Even more off topic than usual . . .

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Post by kempin »

Ok, this is way off--not even about a pistol. I share this here purely because I think this is a group that appreciates quality milsurp--especially when it is somewhat overlooked.

I recently moved to a new area, and started looking for a place to shoot. I stopped by an area gun club to meet some of the guys and discuss membership. Instead they asked, "got a rifle?" and invited me to shoot with them on the 600 yard known distance range.

Wow! Was that ever cool! I could take up time just talking about that, but I will spare you. I happened to have in my truck a Swiss K-31 (7.5x55 Swiss caliber). It is an unusual rifle that I bought for two reasons: First, it had a really cool straight pull bolt action, and second, it was cheap. Out the door for less than $100 cheap, although the quality seemed quite good.

I have shot it a few times and was generally impressed, but today I fired ten rounds at 600 yards and put them all in the black--most inside the 8 ring. I know I had at least one dead bullseye.

And this is with the standard open sights and eyes that, while not old, are no longer young.

All I can say is, wow! Wow, because it was an awesome experience that I hope to repeat, and wow because of the performance of this low cost surplus rifle. It was a very similar feeling to the one I had after shooting the p-64.

Like the p-64, the price on the K-31 is going up while the supply is going down, so if you shoot rifles and had taken a pass on this one for whatever reason, you might want to reconsider while you can.

Plus, 600 yards. . . that was just awesome!

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
p64

Post by p64 »

Yeah!
That was straight Shooting :)

I get to shoot some pretty cool stuff at our local homemade range. Just some of the stuff is AK's, M-16's, an mp5 and an M14, even got to fire a few bursts from an m60.

Yeah, the guys that are local shooters are a pretty cool bunch. I got my son and 2 Grandsons into shooting but I let them shoot the .45, at least in my opinion the recoil on the p64 is tougher and I think they might have a little difficulty with it being new shooters though I will let my son shoot it next time as he likes it and is considering buying one.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Thanks p64.

A few bursts from an m60--awesome! Love to give that a try some time!

Also love to try a Thompson in 45 acp. I think it would be cool just to HEAR the "Tommy gun" under fire.

I can dream, can't I?

-Kempin
p64

Post by p64 »

I haven't fired that yet but know someone who does have one and a grease gun, just have to hook up times for range time.
Here in PA they are legal as long as you pass the bg check and as I don't own any I think there may be other rules as well, maybe special taxes and required safes, etc.

Personally I was looking at a .50 cal. sniper rifle but want to add more pistols first.
I do want one of the RIA's and I'm pretty sure my wife will get me the Ed Brown that I want for Christmas (She was at Cabella's looking at it and hinted that I'm gonna love what she's getting me already) :)
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

even got to fire a few bursts from an m60.
That brings back memories! I used to be an M-60 machine gun instructor at Ft. Ord, California (back when the world was fresh and hopeful...). I got to fire the qualification course as a demonstration for the trainees. I qualified as an expert on the M-60 over 30 times.

On Friday nights, we'd go out to the night fire course. One of our favorite demos was to fire 1,000 rounds straight through -- one long burst -- without letting off the trigger. Then we'd take the red hot barrel up to the lecturer so he could light his cigarette off of it in front of all the trainees.

Oh, to be young and stupid again...!