Cobra Patriot 45

Use this section for all other firearms
ecw7907

Re: Cobra Patriot 45

Post by ecw7907 »

My Patriot 45 gets the nod on the trigger issue, but I really haven't gone into the Patriot 380. My next experiment may be a ACCU TEK 380 II. I just got a response e-mail from them on warranty repairs and the're is a Accu tek video on "YOUTUBE that looks good, good info.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

ecw7907, thanks for the info., I'll take a look at the ACCU TEK video on youtube, always looking for another good shooter.
G.R.
gardla1

Post by gardla1 »

I found this site/thread while digging around for more information on my most recent firearm purchase.

I've been looking at the Patriot .45 for a couple months now and finally found one for $250 at a gun store where a friend of mine lives. Alas, being the broke sod that I am I put the firearm on layaway until the next paycheck.

I want to thank gunnyrabbit, spudit, and ecw7907 for the invaluable information.

Can anyone recommend a good conceal holster for this little beastie? I'm waiting on my CCW permit to come in and since my other firearms are a MilSpec 1911 and a Hi-Point .40 S&W this will inevitably be my carry piece once I get comfortable and proficient with it. Keep in mind I'm a pretty big guy (6'5", 250lbs) so I will be able to carry it concealed without a whole lot of trouble printing.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine, they are great guns; ideal for home and self defense!
I carry in a heavy coat pocket during the winter months, I find that an inside the waist band is the closest thing to a year around holster.
Please let us know how you progress with the pistol, I'm sure that others will also be interested also.
G.R.
gardla1

Post by gardla1 »

It took a month and a half but I finally picked up my Patriot 45.

My first impressions after tearing it down and cleaning it thoroughly are very positive. Despite being a less expensive firearm mine seems to be very well built. Take down was incredibly easy and once I figured out the trick to reassembly (rotating the take down pin) it is just as simple.

I haven't yet had a chance to take it out to the range, however. That will likely be accomplished this week either today or Wednesday. I've got a box of Winchester Whitebox to feed it, alas that's about all I can find around here right now. Since this is going to be my concealed carry firearm once my permit comes in I will also try and locate some good hollowpoints to test once ammo is a little less scarce in my area.

The only thing I can say I'm not a fan of is the trigger's ribbing. I'm going to put in a call to Cobra today and make sure that it won't void the warranty if I use some sandpaper to smooth it out a touch.

Once I get it out to put some rounds down range I'll come back with a range report for you folks. Thanks again for all the information!
tman11787

Post by tman11787 »

Good luck and we're looking forward to your range report...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

gardla1, I'm looking foreword to your revelations and insights.
G.R.
gardla1

Post by gardla1 »

Range report:

Sorry I didn't get this up sooner. I finally got around to putting 200 rounds down the barrel over 3 different shooting sessions.

My impressions are very positive, most likely since my expectations were realistic going in to this.

Ammunition used: Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ. Once I get some decent self defense ammo I'll do another, brief range report to outline my experiences with that.

Recoil. This gun kicks a good bit. However, it's far from unmanageable for me. Considering the cartridge used and the the weight of the gun I actually expected more of a kick.

Accuracy. After getting myself accustomed to the gun I was able to get all the bullets onto the target, though not necessarily where I wanted them to hit all the time. At 25 I was pulling about 5 rounds on target with 3 fliers. Anything inside 20 yards was pretty dead on accurate and typical engagement distance of 10 yards or less I was able to flash site rather rapidly.

Rapid fire. This is where I lost all my accuracy. Between my inexperience, the kick, and the hefty trigger pull it was hard for me to squeeze off rounds as fast as the gun could fire while staying on target. At almost any distance outside of 10 yards it was at least 50% miss rate.

Trigger pull. There has been a lot of talk about this. Maybe since I grew up firing revolvers this isn't such a big deal for me though I'm still not used to rapid fire with it. I like the long, heavy trigger pull and feel it as being necessary in a firearm with no external safety like this.

Reliability. I had a single fail to feed but it hung up in the magazine. I started giving the magazines a 1911-style whack against my leg before loading them and didn't have a single issue after. IT could have just needed that thwack but it also could have been a very sloppy of loading the mag on my part. I had no other forms of mechanical failure.

Maintenance. This gun is a breeze to disassemble. After a few cycles through the procedure I can have the gun field stripped in less than 30 seconds. Reassembly takes even less time.

Features. Other than reliability to go bang when you squeeze the trigger there are none. The lack of a last round hold open jarred me a couple times as I have gotten lazy about counting my shots. There's little as surprising as pulling a trigger expecting a solid bang and only getting a click. More than once I was worried I had a dud round and waited 30 seconds to eject the round only to find the gun was empty. However, the lack of features is a good thing to me. I didn't buy this as a range toy but as a gun to trust my life to. It's simple, reliable, and chambered in a round I personally like for self-defense. Plus the lack of features means I have to become a better shooter and be more conscious about safety with guns: two things I believe EVERY shooter should never stop working on.

Like I said, I'm very pleased with this firearm. It's a great piece for self defense purposes, exactly what it was designed for. I will shoot it regularly just to improve and maintain proficiency with it but it is not a range piece.

My final score for this gun is a solid A+. It does exactly what it was designed to do and it does it well.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

gardla1, your comments mimicked mine and those of every one else that I know who ownes one. I believe the more you shoot the pistol the more you will appreciate its simplicity of design, function and quality. Because it is one of my carry guns mine goes to the range with me weekly, the trigger is now so smooth that even a neophite shooter would be able to fire it accurately. If you find that you have the time and interest please give us regular reports, this thread has had a regular readership for quite a while and I know that others as well as myself who would be interested in your thoughts and comments.
Gunneyrabbit
gardla1

Post by gardla1 »

I made it out to the range rather briefly to put some more holes in targets. A buddy of mine loaded up some Hornady XTP JHP rounds a little on the hot side for me to test with and keep loaded up for self defense.

Maybe it's the really sharp shoulder of the bullet but I had 10 fail to feeds. Not something I wanted to see happen but I'm glad I found out that my gun doesn't like those bullets.

The higher power rounds had a more solid kick than the Winchester but they were also a bit more accurate. I was able to rapid fire with an average of 3 fliers per magazine.

Considering the FTFs I went ahead and burned through the entire 50 he loaded for me.

One thing I forgot to mention about my original range report were the magazines. I have a 6-round and 7-round. The 7-round magazine would sometimes not fall completely free from just pressing the mag release. A little oil and hte shooting I've done has fixed that so the magazine falls cleanly free every time.

I also did some Mozambique drills with this firearm. Once again, my lack of experience and the stiff trigger made it a little difficult to do at first. After the third or fourth run, though, I was able to keep the shots consistently where I wanted in regular engagement range.

I probably won't be able to hit the range again for a little while tanks to some impending travel but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted as I take the firearm out for more exercise.

Thanks for reading!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Several questions come to mind when I hear that there are failuers to feed with any pistol using reloads, how deep were the bullets seated, was a factory crimp used and how well was the gun cleaned, greased and oiled before use? To date I haven't found a round that the Cobra won't feed properly, but in all honesty I can't remember if I did a high polish to the feed ramp or not and it sounds like it may be necessary if all other areas are not an issue.
Good luck, looking foreword to hearing more.
G.R.
jopair

Post by jopair »

Hi, new to this forum. Glad I found this thread. Research and price lead me to purchase 2 Cobra Patriot .45's for concealed carry (one for backup). I understand the need to practice with this gun. What I really need help with is the ammo; I am not interested in maximizing velocity or accuracy... All I am interested in is reliability in loading, firing, and ejecting. What is the most reliable "off the shelf" ammo for the Cobra Patriot .45? I see that no one has posted to this thread in 2 years, so any response would be helpful.
Westcoastmountainman

Post by Westcoastmountainman »

I just won a patriot 45 off of gunbroker.com. I have spent the past few days reading one post after another, one forum after another. I have come to the conclusion that the reviews have about a 95% positive, 2-3% negative because of the recoil sensitive crowd(not shaming people), 1% where people didnt like the gun in general and 1% where there was a malfunction bad enough to be rid of the gun. All in all, not to bad. I used to own a Jimenez JA 9. Loved it, absolutely loved it. I was forced to sell it, 300 rds, 2 12 rd mags, original box, 1 uncle mikes jacket slot holster for a glock 17(fit the ja9 pretty well) and a uncle mikes ambidextrous holster for 400.00. I had polished the sear, and the feed ramp. It loved the Winchester white box 115 gr JHPs. I was shooting squirrels out of trees with it. I would put an old steel rim out to 25 to 40 yards, range varried day to day. I would lay it flat. I liked the rim due to the instant feed back I would hear while shooting. I could keep 8-10 shots on the rim out of the 12. Sometimes I would be able to keep all twelve rounds on target. So I am excited to experiment with the 45, and see what load my new play toy will like over others.
I live in an apartment complex here in southern Oregon. I have decided I would give the 165 gr Federal Guard Dog a go. Ive seen the videos, and read the BrassFetcher reports on the round. It is just Nasty. From my understanding through all of the reading and watching. It is the same round for the most part as used by the Federal air Marshal's. But for streets/boon docks, I plan on trying the same Winchester white box, hst's, I haven't been impressed by speer gold dots, Hornady xtp's, ftx/ critical duty due to the minimal expansion in any caliber. I am a firm believer that since it is a 45, it needs to be a wide, opened hollow point. The bullets Ive listed in a less than favorable view do not open well in my book. Yes they work but there are better options as well. I am glad the silver tips seem to be a crowd favorite, because that gives be hope as I planed on trying them. I intend to have this gun accompany me in the woods this fall. It is going to replace my H&R 922. I have been hunting more and more in smoke's back yard(bears) While my .22 will make cats and yotes run, a bear can soak the lead. It just gives me some peace of mind. There are also illegal grow operations in a few spots. There is one road where I have not had an issue during deer season but the hair has stood up on the back of my neck. Not long after some one goes by with a What the **** are you doing hear look. They were caught looking into my vehicles a few times. Things got a little tense to say the least. Here are I am with a loaded 7mm mag, and the 22 on my hip(both of which i am good with) things tended to sway in my favor. That being said, I have also been noticing some riff raff around my apartment complex as have my neighbors. My vehicle has to be lock at all times, even for a few minutes. other wise we lose things at an alarming rate. Just yesterday I found a razor blade and a strip of lsd on my front porch. I was very unhappy to say the least. I have 2 toddlers that play on that porch while I bbq. I am really looking forward to this gun.

Any more loads since the last post? any and all information is GREATLY welcomed. Thank you in advance.
WCMM
Westcoastmountainman

Post by Westcoastmountainman »

Also any owb holster suggestions is great too. I am looking for function over aesthetics.