Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
dmarschal
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Cracked Marschal Grips

Post by dmarschal »

Greetings to all!
It's been a long time I stopped here.

I've heard from a customer that our grips started to crack???

The grips're made super tight and they may crack when one tries to install them by force. I think minimal fitting may required to fit to the pistol. I also think removing them is harder than putting them on.

Anyone else having issues with the grips?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day!!!
Dennis
blackblade

Re: Cracked Marschal Grips

Post by blackblade »

No problems here. I had one panel crack on a CZ-82 (Padauk) a few years ago but it repaired easy with superglue and had no problems since. I also have several marschal grips for the CZ-82, P-64 and Tokarev with difference wood types and stains and have had no problems with any of them. I will be ordering more I am sure.

Thanks!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Dennis

yes its been a long time , I hope business is good for you , and the your family is doing good too,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Good to hear from you. How is your daughter? I think the last I heard she was having to deal with medical problems. Hope she is back to normal and running around wearing you all out!
dmarschal
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dmarschal »

Thank you for your kind words!
All my three daughters, Nora :D , Adel :D , Blanka :D are feeling fine.

My "second job", the gripmaking is rolling well too. I'm about to redesigh the outside of the P64 grips. I was/am looking for some kind of logo to engrave on the grips. I did not find any. )-:
Any idea?
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

I just got my Oiled Walnut grips and want to say thank you, they are amazing!
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Off topic I know, but I would love to find a way to get a FEG R78 into the USA.
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

While not a major crack, I've had my walnut grip break a corner over the magazine extension. I've had these grips and have been carrying pretty much daily for a little over a year now, and this is on the "outside" according to how I carry.

I chalk this up to "user wear and tear," but figure I'll include a picture tonight so you can have it for reference. I'm lucky to be able to CCW at my work at the first place (a university), I'd rather not just whip out my P64 at work to take a picture. ;)

EDIT: As promised, pictures. Sorry for the lower quality, my normal camera is out of commission, leaving me only my cell phone camera.
WardenWolf

Post by WardenWolf »

Well, that seals my decision to get the short version of the P-64 grips as soon as I can afford them. I kind of thought the unsupported edge was a bad idea, and would make releasing the magazine tougher. That last picture pretty much confirms what I was thinking. The original grips are actually fairly comfortable for me, despite my large hands, so the extra length wouldn't do much for me. The P-64 recoils more or less straight back into the web of your hand instead of having a lot of angular rotation like larger guns do, so the extra pinkie support really isn't needed.

I've got a set of your Makarov grips on the way in the mail (last tracking info shows them in New York), and if I'm as pleased with them as I expect, I'll definitely be ordering a set for my P-64 and my Tokarev. I may even order an extra P-64 set as a gift to my father. After he saw the P-64 in person, and compared it to all the newer commercial guns that were twice the money, he was sold on the P-64. He loves the gun, and his only complaint is that it's too easy to get his and mine mixed up. :lol: I figure different custom grips would help in that department. :D :D
Carrying a Mak may not be PC, but whatever works.
brittonp

Post by brittonp »

First off let me tell you that I love the look of the grips! The two wooden sets that I ordered from you arrived last week and I put them on this weekend before hitting the range. The slim line, no thumb rest pair were the keepers. I had problems getting the screw to align on the thumb rest grips and haven't been able to get them on yet. Still working on that though. The slim line grips look and fit great, however I received them with a small chip on the back side top corner of one, and the other side panel cracked in the same location while firing the pistol. I'd like to simply hit the affected area with some fine grit sand paper and then touch up the staining on it. Is that recommended? If so, what stain would you recommend using?

Thanks,
Britton Purdee
Attachments
IMG00027.jpg
IMG00031.jpg
IMG00030.jpg
richymak

Post by richymak »

Marschal,
I never did thank you for my PA-63 grips.They were awesome. I can tell you how happy I am with these. As being a "Lefty" The slim grips with no right thumb rest is a blessing. Thanks again.

Rich
ToolBane

Post by ToolBane »

hey dmarschal, my grips split in the same spot as brittonp. they went on snug but without force and broke when I fired it. I love love love these grips but for $70 I am not thrilled. I have emailed you several times and just want them replaced. I hope very much that this gets taken care of. I will do whatever you need to get this taken care of.
dmarschal
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dmarschal »

Greetings all!

It's Dennis writing. Could ones with cracked grips send pictures to my mail address, please. Please set macro mode on your camera. If you can't send pictures then send your contact information please (initials and ZIP code is enough).

I will do my best to correct this cracking problem!

Dennis
dmarschal@yahoo.co.uk

Edit:
Do you think a beavertail model like this would help to solve the cracking issue? The beavertail of the frame is covered. This also helps if the grips hurt the web of your hand.
http://www.marschalgrips.com/wip/wip.html#p230

Edit #2:
I just finished the beavertail model. Please see the pictures below. The tang of the grips is beefed up by 3 millimeters. This changes the barrel angle by 6 degrees down.

I hope you like these changes. Your opinions are always welcome.
Attachments
this is how a flat grip compares to the beavertail one.
this is how a flat grip compares to the beavertail one.
rear view
rear view
left side view
left side view
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Those are nifty!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
dmarschal
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dmarschal »

Greetings all!

In the mean time I finished / redesigned the P64 grips to be more sanding friendly. Now they're easier to sand and it takes a bit less time comparing to the last model.

I added a bumper area that will (hopefully) help with the recoil. Also, the thumbrest has more ergonomic shape.

Now some photos of the final beavertail -style grips. I was looking after some kind of official Radom logo but I haven't find any. I engraved P64 and "11 in a circle" on the grips.

I hope you like them.

Thumb rest model. Wattle wood, red finish with P64 logo engraved.
p64-thumbrest-wattle-red-checkered-p64logo-4.jpg
Thumb rest and finger cuts model, Ash wood, brown finish, checkered with (11) engraved.
p64-thumbrest-fingercuts-ash-brown-checkered-11logo-6.jpg
p64-thumbrest-fingercuts-ash-brown-checkered-11logo-5.jpg