Now for something completely different

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Post by kempin »

By the way, Abwehr, is the mainspring housing you are talking about on the bottom rear of the grip? If so, the RIA I just received has an arched housing. (If so, maybe that's why I thought it felt "right.") Perhaps they have changed this since you got yours.

Then again, I may have my parts mixed up.

And personally, I like the look and feel of the smooth grips. Of course this is my first, so I have nothing to compare it to, but again, thanks for your advice.

And p64, you are not the only one to name your pistols. My S&W model 66 is the "old lady," my 44 mag super blackhawk is the "Big Bad," and my p-64 (which, by the way, is a very comfortable carry piece in a don hume iwb holster) is "Mini Me." Still need a name for the Rock Island, though. Don't know the 1911 well enough to come up with anything yet . . . any suggestions?

God bless and straight shooting,

kempin
p64

Post by p64 »

kempin

You'll find her to be refined, classy, smooth. How does Belle strike you for a name?

Did you field strip her yet? Just wondering as some people new to the 1911 have a problem getting the slide stop back in. If you have this problem I can explain it and provide a short video via email.
p64
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

Yes, the Mainspring Housing is on the rear bottom of the grip, under the Trigger Safety. Mine came with the flat housing like the 1911, and I prefer the arched housing as if "fiils" my hand better. maybe they are using the A1 arched housing now. The reason I put the GI plastic grip panels on was make it "appear" like the GI 1911A1 a little closer. With my changes, you cannot tell from the GI until you can see the slide stampings. These are great pistols for the money!!
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

I now understand why 1911 fans are so devoted...
Oh, there is much more! When you are done playing with your new 1911, and trying various kinds of ammo and such, take your gun to a reliable smith for a trigger job. The trigger on a 1911 can be set to break at 4 pounds or less (I don't recommend "or less" in a carry pistol). Besides the light trigger, when you get it back from your smith, you'll find there is no grit and no creep. It'll run you maybe $100 at most, more likely in the $75 range, but it is money well spent!
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

I have a SW 1911 and love it. I have to admit, though, I can shoot better with the P64 than with the 1911. I think because of the recoil.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Abwehr--

Apparently they are selling them with an arched housing now. Lucky for me.

p64--

I did field strip it, and I got it back together . . . although it was a learning experience. I would appreciate any tips you have.

I like this pistol! I think a trigger job is the ONLY thing I would consider giving it for now.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
p64

Post by p64 »

Kempin

What part are you having difficulty with? The slide stop? Barrel bushing?
If the slide stop: Don't try to start low on the slide and push it up. Instead, after lining up the notch, put the slide stop almost where it should be and push down while rocking up and down ever so slightly. After a few tries you'll "get the feel" for it.

If you have any questions just email me. I have video's and pictures that I took and will email them to you.
George.Pelter@gmail.com

George
Last edited by p64 on April 10th, 2006, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

I think you have the answer for questions on stripping the pistol from "p64". It is great to have guys like "p64" that is so willing to help anyone.

Glad to hear they are selling these with the arched housing now; this makes it the 1911A1. I agree that a trigger would help the pistol a lot. Even my Series 70 Colt I used to shoot a LOT, had a trigger job done to it.
oldtanker

Post by oldtanker »

As you can see by my Call ID I spent 20 yrs in army. 10 + in Tanks and Cav units. I don't want to count the rds I've fired from 45s. I was looking for a 45 for a truck seat gun, for when I am in the canyon and high country here in New Mexico, in the border areas ALLWAYS be armed. I really don't want to carry expensive SA's and Kimbers in these back remote areas to get all scuffed up so I got me a RIA 45 at the White Sands Missile Range retail sales at a great price. I have fired 400 plus rds and never had a problem. I mod the recoil spring and put in a full lenth rod and just love the gun. got the checkered walnut grips from SARCO for $12 or so and its a great gun. Never have to worry about dropping in the dirt, or down a canyon as its just like an old army 45 always works. If it gets lost then I'll be mad for awhile then get another.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

oldtanker,

I love the .45 auto myself and the RIA seems to be one of the best "Combat" type pistol that is on the market today. i don't like the parts being made in China, but they have done a good job with them. The RIA appears to be like the original GI .45, a good strong pistol that works all the time. Is it the most accurate, No; does it have all the "bells & whistles" of the newer .45s, No; does it have places to attach flashlights, lasers, etc, No; is it ambedextrious for lefties, No; does it perform, YES!

I like it because it is like shooting an original GI pistol. With the price of originals, I don't want to take a chance on breaking a part, ar scuffing up the finish on my originals. The RIA fills the bill for me. I did change the grip panels to the GI plastic and changed the back strap to the A1 type with the swell. Until you get close to read the engraving on the slide, it looks exactly like the WWII Gi version. The other good thing is you can add most of the "bells & whistle" to make it into what you need.

The only modifications I have made other that the grips and back strap, was to polish the feed ramp. Excellent pistol and a great buy.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

abwehr, couldn't agree more, I have the RIA MS .45 (mid size) 4" bbl, I picked up mine at my local dealer for $295, it was a trade in. Someone had put night sights on it, after three mags the front sight fell off, they didn't dove tail the front sight, the dealer replaced the front sight for me at no cost, he said I was on his ten best customer list. I replaced the grips and polished the feed ramp too, great shooter with every brand/type of ammo I have fed it, love it, carry it in the console of my truck in "condition one".
POINT SHOOTER
kempin

Post by kempin »

Hey guys,

Anyone interested in picking up one of these Rock Islands, the prices are definitely going up. Still a great buy for the money. Every time I take mine out, I am more satisfied with the purchase. Shoots VERY well.

God bless,

-Kempin
p64

Post by p64 »

Shoots VERY well.

God bless,

-Kempin
Yeah, they point naturally :)