P-64 safety/trigger operation

Info, pictures, advice...
joel6180

P-64 safety/trigger operation

Post by joel6180 »

I just got a P-64, and it seems to be in unfired condition. My thumb is blistered from working the safety lever to where it would go through the entire range. First: With the safety engaged, is the trigger supposed to be able to move freely? Second: with the safety lever 1/2 way between fire and safe, the trigger moves freely, but the hammer stays cocked. Is this a glitch, or are there 3 positions, and is this a safe way to carry chambered, cocked and locked? Something tells me its not supposed to be this way. This is a 1977 model. Thanks, and forgive me for asking such a simple question, but I want to be safe. Joel
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: P-64 safety/trigger operation

Post by blinddog »

There are only 2 settings on a p-64's safety. On and off. With the safety on the trigger should move fully and the hammer should be down. There is a decocker on the p-64 so when you put it on safety with the gun in the cocked position it will drop the hammer safely. The safety may be a little stiff at first if the gun has not been used much, but it should'nt wear blisters on your thumb. There is a place on the forum index that gives you info on the parts and I think it will give you info on how the pistole works. Its a very simple little firearm, I think you will love it.
joel6180

Post by joel6180 »

Thank you. I already love it, and I appreciate your answer. Joel
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

No problem, and welcome to the forum. You will find a bunch of really nice people here.