CZ-82 mag release sticking

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
daytonaknight

CZ-82 mag release sticking

Post by daytonaknight »

The mag release on my CZ82 feels like it is full of sand and is sticking badly. Sometimes I have to push on the release with the base of a spare magazine to get it to release.

I have searched the web and found similar problems that were solved by filing off a ridge that wears into the release button but this did not help. I ordered all components of the mag release from CZ-USA and replaced them. I even tried polishing the holes in the trigger guard and lubing the release with lithium grease. It still feels like it is full of sand and is difficult to press - with either of my two mags - even with no magazine in the gun so I don't think it is a magazine problem.

Any suggestions?
BorisThespider

Re: CZ-82 mag release sticking

Post by BorisThespider »

I'm having a problem with my magazine release on the left side - the one a right-handed person would use. It just doesn't want to work. The other side works pretty well though. Not sure if I should call Widener's (who I got it from), or just try to figure it out. I do have to ask the obvious question, though: Have you tried using the mag release from both sides?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm right handed but end up using the button on the right side. I can release it with my index (trigger) finger way easier than trying to wrap my thumb around the grip.

This website goes detailed into stripping the CZ-82 down.
http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz-82 ... embly.html

Looks like the mag catch button can be removed with the trigger guard which requires no real disassembly other than a pin. Sounds like what daytonaknight did. Sorry to hear his is also gritty and not smooth. I can't figure what would cause that other than if something just isn't installed right but there's only 4 or 5 parts to the mag catch system. ???
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

It was the same on both sides. It usually worked but just felt really rough and movement was jerky like it was rubbing over ridges or something. A couple of times, it stuck solid and wouldn't move either way.

I got a new (used) trigger guard from Buymilsurp.com and put the original mag release parts into it. The grittiness is gone now. It's not smooth as my XD but it is a MAJOR improvement and it doesn't stick any more.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The '82s have a bit of a "tough" spring in the mag release. Must have been a defect in your original trigger guard. Maybe the hole was out of round or had some burrs. I read that you said you tried polishing the holes in the trigger guard and using grease. Not sure why polishing wouldn't have helped.

If you had taken the old trigger guard and used ONLY the thumb button part of the release with no other components and slipped it into the hole, would there be any resistance or catching? That would surely point then to the trigger guard being crappy in some way. Glad to hear that you have it working decent now.

As for boris, you should contact Wideners and see what they'll do about the gritty trigger. You may see if they'd offer to send you some replacement parts to try and fix it yourself or take it somewhere. They ought to do function checks before selling these pistols (or any mil-surp pistol). They would have known that wasn't right. Your last option is just go with it, and use the right button and push it with your trigger finger. I like using mine that way.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

I was thinking the button was dragging too. That's where I did the polishing. Looking closely now under a bright light, the hole for the thumb button looks pretty good and the spare thumb button I have does not drag in the hole.

However, the hole where the other parts fit has pretty deep machine marks and a wear pattern indicating the parts were rubbing pretty firmly across the machine marks. I think that's where the problem was.
BorisThespider

Post by BorisThespider »

Thanks for the tips juniustaylor. I have read through those instructions before, but I guess I didn't realize the mag release was such a simple part to get to.

I'm still awaiting a reply from Widener's. I've been waiting for a day or two now, which is worrisome. I'm never a fan when customer service is A+ before the sale, but falls off afterward. Suppose I should call. Just not sure how "entitled" I should act, as this seems to be a common problem with these, and I'm not sure what action I really want them to take.