Whats your favorite load for the 44 sp.?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Whats your favorite load for the 44 sp.?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay NORM, I was just revisiting this thread and wonder how often you pull your revolvers apart and clean and regrease them inside and out? I've never taken the side plate off of one of my revolvers and I'm a little intimidated to do so for fear of scratching up the finish around the screws. I shoot my S&W 340PD weekly and clean the barrel and around the frame, cylinder, ejector etc.. I also have a fear of stripping the screw threads when I put the thing back together, I guess I really need to take some gun smithing courses to get my feet wet and to build up my confidence level while learning the basics.
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

I don't own any SW guns , most of my revolvers that I shoot are single action guns ,

then I spray them down with WD-40 to clean them, then wipe them off , and re oil them , if they start the fill gritty I will take them apart and clean them , I don't use \WD-40 in a aerosol can , I use a pump spryer

I don't use any fancy oils
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

In my new Blackhawk 44 spl, I had very good accuracy with a 200 grain lead RNFP from MasterCast over 3.8 grains of Clays. I use CCI large pistol primers. The load is mild, especially for the Blackhawk, but I do like the accuracy. I haven't chronigraphed it yet.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

The Georgia Arms 200 gr Speer yellow dot is pretty good. I picked up 100 rds at the gun show in Tallahassee. They were the only vendors that were reasonable. They do good work. I missed picking up a 3 inch barrel S/S Rossi in .44spl.in excellent shape by about 5 mins. Changed my mind to buy it, went back it was gone.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

rottenrick, I'm curious, what was the asking price for the Rossi?
G.R.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Gunny, too much, he had $350. I told him he was too high. it was in good shape, but it was still a used gun. He countered with $325. Told him Naw see ya'. I had been looking at his booth during my pass throughs (he hadn't sold much). I was going to offer him $275, and maybe go up a littlefrom there, max $300. But, we'll never know it was gone. You would really laugh if you knew what one gebob wanted for a P64. Then the guy that with a straight face mind you, told a guy he dove hunted with a taurus 'Judge' on the wing no less. This customer sucking up every word. After the guy bought one. I asked the vendor how he sleeps at night. LOL!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Latest load for my Rossi double action hammerless 44sp.

Bullet- 185gr. 44sp. Bear Creek Moly coated lead SWC.
Powder- 5.9 gr. Alliant Red Dot powder
Primer- CCI 300 large primer and 350 magnum large primer.
Case- CCB cases.
OAL- 1.49"
Crimp- Lee factory crimp die for the 44sp.

Considering that I'm using moly coayed lead bullets, this load feels very much like a factory defense load. I worked the load up over two shooting sessions starting at 5grs. and increasing 1/10 gr. every three bullets. The final load shows no case or primer deformation and accuracy was good, all bullets staying in the 9/10 area on a standard half sellouet at 55ft.
GR