just me, not the pistol...
gunut

Just recieved my P-64

Post by gunut »

My saftey loosened up, but it is still a little tight. At least it does not drop like two of my friends did. My 1977 shoots right where it is pointed. Well enough to make me ask why I like it better then a few high $$$ I have shot. Have not tried 1973 yet. Double action does get better with use/ cleaning, but have a 16# spring ordered. P-64 is the most bang for the buck. It was a real suprise the first time I tried it out.
krasmussen

Just recieved my P-64

Post by krasmussen »

Phil,

However, when I tried heavier loads later on like silver bear or just RAM FMJ, my safety would fall.
Does this put the safty on when "the safty falls"?