#$%&^*!@# these things are hard to work on!

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
nlvoldy40

Re: #$%&^*!@# these things are hard to work on!

Post by nlvoldy40 »

Thanks for the help guys. I've thought also about cutting the detent spring a tiny bit to see if it makes it a little easier to operate the safety. I think this might relieve a little pressure on the safety to prevent brakage, down the road. Any thoughts on this.
nlvoldy40
longboat

Post by longboat »

Questios:
My P-64 functions & shots fine. It decocks with the safety on when you drop the slide but does not decock when you just put the safety on? I was under the impression that switching the safety on would decock.
Also sometimes after a full clip fired the chambered round indicator will extend approx a 1/4" out of the slide?
Any info?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

longboat

clean the gun

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nlvoldy40

Post by nlvoldy40 »

Norm, any thoughts on my question about shortening the detent spring ?

nlvoldy40
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

nlvoldy40

you can try it , do you have another spring if it doesn't work

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

nlvoldy40 wrote:Norm, any thoughts on my question about shortening the detent spring ?

nlvoldy40
I wasn't going to mention it for fear of scorn, but I did this with mine. Worked fine. :mrgreen:
nlvoldy40

Post by nlvoldy40 »

Thanks guys think I'll give it a try, if it doesn't work I 'll go the Glock spring route. But got to do something, the safety is a bummer , almost afraid to use the decocker. I think that might have a bearing on the brakage of the safety.
longboat

Post by longboat »

Normsutton,
Thanks. I hav been just field stripping for cleaning but looks like I will have to go futher. Hav only put 1 box thru it.
longboat

Post by longboat »

NormS
I still have the same question which is answered nowhere including Dr. What's his face useless manual. Should'nt the pistol decock upon switching the "Safety" to "safe"?
Thanks
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Yes longboat, your hammer should drop when you place the safety to the SAFE postion. The safety has a cutout when in the FIRE position that allows the disconnector? to not interfere with the sear's engagement of the hammer. However, when the safety is placed to SAFE, the disconnector is pushed downward and causes the sear to disengage the hammer allowing it to fall. Meanwhile, the safety has the little guards that keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin. Try cleaning the gun well by stripping it down completely. It's a relatively easy task. If that does not work, then you may have some worn parts and you'll need to T-shoot further.

Remove your right grip panel and watch that disconnector linkage move up and down as you actuate the safety lever. You'll see what I'm talking about.
longboat

Post by longboat »

Thanks juniusstaylor, I had fiddled with the disconnector but haven't had much time lately to mess around with it. It acts like the disconnector, which properly disconnects the trigger, almost disconnects the sear but not quite which is why with the least flip of the slide it will decock. May be some wear?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

longboat wrote:It acts like the disconnector, which properly disconnects the trigger, almost disconnects the sear but not quite which is why with the least flip of the slide it will decock. May be some wear?
More than likely, yes. I'm sure it is some wear over the past 46 years. The point that the safety touches the disconnector is kind of flimsy. It's right on the edge and is very susceptible to wear at that point. The disconnector shouldn't be very worn if any wear at all.
Shuga

Post by Shuga »

UGH. This is on my list of things to take apart and now I'm a bit nervous.... Oh well, if it doesn't want to work easy for me then I'll just learn form my mistakes. :)