I you use a Hoque Jr Grip on your P64...

Info, pictures, advice...
kragluver

I you use a Hoque Jr Grip on your P64...

Post by kragluver »

...and carry IWB.

In Texas, we sweat a lot in the summer. I shot my P64 quite a bit today and decided to do a detailed cleaning. My P64 wears Zee grips with a Hogue Jr grip over them (I hated doing that because the Zee's look good!). Anyway, I noticed a bit of rust under the Hogue today when I field stripped the pistol. I took the grips off and there was quite a bit of surface rust on the front strap and under the grips on the frame. A bit of scrubbing with Kroil took care of it, but I decided the Hogue is probably not a good idea for this pistol. It traps your sweat under the grip and it "wicks" under the plastic grips and onto the frame. This sweat gets missed when you wipe down the pistol after a day of carrying.

Just a though...
shinerjohn

Re: I you use a Hoque Jr Grip on your P64...

Post by shinerjohn »

Dang! I just put the Hogue Jr grip on my newest P64. I use a US Gunleather holster. How do you carry yours? I have had problems with the grip screws rusting up on me, so I wanted to try the Hogue Jr.

Anyone else had this experience?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

shinerjohn wrote:Dang! I just put the Hogue Jr grip on my newest P64. I use a US Gunleather holster. How do you carry yours? I have had problems with the grip screws rusting up on me, so I wanted to try the Hogue Jr.

Anyone else had this experience?
Yes, I was carrying mine last summer playing golf and hanging out up north around Gladwin and found rust up underneath the Hogue so it no longer gets the wrap treatment.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

The wrap will come this evening! Rust is not my friend!

Thanks guys!
kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I liked how the pistol felt in my hand with the Hogue, but it definitely causes sweat to wick up under the grip. You'll still want to remove the plastic grips often and keep a light coat of oil on the frame.

I carry using an IWB leather holster using a sweat guard. I have begun getting more serious about wearing a T-shirt tucked in to help protect the pistol.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

I have those grips on mine and I carry my P-64 in a small pocket holster in my pocket and not IWB. I have no rust on mine. You might try a product called Eezox. I works great on my guns. just google it. I bought mine on ebay but MidwayUSA has it also.
gwbiker

Post by gwbiker »

Rust on a P-64? We don't got no rust - we don't need no steekin' rust in Arizona. :mrgreen:
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I don't use a Hogue Jr grip, but I understand why some might, if rust is a issue because of sweat or moisture of any kind getting under your grips I suggest using EEZOX on your guns, its the best rust preventer I have found.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-gun-4ozc.html
kragluver

Post by kragluver »

Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out.

As for pocket holsters - I've tried them. I didn't care for pocket carry. Just my personal dress habits/opinion. A good buddy of mine swears by pocket carry for his P64.
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

I got one of these, it works great for the P64 You can carry a CZ82 but it pulls down on the vest more... the bottom inside pockets (not meant to carry but do work) are big enough to carry a full sized pistol like a 1911 without printing if you carry it right.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=556274
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

waltham41 wrote:I got one of these, it works great for the P64 You can carry a CZ82 but it pulls down on the vest more... the bottom inside pockets (not meant to carry but do work) are big enough to carry a full sized pistol like a 1911 without printing if you carry it right.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=556274

I have been looking at those... how does the sizing seem to you?
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

I ordered 2 sizes bigger just to be on the safe size, as long as it doesnt shrink a great deal it will be fine. Sturdy well made piece of clothing. I like it.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Ok that is what I will order then as well! Thanks
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
waltham41

Post by waltham41 »

No problem, hope you like yours as much as I like mine
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

papabear wrote:I don't use a Hogue Jr grip, but I understand why some might, if rust is a issue because of sweat or moisture of any kind getting under your grips I suggest using EEZOX on your guns, its the best rust preventer I have found.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-gun-4ozc.html
In case you hadn't noticed I mentioned the Eezox a couple of posts ahead of you but you provided an actual link which is cool.