Interesting Experience Today!

Info, pictures, advice...
115grfmj

Interesting Experience Today!

Post by 115grfmj »

Drove all the way to my club today thinking I'd Blow off some steam before the holidays Got through one magazine, and four round of the other.....then I got a BLAMMMM! A face full of hot powder and brass pieces, though to my self ...wow that was weird??? Looked down and the pistol was back in battery. Did the sensible thing and removed the mag, and drew the slide to the rear, and in so doing ejected a unfired round from the chamber. Which was totally black BTW, like it had been burned. Then I noticed something funny round was stuck in the bore one inch from the muzzle. :shock: Glad I didn't pull the trigger again!!! I found the ruptured case on the ground...it was blown apart! I'm surprised it had even ejected it was so bad. I still am not quite sure what happened, maybe a sqib load??? Did the usual check to make sure there werent any extra holes in me that shouldn't be there.....nope just some light powder burns a scratches on the fast. Glad I was wearing glasses though. I've been shooting from age ten, I'm 37 now, I ve never had that happen.
Strangest part was zero damage to my p64, I didn't even loose the extractor, and no damage to the barrel. Oh well so much for some me time at the range :roll:
The Ammo was Sellier & Bellot 90gr.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interesting Experience Today!

Post by dfunk »

Sounds like a .380 through a 9x18 to me. Glad you're okay.
kansas

Post by kansas »

dfunk wrote:Sounds like a .380 through a 9x18 to me. Glad you're okay.

I had heard you could 380 these though not willing to try it!

Glad you are ok and without damae to you or the 64!
115grfmj

Post by 115grfmj »

No It definately was not .380 it was s&b 9x18 90gr fmj, came from a new box I bought 6 months ago the case was even head stamped as such. The powder that was all over it looked like extruded powder (small Cylinders) and not like the flake powder you see more in shotgun, and pistol loadings. It was also the color of straw, and not black like any other powder I've ever seen. Now granted my reloading experience is rather weak (I've only reloaded for three other calibers before). I also don't know if this is normal but I had to beat the hell out of the bullet with a mallet and a range rod to get it to leave the bore.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

S& B doesn't make a 90 grn bullet

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and ... ?product=9

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I found something different than Norm - the only 90gr rounds that S&B makes are .380's.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=e ... fc6f926f13

I'd love to see a photo of the headstamp you're using.
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

115grfmj Glad you and the P64 weren't injured. That woulda scared the bejeezus out of me.

Made myself a couple of New Year's resolutions after reading this, 1) buy a better pair of shooting glasses and 2) don't assume a bullet always exits the barrel when my pistol goes bang - haven't had a squib yet but it's always a possibility considereing some of the cheap crap mil surplus ammo I shoot in my guns.

Signing off for 2010. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to everyone! hangfire
115grfmj

Post by 115grfmj »

My apologies Norm was exactly right I was mistaken having looked at the box again it was 95Gr rounds...not 90 grains.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

Glad you and your pistol are OK. Did you have to change your underwear? I probably would have. How did you get the squib out? Did it tap right out or was it difficult?