Wolf small pistol primers?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
surfzombie

Wolf small pistol primers?

Post by surfzombie »

Any one here ever use any of the Wolf small pistol primers? Are they any good or crap? What's your thoughts?
Autosurgeon

Re: Wolf small pistol primers?

Post by Autosurgeon »

I have used several thousand of them and they always worked for me.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Plus one with Autosurgeon.
GR

Plus one with Autosurgeon, I've had more problems with certain US made primers.
GR
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I have used literally thousands with no issues at all.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Same here - they work great and are generally pretty inexpensive.

I understand that the Tula-branded primers are from the same production line as the Wolf primers. Has anyone else heard this?

Dwight
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Dwight I also have heard that but cannot confirm nor deny....I use a boatload of the wolf primers....
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Normsutton believes there can be problems with wolf primers that may threaten your handguns. There was a time that dollars were an issue and I bought what I could afford with out catastrophic results to any of my pistoles. Recently some US made primers are just as inexpensive and as available as wolf primers and I have been purchasing them instead. I have great faith in Norms opinion on anything related to guns, he is a finished gun smith and has only given us straight dope in the past. CCI primers are available for just a few dollars more per 5000 and I have fewer problems with them than with other primers made in the US.
GR
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Please share "the problems"....
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Mostly there were reports that they were weak and that the firing pin could punch through the primer. That means hot gasses going back into the bolt face, erroding the firing pin. I suppose some could make it into the shooters face. The firing pin would then need replaced and such. So, those reports caused a lot of reloaders to not use their primers and a lot of shooters to not buy Wolf brand ammo. I believe the Gold Line was okay (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, Prvi Partizan is in line with Wolf, but I've not heard of Prvi having any problems. I think Prvi makes the Wolf Gold Line.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

Thanks....I hit 'em with firing pins from Browning, S&W, Glock, CZ, Radom, Saiga, Remington etc with never ever any of those issues. For a few years now.

I guess with this interweb thing just about any brand of anything will have it's real or unreal "issues" huh?

I believe Wolf Primers are as good as any of the others. As with most reloading ....use/do whatever makes you feel good about the finished product.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yeah, most anything can have some form of issue. I had a pierced CCI primer in my Winchester M100 .243. Didn't notice it until I got home that it had a nice hole in it. You'd probably never hear of many problems. However, with the internet you have millions upon millions of folks and their experiences. Some true, some false, and some half-truths. It's just the way it goes with mass-produced items. Everything can't be 100% all of the time. Kind of like on Anchor Man... "Sex Panther, it works 60% of the time every time."
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF