Luger anyone?

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
DoubleTap

Luger anyone?

Post by DoubleTap »

1920 Luger, used by the Berlin police.

I just got it back from the gunsmith today (try finding one who knows how to work on these old beasts!). It was having numerous issues, mostly relating to an inconsistent trigger pull. Sometimes the trigger pull was reasonably good. Other times, it was bad enough to make the double action pull of a stock P-64 feel like a glass rod by comparison. Now it runs along beautifully! :D
wyo-man

Re: Luger anyone?

Post by wyo-man »

How did you find out about the 'smith?
Does he specialize in Lugers?
I don't have one (I have fired one), but was curious.

wyo-man
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

Well, initially I asked a couple of local gunsmiths about Lugers and received guarded responses. These were both younger guys who'd likely never worked on anything that old before. Then I remembered that the owner of one of bigger gun shops near me is reputed to be quite a Luger collector, so I figured they might know of someone. One of his salesmen turned me on to this semi-retired guy who ran a little hole in the wall gun smith business part time. I knew I'd found the right place the moment I walked in, just based upon the look, smell, clutter, and overall 'patina' of the shop. Most of the stuff he was working on was probably older than me.

Anyway, he has my Luger running like a champ now and he only charged me $25 to do it. It'll make a nice little shooter now!
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

"..overall 'patina' of the shop.
Nice phrase. LOL
Thanks for the information.

wyo-man
JAGGUY

Post by JAGGUY »

I have a 1920 commercial in .30 that my grandfather bought new. Probably has had under 2 boxes of shells run through it.
He had pretty small hands and filed the grip panels to fit him better.
The other is an Erma .22 I picked up as a companion for the Luger a few years ago.

The real deal is on the bottom.....