Wil you still carry Safty off with one in the chamber?

Info, pictures, advice...

Will you still cary safety off with one in the chamber?

Yes I will still carry with one in the chamber and safety off
49%
I will still carry my p64 with one in the chamber but will use my safety
41%
I will no longer carry with one in the chamber
3%
I will no longer carry my p64 for SD
7%

Total votes: 61

halljt3

Wil you still carry Safty off with one in the chamber?

Post by halljt3 »

Hey guys sorry it's been awhile....

I was very shocked to come back and see that there has been a AD that had resulted in a injury.

Let me start off by saying, I'm very sorry this happened to you and you will be in my prayers. I truly hope this poll doesn't come off as being insensitive.

I wondering if anyone has changed their mind on how they will now carry their p64. I figured a poll would be the best way of acquiring that information.

Again I would like to express my compassion to this situation and give my best to Tinkerer.
GrailKnight

Re: Wil you still carry Safty off with one in the chamber?

Post by GrailKnight »

I always carry any pistol with a round in the chamber safety on.
A little bit of practice and that safety comes off as I draw the firearm.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

S&W 340PD .357 and Cobra Patriot 45ACP, no safety's available.
There are no do overs on an accidental discharge, you get to live with the results of your actions and if your concerned that you may make a deadly mistake your not practicing properly or enough.
GR
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

My common CC pieces are Kel Tec pistols, the P11, PF9, and P32. None have a safety "switch."

However I also sometimes CC a CZ52 "cocked and locked" because it is single action. I've also CCed my PA63 and my IJ70-18AH (hi cap makarov) and both of those were chamber loaded, safety on.

The decision needs to revolve around the firearm itself and then person carrying needs to practice the presentation and manual of arms for that piece.

When my LGS finally manages to order my P64 (grumble grumble), if I decide to CC it, I will CC with a round chambered, safety on.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with gunneyrabbit

papa
darrell

Post by darrell »

If you practiced drawing while taking off the safety, I think that having the safety on would not significantly affect your speed in drawing and aiming the gun. I do believe if you have the safety on, you need to practice drawing and taking off the safety. Hopefully you will never need to draw and fire but one never knows. If you knew when you would need your gun, you would probably try to avoid that situation.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

With my SIG DA/SA handguns, I carry one in the chamber with no safety on. Most large bore SIG's don't have a safety. DAO guns have a round in the chamber, no safety is needed.

With SAO handguns, a round in the chamber and safety is on.

As always, YMMV.
P-64Dave

Post by P-64Dave »

Difference between the now old P-64 and a new Sig (I own one of each) is that the Sig has a firing pin lock, consisting of a spring loaded stop pin, same as a Series 80 Colt 1911, Kimber 1911, Glock, and so on....this is why one can drop one of those on concrete, cocked, and it will not AD even if the hammer strikes the ground.

Now, Mr. Murphy could rear his ugly head and it's better not to absolutely trust technology. My P-64's safety is extremely stiff, far worse than any PPK I've ever owned, so sweeping it off as part of the draw stroke with such a short butt weapon in a hurry might be a tad tricky.
gloob

Post by gloob »

I've known from the get go that the P64 lacks a passive FP safety, but has a firing pin safety as part of the manual safety. For that reason, I have always carried mine chambered, safety on.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Just don't get confused, the P-64's safety has to be swept upward to disengage, other maks use a downward sweep.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

MakAttack wrote:Just don't get confused, the P-64's safety has to be swept upward to disengage, other maks use a downward sweep.
IMS, the FEG pistols are the same as the P64: the safety lever is UP for "Fire" and DOWN for "Safe."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

halljt3 wrote:Hey guys sorry it's been awhile....
I was very shocked to come back and see that there has been a AD that had resulted in a injury.
Any idea on how a Makarov will act in the same situation?
Makarov-

Post by Makarov- »

I always carry my autos, Makarov Tokarev or otherwise with no round chambered.
Repeal mandatory health insurance purchase language in the health care bill. Fines/jail are for criminal or civil misconduct. Insurance isn't a tax. By forcing this you betray public trust, ignore your constitution oaths, & are party to extortion.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Makarov- wrote:I always carry my autos, Makarov Tokarev or otherwise with no round chambered.

A Tokarev doesn't even have a proper safety, so no round in the chamber is a no-brainer. I'm curious about how good the Makarov safety is.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

torpeau wrote:
Makarov- wrote:I'm curious about how good the Makarov safety is.
It's very good. The safety is nothing but a big cam which locks out the trigger, drops the hammer ("decocker"), and creates a physical obstruction for the hammer/firing-pin interface ("hammer block").

The firing-pin is a light-weight, free floating (not spring loaded) pin. It is too light to torch off a primer even from an absurd height drop test.

The stock Makarov PM design is very safe to carry with a round in the chamber, safety on. It is impossible to carry it in classic "Condition one" because that it round in the chamber, safety on, hammer COCKED. It's more like Condition 1.5 or something.

The DA trigger pull is heavy but far better than the stock P64.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk