P64 Jamms

Info, pictures, advice...
noformation

P64 Jamms

Post by noformation »

Hi, I'm new to the p64 and new to the board.

So I bought my 1973 p64 about two months ago and everything went well for about the first month and a half.

About two weeks ago I had it with a loaded magazine, but no round in the chamber, while showing it to an army buddy of mine and for some reason he wanted to see me empty the mag manually by pulling the slide 6 times. Ok, no big deal. So I pull once and it loads a round into the chamber, no problem. Then I pulled the second time and it ejected the first round, but the slide wouldn't close. (This is a little hard to explain, so please let me know if you need clarification). Looking in the chamber I can see that it's loaded a new round, but it seems as if the mag has popped out another round as well. So, round 1 is out of the gun, round two is in the chamber and round 3 is part way out of the mag and obstructing the slide from closing. The mag won't release unless I disassemble the gun, and then it pops out fine and I can remove the round in the chamber with my hands.

Now, I've tried with two mags and two different types of ammo and the same thing happens every time.

After reading that post, I realize it's kind of confusing, so here are a couple pictures, sorry that it's not so clear, I don't have a nice camera:

http://www.royalpeacocklounge.com/images/p641.jpg
http://www.royalpeacocklounge.com/images/p642.jpg
noformation

P64 Jamms

Post by noformation »

Oh, forgot to say thanks for any help
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

P64 Jamms

Post by abwehr »

noformation,

If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like the Extractor did not pull the round out of the chamber and allowed the next round in the magazine to rise.

You stated above that the first round ejected, and "it ejected the first round, but the slide wouldn't close." Then you stated "Looking in the chamber I can see that it's loaded a new round, but it seems as if the mag has popped out another round as well."

OK, the second round chambered and the Third pull did not eject and the next round rode, but could not chamber, is this corrrect?

Here is my first thought..... did you clean the ejector well with a cleaner similar to brake cleaner? the oil that comes on the pistol is preservative only and does not lubricate. Also, there could be a little dirt or grit in the Extractor. maybe some of the others guys have a good theory of the problem.
callisto

P64 Jamms

Post by callisto »

Was the saftey off or on? With the P-64 hand cycling with the safty on can cause the slide to not go completely into battery if not allowed to simply fly forward under spring pressure. I admit this is a long-shot (clever gun pun) but anything is possible in the world of firearms.
Last edited by callisto on June 7th, 2006, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kempin

P64 Jamms

Post by kempin »

This may be stating the obvious, but if so it is also a happy ending . . .

If you said it cycles fine when you shoot it, then there is no problem.

If it does not cycle manually, it may be because you need to pull it ALL THE WAY back, and then LET IT SNAP back to battery. If you only pull it back partially or ease it back somewhat, it might not have enough "oomph" to overcome the de-cocking safety.

Mine cycle fine manually, but if for some reason your p-64 doesn't cycle manually and does cycle under fire . . .

Don't worry about it.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
darrell

P64 Jamms

Post by darrell »

I had the same problem with mine last week. I lubricated my slide and also made sure that I released the slide after pulling it all way back. I found that if the round did not eject right way, that it is easier to pop out the magazine and then cycle the slide to eject the round.The manual that comes with the pistol says to pull the slide back and then release it. After I lubricated the slide it worked fine during shooting.
noformation

P64 Jamms

Post by noformation »

Wow, this is actually kind of embarrasing, but the last reply by kempin was the correct answer. My other gun is a Taurus pt145 and it's a lot easier to cock and fire, so I guess I just stopped putting the necessary force into the p64. Thanks to everyone for their input.

So now that I know that it works fine, I'm going to put it up for sale on the board (I've got two), it's a 1973 and it's supposedly unissued, what do you think is a fair asking price? I paid a lot more than I should have for it, as it was my first venture into an older weapon and I didn't really know what I was doing ($300!).

Sebastian
kempin

P64 Jamms

Post by kempin »

Sebastian,

I don't know what to tell you as far as price--in the end any pistol is worth what you can get someone to pay you for it--but I wouldn't feel too bad about it. It is still a good quality pistol for the money. If you are not pressed to sell it right now, Abwehr is convinced (and I agree) that the price will likely go up quite a bit over the next year.

I just bought a second, though, and am out of the market for a while.

GBASS,

-Kempin
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

P64 Jamms

Post by himmel »

I'm hardly an expert, but I would agree with the last two posters--If you can, hold onto it for awhile, the price has gone up on these pistols over a period of just a couple of weeks here...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

P64 Jamms

Post by dfunk »

Okay, here's my .02 ...

If your not pressed for the cash right now, by all means hold onto it. These pistols ARE rising as we speak. You could attribute it to many different variables, but, since it's inception, this board has made believers out of quite a few P-64 ers. You could turn it over for around $250 this time next year or so. (prediction)

If you must have the money now, I would keep in mind that yours has been shot and unissued ones are available for $139 w/2 mags from SOG. (I say keep it)
kempin

P64 Jamms

Post by kempin »

Minor correction:

SOG is still selling them for $139 (plus shipping & fees, of course), but with only ONE mag at the moment.

Mine just came in a few days ago. (I rooted around in the box for a good minute before I read the fine print in the ad.)

Good thing my first one came with three . . .

-Kempin