CZ-82 & CZ-83 magazine floor plates

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
toivo

CZ-82 & CZ-83 magazine floor plates

Post by toivo »

I have two CZ-82s, and I have about a half-dozen mags for them, some with the stamped floor plate and some with the milled floor plate. I just bought one of the milsurp CZ-83s from J&G. It came with one magazine with stamped floorplate. I couldn't get that magazine to seat without smacking it REALLY hard. Just pushing it in doesn't work, no matter how hard I push.

I started playing around with all my mags and I made this discovery: they all work in my 82s, but only the milled-floor-plate ones seat easily in the 83. They click right in without being forced. It looks to me like this is because the milled floor plates are flat, whereas the stamped ones are bent up at the front. The front part seems to be contacting the grip frame before the mag is fully seated. When I slam them in there, the front of the floor plate actually flexes, meaning that it's under tension while the magazine in place. That can't be good, right? They don't do this in the 82: they click right into place with room to spare.

Any insight on this, anybody? I thought these magazines were supposed to be fully interchangeable.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: CZ-82 & CZ-83 magazine floor plates

Post by normsutton »

toivo
don't own a CZ-83, I do know that all CZ -83 mag's will fit a CZ-82,

may be like all original mags for the Browning HP will fit the FEG HP , but the FEG HP won't FIT the Browning HP

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: CZ-82 & CZ-83 magazine floor plates

Post by juniustaylor »

When you push the stamped mag into the CZ83, give it a bit of a wiggle at the floor plate and see if it catches then. The stamped one I have didn't fit right in my CZ-82 without being "slammed" in. However, I took a small jeweler's file and worked on the magazine catch port on the magazine. Smoothed out some machine burrs. It now goes in no matter how fast or slow I put the magazine in. It amounted to the mag catch piece just couldn't get in the square slot because of the burrs unless I wiggled the mag while it was up in place. May or may not work but it's worth looking into. The strange part is that it fits the CZ82 just fine. The two pistols are supposed to be manufactured pretty much identical and use most all of the same parts.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF