Mosin Nagant collecting

Use this section for all other firearms
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Mosin Nagant collecting

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'm ashamed to tell you what I paid for mine, it was so beautiful that I could not pass it up. It is still in cosmoline with out a scratch, dent or ding on the wood and the blued metal is beautiful. I've been afraid to take it out and shoot it for fear that it would come back with a nick in the wood or a scuff in the bluing.
I'm curiouse, what did you clean the wood with ?
G.R.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

gunneyrabbit wrote:I'm curiouse, what did you clean the wood with ?
I was under the assumption that folks used mineral spirits to clean the metal and wood both. Are you talking about the cosmoline?

Maybe I didn't look at my Mosin's right, but they don't appear to be blued. It's more of a paint finish to protect from corrosion as it will flake off. It does come off easy with bluing stripper though. I stripped it off my 91/30 when I converted it and chopped the barrel down then cold blued it later. I think I need to bed the composite stock though.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

You might try to bed it with a thin sheet of cork. Cheap and less permanent, I did it with mine.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Holy crap, it is paint! Now what?
Dom, your weapons look great, did you repaint the metal or did you blue them.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 28th, 2010, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks Rick, I'll give the cork a try.

Gunney... shoot it. Ha ha.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Juniustaylor, picked up two box's of ammo today and plan on shooting it this weekend.
G.R.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

juniustaylor wrote:
gunneyrabbit wrote:I'm curiouse, what did you clean the wood with ?
I was under the assumption that folks used mineral spirits to clean the metal and wood both. Are you talking about the cosmoline?

Maybe I didn't look at my Mosin's right, but they don't appear to be blued. It's more of a paint finish to protect from corrosion as it will flake off. It does come off easy with bluing stripper though. I stripped it off my 91/30 when I converted it and chopped the barrel down then cold blued it later. I think I need to bed the composite stock though.
they are blued originally, but in refurb many were painted to touch up spots. as far as bedding, i used JB WELD, the quick set stuff. i also used vegitable oil as a release agent.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks for that info mellisallen.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

The place I got the idea for the cork was a place called 'The Box of Truth' in the C&R section. They have a topic on Mosin's. The reason I use cork is as a diagnostic, it's not a permanet thing. If it fixes the problem fine, then bed it with something long lasting. It might be a useful method for collectors who don't really want to modify anything.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I read about the cork deal on that same website a long time ago. I don't think it will apply to me though because I am using the composite stock. The barrel is free floated. However, the JB Weld method or 2 part epoxy should work well to bed the recoil lug area. I still need to fix my muzzle crown and fix what's messed up on it. My friend did the cutting and recrown but didn't quite get the lathe bit all the way into the bore, so I have a lip around the bore that I need to polish out with a brass bolt / valve grinding compound. I may try that first and then shoot it before I go into bedding.
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

Yes i collect mosins, i've had several variations: M38, M44, T53, 91-30, 1891, 91-59. I think about the only one i havent had is a 91/38 but they are hard to find