New 1911

Use this section for all other firearms
trueimpact

Re: New 1911

Post by trueimpact »

Nice collection Papabear! The 1911 is my 1st love and I own a RIA Tactical in satin nickel as well as a brand new Colt Defender. I have owned several Star pd pistols and found them to be solid little pistols.

Again,nice collection,thanks for sharing the photos.
mike1050
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by mike1050 »

I'll second that for the PT-145. I wouldn't trade mine for anything! It has been very reliable, and fun to shoot.
Attachments
2011-01-21_19-46-33_790.jpg
aj84

Post by aj84 »

Papa

"in the past I had to use a handgun in a home defense situation years ago and even though I was exonerated from any wrong doing at a pretty high cost to me"

Wow that is so incredible/scary don't really know what to say, other than. I'm sure glad you are ok, !!! That is a very personal story, thanks for sharing.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

aj84,

The only reason I mentioned the home invasion situation in this thread was to point out the other side of owning a gun, the responsibility of owning it if you use it against another person. No doubt I would do it again if I "had" to, but the "high cost" I mentioned was not just the monetary expense but the personal expense as well to not only myself but my family's.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: New 1911 [range report added]

Post by papabear »

Well the rain let up early Fri afternoon and I made the 25 minute trip to the range, it started again before I got there, at the range it finally quit, but the wind was still brisk. The wind blew and the lead flew and I shot up a box or two. I gotta tell you the Kimber was "SWEET" and its the first 1911 without the curved MSH that I've shot that the bottom of the grip frame didn't dig into the heel of my shooting hand, so I have to decide if I want to change out the MSH or not. Anyway got in a couple mags for practice using the Kimber 7 rd and 8 rd mg that came with it.

Using CCI Blazer 230gr FMJ

Using my reloads, 230gr copper plated FMJ with 6.2gr Unique, I was really happy with my reloads, everything fed great and the target speaks for itself, going to tweak the powder to see if I can improve it, but the Unique @ 6.2 is not bad for me. First four rds were again low and to the left but what a tight group, then I did something different I shot only using one hand and the last three rds pretty much punched three bulls .. WOW I might have found my problem, I tried two more mags and shot at spent 12ga shells at 7 yds and was either hitting them or really close; next trip to the range I'll see it the one hand hold still gives me the same results, if so, I'll give up using a two hand grip.

Then I shot my Marlin 22mag, I was really impressed how accurate it was for a older model that hadn't been treated all that good. I only used a bench w/o a rest, POA again at 6 o'clock, I'm still a tad low and to the left, oh well all in all not bad for a 67 year old w/bifocals on a windy and damp day, I'll take it.