Daewoo DR200

Use this section for all other firearms
6x6pinz

Daewoo DR200

Post by 6x6pinz »

Picked up a DR200 the other day and finally had time to take it out. I was surprised when I received it at how dirty the action was. I don't think I could sell a firearm in that condition. After almost an hour of scrubbing it was ready for some range(desert shooting) time. Pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get on target and keep on target, very similar to the AR platform. Several of my friends shot it and we all did well with it. I am hoping to get it out this next week and do some target shooting at the local range. Hopefully the early results will carry over to target shooting. It is one thing to hit half a scuba tank at 100yds and another to keep a tight group on a paper target.
I will get a better picture, this is one from the ad
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Daewoo DR200

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Congratulations on the Daewoo purchase, it is a handsome weapon, never heard a negative report on one.
G.R.
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

nice rifle, not a fan of the grip though
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

The first thing I did was order an original stock (US import variety). I was not a fan of the folding stock either. I tried to like it and even removed the bottom part of the grip. I just could not live with that stock.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I've heard they're good rifles, but have never even held one. Does it handle like a Galil, they look a little a like. Does it take AR magazines?? In my narrow little world it either takes AR or AK mags. Maybe it's time to boarden my horizons a little,though. Glad you got what you wanted.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

Funny thing is they are mostly AK/AR knock offs with a little Galil/FAL thrown in for good measure. Mins shoots like a well refined AK in 223, what I would think m VZ58 would shoot like if it were 223. The Daewoos take standard AR mags. The lower internals resemble AR while the gas system operating rod looks alot like an AK. As soon as dove season calms down a bit I will dig it out and take some pics of it in pieces.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

There are a lot of interesting rifles out there like the Ruger ranch rifle, Saiga, VZ-58, Galil that I'm really leary of buying because of the magazine singularity/availability. The same with the P-83 when it first came on the stage, BEING ABLE TO BUY ONE SPARE MAG. I guess it's fixed now, but still I get the feeling of painting myself into a corner. I feel much safer with the AK/AR, even though I don't have an AR yet. I have two AK's, two SKS's so I'm heavily invested in the 7.62x39 round. I'm trying to decide between an AR/AK74. I'm looking for an AR that's not fancy, but would have a few limited GOODIES. Maybe even a Kel-tec CA. I don't care if it's pretty as long as it's well made. Same with the AK-74. I'm not a merc wanna'be. It just seems like when I'm about to make a major investment, a car get's sideswiped and the fridge craps out (both happened last week). It's real hard to justify major weapon/ammo purchases until next month. Such is life, some people have a lot greater challenges.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

You listed quite a few of my favorites in my collection. I still have not collected a Galil but I still have time. I recently stepped into the AK74 world which prompted me to buy a 5.45 upper for one of my AR's. My limited experience with the AR in 7.62x39 has not been favorable, that is a shame. While I really enjoy the AK (prefer its simple platform), the AR has its appeal with the interchangeable parts and many, many accessories. I have finally found some good sources for factory Ruger Mini 30 20 round mags, the proprietary mags had been a pain to find. The 7.62 x 39 saiga rifles are easily converted to accept standard AK mags ($20 and a half hour) so that was not a big issue.
I do have several rifles which take very scarce ammo. They are unique and fun to take out once in a while but see very limited use do to the small/expensive amount of ammo available. Even the specialized loading clips can be hard to come by.
For now the rifles and pistols will get very limited use as hunting season approaches. Currently a lot of time behind some of my shotguns.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Some people do not have any choice but to hunt with shotguns during deer season, (example Illinois). I went to high school in Illinois, was very happy to leave once I graduated (five days later I joined the Navy).
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I forget sometimes how lucky we are here in AZ. I can use my shotguns for deer but then what would I do with my SKS. Currently it is Dove season here, opened Sept.1. My poor 410's have seen a lot of use in the past few days. I think the family is getting tired of eating dove. Since I am only allowed to have 20 on hand at any one time my friends and I eat a lot of dove. Quail and squirrel open Oct. 1st then my deet hunt is at the end of Oct and Elk the first part of Dec. I have been toying with the idea taking my PSL out for ELk since I spent sooooo much time getting the scope set right. The Daewoo would be great for deer but I have not spent enough time with it to be comfortable, maybe next year.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I wonder how the 7.62x39 V-MAX round would do on deer and boar. Ever used it or know someone who has?? The soft point stuff I've used was pretty good for the little deer in Florida (they're pretty small). I do like the SKS for deer, 30-30 too, I've used both. There were a lot of years I just couldn't go. Almost had to learn all over again.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

I have only used Winchester super x soft points. I know they stop a javelina very well. Our deer here are not very big either. The 7.62x39 round is a bit much but it works.
I have seen the 5.45x39 soft point ammo and that would be perfect for our deer. Guess I will need to buy some up and get to the range after this hunting season.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I spoted some soft nose 5.45X39 one time while doing research, then went back it was out of stock. But, haven't really checked in a while. Mostly it's russian milsup, but the prices are good.